Consider Shepard Fairey a graffiti writer?

2na

So basically I am trying to figure out if we can label Shepard Fairey a graffiti artist? Has he even picked up a can in his life? Some would say he revolutionized the graffiti movement with his sticker campaign, and others would say he's just feeding into the capitalist way of life by selling graffiti in the Yerba Buena center in SF.

Can we call those who have not gotten up with a can a graff writer/artist? Or is he using the label "graffiti" to exoticize it as "urban" or "raw" to the naive arts patron with lots of dough.

Holla!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Your an ass for even bringing that up. Seing that you have 6 posts let me fill you in. Graffiti is an art form of getting up. Anyone who thinks that the only way to be concidered a graffiti artist is to take a can of Krylon and write your name in 4 foot letters is ignorant. He started THE biggest graffiti/street art campaign known, and he continues to amaze us with his work. And FYI, before Shepard started with Andre, he wrote just like the rest of us. PS paper is paper, if someone wants to buy a T with my logo on it, keep the orders coming.

Yeah, I only have 6 posts under this new name...so what? The fact that you have so many posts under your belt just means that you sit in front of the computer wacking off way to much.

Either way, thanks for your insight and your response. Highly informative.

And...

Don't you think it's a contridiction to sell graff? Or to even have it in galleries? It is street art. Selling it is going against everything it is suppose to stand for, or are we just selling out to pay the bills now?

Originally posted by phatwop@Oct 25 2004, 07:56 PM

shepard is a champ!

Well I have 50 posts, I get on in the evenings, but back to the topic: I dont know about you but having your art in galleries and on peoples chests, I'd call that getting up, not selling out. Think about how many people you interact with throughout the day...

Self-premotion is totally acceptable. What I am saying is this...don't you find it to be a contridiction to sell something that was made for the public and belongs to the streets...turning into privitization and exoticizing it as urban and raw to some yuppies.

Doesn't all that capitalist bullshit take away from graffiti art? And from the other posts, I am finding that it's ok to market graff as long as you have paid dues. Agree with that as well sir?

the whole notion of creating something that 'belongs to the street' might be where you're getting it twisted...

people have their own individual reasons for doing what they wanna do...having met the dood a couple times when i lived in philly, he isn't on some "yo dis is for da street son" type shit...he's an artist, putting up his art in spots where you can see it..that's about it...i see his work more as a clever experiment in branding and viral marketing than traditional graffiti though..

the guy is making a living doing somethin he likes...and he doesn't just sell "giant" shit either...blkmrkt is actually a fairly well respected graphic design firm...

as far as selling graf...if you've paid your dues and there's a DEMAND for your work, it's up to you to decide if you wanna sell it or not...

if you're a new jack starting out, painting canvases with the intention of making a living off the shit, you're probably gonna eventually realize that it ain't gonna work...but the only way your work will actually be in demand is if you put the work in on the streets, on the rails, or whatever else you chose to do...

Archived