National Railroad Passenger Corporation

60 Massachusetts Ave, NE

Washington, DC 20002

www.amtrak.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ATK-02-065

April 26, 2002

DAVID GUNN APPOINTED AMTRAK PRESIDENT AND CEO

Amtrak Board of Directors Cite Strong Experience and Leadership, Achievements in Service Improvement and Cost Control in Choosing Former Head of Largest U.S. and Canadian Transit Agencies

WASHINGTON, DC – Amtrak Board Chairman John Robert Smith today announced the appointment of David L. Gunn as President and CEO of the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) effective May 15, 2002.

Gunn has previously headed up both the largest transit system in the United States and in Canada, serving as President of the New York City Transit Agency from 1984 to 1990 and as Chief General Manager of the Toronto Transit Commission from 1995 to 1999.

"David Gunn comes aboard with exceptional experience and leadership skills to guide Amtrak at a time of tremendous opportunity for the railroad," said Chairman Smith. "David brings to Amtrak an international reputation of reinvesting in better track and fleet, enhancing service, improving financial performance and planning for the future. He has forged good working relationships with labor, local communities, businesses and all levels of government, and is eager to roll up his sleeves, join forces with employees and stakeholders, and chart a course for Amtrak’s success."

"I have always been a proponent of a strong national passenger rail network," said Gunn. "While we face substantial financial and physical challenges, I’m convinced that by securing adequate operational and capital funding, we will be able to rebuild our plant and equipment in an effective and efficient manner, and continue to provide a high-quality service to the travelling public. I’m looking forward to joining Amtrak."

Gunn most recently served as Chief General Manager at the Toronto Transit Commission from 1995 until 1999. Managing the largest transit system in Canada, he led 10,000 employees serving 1.3 million daily passengers with a system of 1,500 buses, 650 heavy rail cars and 250 streetcars. In this position, he improved the system’s cost recovery ratio from 66% to over 80% and implemented a State of Good Repair Capital Program.

Prior to leading the Toronto Transit Commission, Gunn was the General Manager for the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) from 1991-1994. While at WMATA, Gunn developed the accelerated construction plan and initiated building of three of four remaining segments of the planned 103-mile rail system. Gunn also developed and implemented a multi-year $1 billion capital rehabilitation program, and strongly improved productivity at the agency.

Gunn was the President of the New York City Transit Authority from 1984 through 1990, and is credited for establishing strong fiscal controls, corporate goals and performance measures, while rebuilding track, railcar and bus fleets at the nation’s largest transit system.

From 1979 through 1984 Gunn was General Manager/Chief Operations Officer for the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA). In this position, he reduced the system’s operating costs from $138 million to $97 million per year, while rebuilding and replacing its subway cars, buses, trackless trolleys, and trolley fleets. He also planned and negotiated the takeover of Philadelphia's 400-mile, 800-train-per-day commuter rail system from Conrail and Amtrak.

Among Gunn's other past executive positions, he worked for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority as the Director of Operations in 1975-1979 and as Director of Commuter Rail in 1974-1975. From 1969 through 1974, Gunn was the Assistant Vice-President for the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad. He worked for the New York Central System in 1967-1968 and for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad in 1964-1967 at the beginning of his career.

Gunn graduated from Harvard College in 1959 and continued his education at Harvard Graduate School of Business, where he received his MBA in 1964. From 1959 to 1962, Mr. Gunn served in the U.S. Naval Reserve.

Effective April 27th, E.S. "Stan" Bagley, Jr. will serve as Acting President and CEO of Amtrak until Gunn assumes his new responsibilities. Bagley, a 28-year veteran of the company, is currently Executive Vice President of Operations, overseeing the company’s four business units as well as security, safety, and operational support functions.

Additionally, Smith and the board of directors recognized and thanked Ellen Dorfman, a partner in the executive search firm of Krauthamer and Associates for its instrumental role in the recruitment and selection of Gunn as Amtrak President and CEO.

# # #

just noticed this....intresting choice by amtrak. Hopes of amtrak going lax on trackside graffiti just disappeared I think. even if they get cash strapped...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Canadiano

Gunn got rid of the scratchtags on the TTC (I used to be the most up a few years ago). One day, he got the public hating on that shit large through the media, and got rid of every goddamn piece of glass that had a mark on it. Expensive operation, but he got it done because of his media manipulation. Bullshit. All that work I did gone. Who says glass doesn't get buffed? Now that he's gone, the scratchtags are back, although never the way my boys and I got up. How can something like graffiti be such a strong scapegoat?

