Finnegans Wake

Kettiecat

Finnegans Wake by James Joyce 1939

Oh Dear Lord!!!

This book is nuts. If anyone else has read it or heard of it they will agree.

The author was trying to write in a way that shows more than one thing is going on in a given time space. example) you are thinking one thing, looking at soemthing, and feeling soemthing all at the same time. But our language doesn't allow you to express that. You must first list one thing then the other and then the other.

The book is written in "dream speach" there is very little punctuation and it contains over 70 different languages. All the words have dual meanings. There is references to just about anything you can think of in this book. There is no plot. It is over 600 pages long and the "story" takes place in less than a minute.

example from the book.

"acomedy of letters" meaning

academy of letters or a comedy of letter

"farced epistol to the highbruws" meaning

first epistle to the hewbrews

or as a "farse" as to the bar room "high brews"

"crossmess parzel"

crossword puzzel or christmas parcel?

The first line of the book reads....

"riverrun, past Even adn Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs."

you get the idea the book is fucked up, I have to read it. It will drive me nuts.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest chicken bone

I have the book. Haven't read it yet though. I think I want to save it until a special time until I can immerse myself in it.

Guest im not witty

all i know is tom robbins bashes finnegans wake every chance he gets. and i love his books, so ima steer clear. especially after reading that first sentence.

Archived