Graffiti software

chron78

I just came across this forum and thought I'd mention some software I wrote called Graffiti Desktop. Basically it takes images or drawings and turns them into "graffiti" on your computer screen and then paints visualizations on them that move to the computer's sound. (uses Winamp plugins).

For instance, a picture of a wall with graffiti on it: the program will transform it into a canvas, outlining the detail of the picture leaving everything else transparent. Then it plays Winamp visualization plugins "inside" the canvas. Hard to explain, but screenshots are at the website..

http://www.chronware.com (its freeware)

Please give send me some feedback on it.. contact@chronware.com

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by GrimeyLife1@Jan 24 2005, 07:40 PM

is this worth d/l?

while i didnt find it really useful for anything, i did have fun playing with it for a minute. although i never figured out how to make it interact with the sound playing in winamp

-edit-

figured it out, but it didnt add any more entertainment really.

I'm trying to think of some things to do with it.. It kinda fits in the category of "generative art", which is just a buzzword for computer generated "art". I'm interested in the mental processes of visual imagery and sound. When I listen to music I'm always creating an MTV-like "video" in my head. Letting music visualizations play on top of specially shaped canvases adds another dimension to them, and I'm really just experimenting with the concepts of art, music, and visualizations. I decided to throw it all together in a package and release it.. I guess there are all kinds of possibilities.. I started out just reverse-engineering the Winamp protocol for the hell of it 5 years ago, then went on from there.

A lot of graffiti (most?) has text involved.. And the message is put out in an artistic way that conveys maybe even more information than the letters themselves. Ultimately im interested in how the mind works and studying/exeperimenting with different forms of communication... the idea of visual imagery "inside of text" and inside of other images seems really cool..

binaural/aesthetics is an interesting topic. glad you found 12oz. hopefully you'll stick around and get inspired. it might be neat if you could hook up with some of the artists such as joker, kema, etc and do a little project for a winamp plugin...visualizations, i mean. those cats seem to be mad busy, but you never know.