N E W Y O R K C I T Y

SaYoH

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

thats a failure picture because it has been done by pros dont mean it should be done by a wanna bee? ya dig? str8 FAILURE...he gets an F-. Now if homeboy was rockin on the side of the empire state building or some next shit we havnt seen yet then possibly i would give him a B for trying but a highway overpass? cmon been there done that! so ACROS your a corn on the cob from KFC my buttered whole wheat bagel

Too vs To

Too is an adverb, and two different meanings give it two different distinct placements.

Too meaning excessively, to an excessive degree

* You worry too much.

* Isn’t it just too obvious?

In these cases, the adverb too precedes an adjective.

Too meaning also, in addition

* Zelda is coming too.

* Don’t forget to buy red onions too.

To

The confusion about to and too comes from two obvious facts: the words look very much alike, the only difference being that too has one more o than to, and they sound exactly alike. Their distinct origins - to comes from Old English tō from Indo-European, while too had an extra step in Middle English - is just not salient and memorable for most people to remember.

It’s their meanings and use in sentences that set them apart. So let’s focus on the meaning aspect.

To is a particle. The infinitive in English consists of two parts: the particle to and the verb. Here are four infinitives:

to giggle to chuckle to snigger to laugh

If you see to before a verb, as above, it’s acting as part of the infinitive. Too never does that.

* Gretchen snickered when Hannah said she wanted to order fish and chips.

* To climb Mount Everest takes guts.

To used as a particle and too used to modify a following adjective can look deceptively similar:

* Edna went to work.

* Charles arrived too late.

You may have to actually stop and think: to before a verb or a prepositional phrase; too before an adjective to keep them separate in your mind.

To is a preposition. Definitions of preposition are not very clear, which might be one reason why it’s hard to distinguish to and too. The definitions of prepositions say things like “connects a substantive with a verb, adjective or other substantive.” It’s really hard to tell what that means.

Usually people just learn a group of standard prepositions, like

above about after around at before

behind beside beyond for from in

near of off on over past

through under until upon with without

and remember that they introduce prepositional phrases. Prepositional phrases can be either adjectival or adverbial phrase. Simply put, they can either modify nouns:

* the lady with the forty-two orange scarves (“with the forty-two orange scarves” tells which lady)

or they can modify verbs:

* was running through the spiky thorn bushes (“through the spiky thorn bushes” tells where the running was taking place).

It’s fairly easy to identify to as a preposition in sentences that have prepositional phrases.

* Ernesto skateboarded to the gym.

* Pauline spoke to her teacher.

Im tight i was riding the r train 2day looked in the tunnel i peeped this toy nigga caves do a baby ass fill over Dazone aow ... I was like dam this nigga the worst thing about it the train stops so i was stuck lookin at it ... And all i thought was how you do a dusty baby fill over this nigga you could still see the outline shit