***STREAKS, HOBO MONIKERS. POST EM IF YOU GOT EM!***

MOSER

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
well i would say there was 1/10th the number of streaks in 1988 plus with the number of those before 88 that have completely faded away and rusted over i would guess at best 1/2, plus the fraction of cars you looked at: (im not sure how many were there... even if there was 100, i would guess around 100,000 of those style cars were produced giving an eqaution of 1/1000)

therefore: (1/10) x (1/2) x (1/1000)= 0.000005 x 100= 0.0005% that is the percent chance of there being a visable moniker older than 1988 on one of those style cars in that scrapyard.

perhaps my logic is not sound... but im pretty sure that works out. of course there is probably a large percentage of error but thats about as close as you can estimate the odds.

still fun to look though!

just lurk around here normally...

But I'm stoked somebody has tried to find a way to quantify the rarity of old streaks!

I'm a math teacher so hunting streaks has always been a probabilistic/statistical exercise for me, too.

Some other variables to consider:

1.)"fade rate" or durability of streaks

2.) Yards streaks/monikers originate out of i.e. active RR workers sketching.

3.)Type of car perhaps...

For example I got many old streaks +15 yrs off of old BN green grainers and MP hoppers as well.

Also, check out Drake's Eq. :

The Drake equation states that:

where:

N is the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;

and

R* is the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy

fp is the fraction of those stars that have planets

ne is the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets

fℓ is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point

fi is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life

fc is the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space

L is the length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Or consider the many equations concerning data transmission in computer networks...

Last stuff:

1.) Has anybody discussed the durability of streaks, meaning which brand is most lasting?

2.) Has anybody listed scrap yards? I really want to frequent these spots where trains meet the scrapper's torch. I know only of a Youngstown OH spot. Many boxcars are getting cut up with many un-flicked streaks, logos and pieces.

Anyways, sorry about the long post. Great stuff in here as of late!

Peace,

SHRUGGS

Last stuff:

1.) Has anybody discussed the durability of streaks, meaning which brand is most lasting?

2.) Has anybody listed scrap yards? I really want to frequent these spots where trains meet the scrapper's torch. I know only of a Youngstown OH spot. Many boxcars are getting cut up with many un-flicked streaks, logos and pieces.

First off... nerd out. Damn.

Secondly.... I'm curious about those Q's above, too. I've really only ever used Markals, but there's got to be some stuff that'll linger. I know a lot of those old Gypsy Sphynxs were done in "crayon", so who knows.

Aaannnnnd... I'd kill for a scrap yard. Any tips on locating them? I caught a little string of old wooden-floor boxes abandoned next to an old paper plant in PA a few years back--some golden oldies from the early 70s on there--but nothing since.

Discuss!

Aaannnnnd... I'd kill for a scrap yard. Any tips on locating them? I caught a little string of old wooden-floor boxes abandoned next to an old paper plant in PA a few years back--some golden oldies from the early 70s on there--but nothing since.

Discuss!

Not on here. Most things fr8 are easily found with a little homework.

just lurk around here normally...

But I'm stoked somebody has tried to find a way to quantify the rarity of old streaks!

I'm a math teacher so hunting streaks has always been a probabilistic/statistical exercise for me, too.

Some other variables to consider:

1.)"fade rate" or durability of streaks

2.) Yards streaks/monikers originate out of i.e. active RR workers sketching.

3.)Type of car perhaps...

For example I got many old streaks +15 yrs off of old BN green grainers and MP hoppers as well.

Also, check out Drake's Eq. :

The Drake equation states that:

where:

N is the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;

and

R* is the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy

fp is the fraction of those stars that have planets

ne is the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets

fℓ is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point

fi is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life

fc is the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space

L is the length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Or consider the many equations concerning data transmission in computer networks...

Last stuff:

Anyways, sorry about the long post. Great stuff in here as of late!

Peace,

SHRUGGS

yeah i figured the fade rate was at best 1/2 being still visable but i dont know. i learned the drake equation in my astronomy class this year haha thats funny i was thinking of it too when i wrote my post. i dont think you could consider the origin of the streaks because we are talking about all streaks in general and not specific streaks. you could only do that say if you were estimating the probability of seeing an old rambler streak then you would know the probability is alot better in texas than in canada haha.

so much to consider!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...