attn: cracked

another loser

i figured youd be able to help with this, maybe others, but your the first to come to mind.

about 2 weeks ago a car was either dragging something or a wheel had slipped or something, but for almost a mile down the line, about 8 inches from the rail on the inside the ties are torn up. its not that bad at first, but it gets pretty rough the farther you go down the line.

what im wondering is how important might this be to the workers to repair?

i know theyre planning to, because theyve set out white, feed sack type bags of spikes near the worst area.

would you expect them to get right on it, or wait a bit.

the area is a single line and normally long lines will fly through there, but ive noticed slower traffic my last few visits.

anyway, thanks.

-a.l.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

your right cracked is the man for this.

ill go out on a limb and say it depends if its a main or just a siding

if it was a main it would probably already be fixed. ive seen some sidings that are in such bad shape i cant believe they are used as frequently as they are.

Sounds pretty routine.

Dragging equipment or a minor 1-car derailment isn't that rare, and can cause the damage you described. It's possible there was more damage, but before you got there they fixed the worst of it to enable trains to continue running. Torn-up ties are not a big deal if the rails are intact. There may also be a speed restriction on that stretch until they do a full fix, that would explain slower trains.

yea, its kinda fucked up that theyre having to do so much in that area now.

not too long ago, i think the last big rain we had, it flooded the area (though thats not uncommon) but this time the water was over the tracks.

it washed out alot of the gravel and even in one spot, washed it out from under a section of track. a line came through before it was repaired and now theres a big dent in that section of the track.

they had crews out there redoing all the gravel for a quarter to a half mile of the stretch.

anyway, thanks for the info. one of our spots may still be in jeopardy though.

we'll see what the next year brings.

by the way, asshole, trains derail, as long as they dont land on you or your car, dont worry about it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 87centHitMan

If people would stop putting tails-up bad luck pennies on the tracks to watch them get flattened, these derailings wouldn't happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived