DJ Logic-Medeski, Martin & Wood’s DJ masters several styles on his solo debut.

CIPHER_one

DJ Logic

> The Anomaly

Medeski, Martin & Wood’s DJ masters several styles on his solo debut.

Press play: Drums, sax and Hammond organ run ragged all over DJ Logic’s cuts and scratches on “French Quarter,” and echoes of the funk bomb dropped by Lonnie Smith on Live At Club Mozambique ring out. And, like some hip mutant offspring of DJ Shadow and the JBs, The Anomaly lays eggs of infectious rhythm in your ear. Bronx-born Logic (Jason Kibler) fronts this quartet, injecting friends such as Vernon Reid or John Medeski where needed, through 15 incredibly diverse tracks, like a distillation of a year’s worth of Bill Laswell records.

Where else could you hear strings and vibes fronting house grooves (“Soul-Kissing,” where the influence of French DJ St. Germain is evident), or a steamy dub track led by a skanking didgeridoo rhythm (“Afronautical”). The drum-and-turntable showdown of “Frequency One” pits Logic against skinbeater Deantoni Parks, who, despite doing his best Gene Krupa, is no match for Logic’s jellied wrists. Representing the DJ’s immense debt to jazz, “Beenie Man” and “Miles Away” coat crunchy electronic centers with sticky live jams, and top them with a healthy dollop of fusion. Y’know, sometimes it just makes sense to use a little Logic. (Atlantic/Rope A Dope) Jason Olariu

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i just got a dj logic show (10-11-01 if i recall correctly) its pretty sick. logic doesnt do much but throw in some scratches here and there, i expected a lot more. still real cool though. some good funk getting thrown down. they cover a phish song (cars trucks buses), so of course they're worth your time..

Archived