Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Spain agrees Venezuela arms deal

Discussion in 'News' started by Æ°, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Æ°

Æ° Senior Member

Link here: BBC news

Venezuela and Spain have signed a number of trade agreements, including the controversial sale of Spanish military equipment.
    Opposition parties in both countries have criticised the deal reached in Venezuela's capital, Caracas.

But Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said the equipment would be used for peaceful purposes.

It includes Spain's naval patrol vessels and military transport planes.

'Instruments of peace'

The agreements were signed at the end of Mr Zapatero's two-day visit to Venezuela.

Several of the deals involve Spain's and Venezuela's respective oil companies, PDVSA and Repsol.

But the most controversial is the sale of Spanish coastal patrol vessels and C-295 transport planes to the Venezuelan military.

Opposition parties in the two countries have criticised the arms deal, echoing earlier concerns by the US of Venezuela's plans to buy helicopters and guns from Russia.

But President Chavez said these were not weapons of war but instruments of peace.

The boats will be used, he said, to step up Venezuela's coastal patrols against the drugs trade.

While the transport planes would be used mainly for humanitarian missions inside and outside the country.

Mr Zapatero said he believed the criticisms levelled by the Spanish opposition were based on lack of information rather than any other intention.

And another article for contrast

---------------------------------------------

http://www.isn.ethz.ch/news/sw/details.cfm?id=11019

ISN SECURITY WATCH (31/03/05) - Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero announced on Wednesday that his country would sell €1.3 billion worth of military equipment to Venezuela, risking harsh criticism from the US and from opposition groups at home, who have called the deal a “monstrous error”.

Zapatero made the decision during a visit to Venezuela on Wednesday, where he joined a summit of Latin American leaders, including the presidents of Colombia and Brazil, Alvaro Uribe and Inacio Lula da Silva.

In its largest arms deal in years, Spain will sell Venezuela 10 C-295 transport planes, four coastal patrol corvettes, and four small coastguard patrol boats that would be used by the army to monitor the country’s coastlines, combat terrorism, fight drug traffickers, and launch natural disaster rescue operations, the British daily Independent reported.

Spanish opposition leader Mariano Rajoy of the Popular Party harshly criticized Zapatero’s announcement, calling the deal “irresponsible”.

The Spanish prime minister has shrugged off all criticism, saying that “none of this equipment has any offensive capability whatsoever” and that the deal was only intended to fight terrorism and hunger.

Washington is concerned about Venezuela’s growing arms stockpile. Both Russia and Brazil have recently sold weapons and military equipment to left-wing President Hugo Chavez. Washington is most concerned that Chavez - whom it labels as authoritarian - could undermine US influence in the region. In April 2002, Washington backed a coup against Chavez that failed.

2. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

yeah, i guess we are nervous that someone we don't like is amassing arms.
    good for them.
    we tried to overthrow their democratically elected government for chrissakes.
    they are mad as hell and they ain't gon' take that sheet no mo

3. CACashRefund

CACashRefund 12oz Loyalist

Very interesting, i dont remember the exact number but i think i read somewhere that venezuela was going to buy something like 200,000 AK-47s from russia. Shit is crazy, not to mention that Venezuela has a shitload of oil but at the moment isnt pumping that shit out at full capacity.

4. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

it's not crazy.
    they see whats up.
    we try to overthrow their govt, then we invade a sovereign oil rich nation.

they are hedging their bets and it is a smart thing to do.
    it may only be a matter of time before we try to install a govt we like down there (again)
    and we have a powerful military
    (although who knows what it will look like in a few years)
    they know to secure thier interests.

5. CACashRefund

Some info on Venezuela, found HERE

6. chivita

chivita New Jack

i don't get what's up with this HUGO guy . he's castros apprentince am i right cause i don't know what beef he's trying to pick. i herd he's trying to make Venezuela what communist . so my theory is we're heading for WWlll. just mine . my friend say it' the end of the world and he trying to smoke before he dies . he a conspiracy nut but what i think is happening is that the U.S is fuckin with to much it can handle , and BUSH really isn't makeing things better. just me thu.

7. CACashRefund

Hugo isnt fucking with anyone, everyone is fucking with him. US wants his oil, FARC gurillas use his country to launch attacks on Colombia and Colombia retaliates by attacking Venezuela, not directly but they have been known to pursue FARC guerillas across the border and i remember reading somewhere that the two countries got into a bit of a skirmish over that shit.