Stencil help...

Guest Loner

Guest Loner

hey, ive been painting for about the year now, and i was planning on trying some stenciling this year. ive dont a search for it on the forum and read most the threads, but im still not sure about a few things...

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/Loner/face-stencil6.jpg'>

that's the pic im planning on doing first, not sure if there's too much detail or not? also im not sure how to do part's where its and island with nothing around it, like the nose piece and the left cannister on the mask, i did hear about using mesh but wouldn't that leave a pattern across the whole piece? any help appreciated

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hopefully tha pik is better than tha scan is...

but say that whole white sheet its on was your stencil...

i would cut out the 'white' parts in the face/mask area... and there you would have it...

or cut out the black either way... whatever you cut out black/white tha other will be left behind when you paint it...

tease

best shit for stenciling would be an overhead projector sheet and a butane frisket cutter...

if you dont have that try any thick paper or board, and an exacto knife

just cut out the white parts, or if theres a "floating" part just use your artisitic ability and connect it somehow so it looks good

thats it

have fun stenciling

The best shit to use make a stencil would be an art accessory called ulano....It's very thin and used to make very very intricate stencils.....Your pic would be a cakewalk with it.....You should be able to pick some up at your local artstore or whatever....Kinda pricy, but worth it....Just tape it over your pic, and cut it out with a small razor or boxcuter...

layers

i've found that doing layers works best for detailed shit. yours is pretty simple though, so you'll only need 2 layers... cut out the black part on one board, then cut out all the white on another board... that way you don't only have to do the basic positive/negative space deal... you can play around with colors and shit... so yeah.. layers are good.. try working with em and see what you can do..

Guest Loner

thanx for all the input, i think im gong to have to clean it up and make it a bit more simple. once i get it done and put it up, ill post a pic

a butane frisket cutter is a tool with a super small point that is heated like a btane curling iron, so not only does it cut it melts the frisket so you get really exact cuts. Its most ly for airbrush artists so thats why it came to mind

look in an airbrush magazine, about $40 plus shipping and handling

Archived