Originally posted by railroadjerk

dang. the buff is back.

im not so sure, i think he will be more concerned with amtraks horrendous track record, with graff shit was getting buffed on the northeast corridor alot about 2 years ago, now shit is smashed and has been running for awhile, but who knows he seems to have a brain so lets see what kind of magic he throws our way...

Guest krowteN

i would imagine graffiti being the last thing on gunn's agenda being head of amtrack//to spite his notorious legacy.

"we shall overcome the wrath of david gunn"

ven one

Guest THE LAW

christ....not him again. although THE LAW does have a certain admiration for his accomplishments in the past 20 years, even if he doesn't agree with (the graffiti part of) them.

Originally posted by THE LAW

christ....not him again. although THE LAW does have a certain admiration for his accomplishments in the past 20 years, even if he doesn't agree with (the graffiti part of) them.

my thoughts exactly. He may be a dick, but he's got a deserved reputation for "turning things around"...and with amtrak on the brink, perhaps he's what they need right now.

Originally posted by krowteN

i would imagine graffiti being the last thing on gunn's agenda being head of amtrack

seriously, theres bigger fish to fry, the economic situation amtrak is facing and even public relations in general.....think about how many times youve told someone your taking the amtrack and you get some comment about a train wreck......graffiti is the last thing amtrak needs to worry about.....

besides, can you even see half of it through a foot tall window at 80 mph???

Subway Art

This is from one of the NYC papers earlier this year...

[[ LOSING THE WAR ON SCRATCHITI SUBWAY WINDOW VANDALS FRUSTRATE CITY

New York Daily News; New York, N.Y.; Jan 29, 2002; PETE DONOHUE Daily News Staff Writer;

Catching the glass vandals, meanwhile, is no easy task. Unlike graffiti vandals, whose elaborate work requires arm movements that cops can spot in tunnels, train yards and on cars, the people who put graffiti scratches on windows can lean against ...]]

Writing will never die in NYC, it's been 13 years since the last "bombed" train ran regularly in the city (David Gunn's big achievment) yet the culture continues to thrive. Not only scratchies and acid tags but stations, tunnels,rooftops, etc. continue to be crushed on every line. When visiting NYC do your part to help keep the culture alive.

Also, read the book "Taking the Train", it goes into excellent detail about how while the city concentrated on eliminating writing from the trains (the aesthetic concern), real victimizing crime in the subways continued to increase, it's always "property before people" in this pathetic capitalist society.

Guest MONSTERKIDZ

i wish he would come back to ny and replace all the scratched windows here

thats such like a 12 year old thing to do fuckin toys....

sometimes i really really hate graffiti

Guest railroadjerk
Originally posted by CRUSH KILL DESTROY

im not so sure, i think he will be more concerned with amtraks horrendous track record, with graff shit was getting buffed on the northeast corridor alot about 2 years ago, now shit is smashed and has been running for awhile, but who knows he seems to have a brain so lets see what kind of magic he throws our way...

pick up the latest issue of trains magazine, they talk about how they are giving 1.3 billion, with 720 mil for infrastructure just for the notheast corridor. 2003-2008. pretty interesting, thought you might be interested too.

Guest professor poopatronic
Originally posted by MONSTERKIDZ

i wish he would come back to ny and replace all the scratched windows here

thats such like a 12 year old thing to do fuckin toys....

sometimes i really really hate graffiti

shut up. i'd rather see a dope scribe on the subway than some bullshit legal wall.

i think it might be cool to see amtrak fail, the monopoly end and prices on rail travel drop to reasonable again.

i don't know shit about gunn, but if amtrak collapses then other companies could step in and instead of driving everywhere to meet up with folks, we might all be able to ride the rails for a decent price.

i don't know. . .you folks that read train mag. might have a better idea if what i am talking about is even feasible. . . but anything would be a big improvement.

amtrak failing would definately not be a good thing. You'd see the really profitable stuff stay afloat (NE corridor, california, etc.) and the rest of the country would have patchwork service here and there, wherever somone scraped enough cash together to run somthing. Railroads still dont want to run passenger service...and they arent exactly receptive to having other agencies run passenger service on their networks, disrupting traffic, and causing wear. This is one of the big gripes amtrak has always had...they fought tooth and nail to get anything from freight railroads...

oh, and to clarify for bear. amtrak was created by the government in the 70s because none of the major railroads wanted to be burdoned with running passenger service anymore. They werent making money, and wanted to be absolved of their responsibilities for it...so they gave a big wad of cash and equipment to the government agency and said "you do it!" thats why amtrak is around. Its not some monopoly holding back other people from running cheap passenger service...its pretty much the only thing keeping trains around at all, outside of the corridor areas.

Archived