Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

LET'S GO TO BRITT

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by KaBar, Jun 25, 2002.

1. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

The 102nd National Hobo Convention will be held in Britt, Iowa the weekend of August 9-10-11. A lot of people arrive early and make a week of it. A lot of it is bullshit, but there are some good things too, and gatherings like Britt (and others, particularly Dunsmuir, CA) are unprescedented opportunities to meet and get to know trainhoppers and "real deal" tramps.
    There is a "Hobo cemetary" at Britt, a city-owned "jungle" (read "park with a boxcar") and the National Hobo Museum.

IF YOU GO, be careful about breaking any laws in Britt. There are laws prohibiting public urination and drinking and the local police force brings in help from surrounding jurisdictions to deal with the greater-than-normal numbers of visitors to town. Forget about motels or renting a room anywhere---the closest available motel rooms will probably be Mason City, about 35 miles away. It's strictly a camp-out deal, but enough real tramps show up that there is always a jungle with campfires, tents, etc. and also a lot of older former tramps in motor homes or camping out of a van or something like that, a few punk-anarchist-scavenger trainhoppers who often bring bicycles and so on. Quite a party. Just be cool about drinking in public.

Britt is on Route 18, about 35 miles west of Mason City, Iowa.

Britt still has intermittent train service, but it's not regular enough to depend upon to get to the Convention. A hundred years ago, when the convention was brought to Britt, there was daily train service, sometimes several a day that passed through Britt.

The telephone number of the National Hobo Museum is 641-843-9104.

Oh, and for pete's sake, don't hit anything in the town of Britt, unless you want to face a pissed-off local judge.

2. fr8burner

fr8burner Elite Member

thats not that far at all from here...i might have to find my way down there......i actually will probably be there...

3. Southern kid

Southern kid Elite Member

wish i could make it...sounds like fun.

4. Legal Speed

Legal Speed Junior Member

damn, im probebly the closest person to there. too bad i dont have a ride.. shouldn't be hard finding someone who wants to take me there and hang out with a bunch of hobos for a weekend.. :scramble:

5. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

Transportation To Britt

I'm sort of considering hopping to Britt, the problem is the risk of getting stranded. I wouldn't imagine lots of trains run between Houston and say, Mason City, just every day. Driving is more like it. Anybody in the Houston area want to go? All we need is a car that is reasonably affordable on gas mileage and plenty of coffee, LOL.

I might try hopping as close as I can get in 48 hours, and then go on in via Greyhound.

Back in the old days, I would have never attempted such a closely timed trip via train. I had no schedule, so it was just "head west until you finally ramble in--early or late, who knows?"

I need to do a little more planning. Anybody up for providing a place to crash at some mid-way point between Houston and Iowa?

6. Remi Martin

Remi Martin New Jack

wow, that sounds cool.
    whats up with Dunsmuir, CA get together?
    Im a bit curious how og hobotramps and what not would mix in with Cali writers.
    All the writers I know that paint trains do so in high end fashion and drive nice cars. We have a jungle in our yard. Not that I have a yard or paint trains, quite the contrary.
    not that im trynna make fun or clown,
    it would just be two opposite ends of the spectrum with the love of freights being the binding glue.

7. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

No Idea How Well They'd Jive

Most of the trainhoppers and writers I know that really click either do so on a personal level, or they hold some common belief, like punk music or anarchism. From what I can see, hoppers don't have a lot of genuine connections to graff, unless it's streaks.

8. Remi Martin

Remi Martin New Jack

most of the train hoppers i met have been chill...i met them young, i went to j/h and h/s next to a freight yard and was a bad kid with freinds always looking for someone to by us fortys.
    sounds cool though. if you go get a racker to roadtrip with you! and make him get a digi and post flicks for us.

9. WITS

WITS Member

Re: Transportation To Britt

If you're going to hop you need/want a partner? Email me if you're at all interested in the idea.

10. miz303

miz303 Banned

i spotted a brit...the other dae