I'm Not Guilty so Break Yoself!

skae squiggy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Mac Interview

EL MACON NG interview from FREIGHTFETISH.COM

FF: Alright Mr. Mac, first things first. What do you write, which crews do you push?

MAC: I write the Mac and my main crew is NG. I also push DSC, CIA and TOP, also. But NG is the main crew.

FF: Okay. CIA and TOP, the New York City crews?

MAC: Yeah. DONDI's crews.

FF: Right on. Was he a big influence in your starting to write?

MAC: Very big influence, or inspiration at least. Especially the flicks of him in subway art, we all know the ones.

FF: How did that come about?

MAC: The magic of the internet, actually. Hooked up with DURO CIA who asked me to be down. Normally, I would've felt weird about writing for a crew like that where I wasn't really "down" with all the members. But hey, DONDI was a hero, so I couldn't pass it up.

FF: How exactly did you start to write, and when?

MAC: Well, I did my first character in '95, it was through friends, specifically VENK and STOEK DSC.

FF: Just seeing other friends write, wanting to try it yourself?

MAC: Well, STOEK was a little bit older and had started around maybe '92-93 and I respected his talent, and he invited me to paint. From then on I was hooked.

FF: What kind of artistic backround did you have before you picked up a can?

MAC: I was hardcore into comic books, always drawing comics. I still do actually. Along with a little bit of acrylic painting here and there.

FF: So you were into characters from a young age?

MAC: Oh yeah. For sure, I was always into drawing people and faces and whatnot. Graff was a cool medium that made it exciting to be an artist, to use my art for adventure, you know?

FF: Definetely. Did you ever do letters or anything more typically 'associated with graffiti?'

MAC: Yeah, certainly. Tags of course. I made a few attempts at pieces here and there, I still do an occasional piece, but its not my strongsuit. But I love handstyles.

FF: But since you first started drawing comics, characters were the obvious favorite?

MAC: Oh yeah, characters were the first love. I just enjoyed painting faces, and people and things.

FF: But your characters aren't at all like most of the overused stereotypical graffiti chartacters. How did you start doing the realistic portraits?

MAC: Well thanks. I like to think I'm adding to the scene, doing something at least a little bit different. I don't know how or when exactly I started with the realistics, but I definetely have to give credit to HEX TGO from LA for inspiration. I guess I just like painting stuff that looks real, or at least fairly realistic. I don't get down with the full color the way some people do.

FF: Especially faces? I've always wondered who exactly all these people are. Friends? People you see? Many self portraits?

MAC: Yeah, the faces. Haha. Those are a mix of people. Most of them are of my friends, with a bunch of me too; not because I'm egotistical, but I'm the cheapest easiest model, you know?

FF: Definetely. And you don't have to rely on that person sitting there for you for extended periods of time!

MAC: Haha. Well, of course not. That's not exactly practical.

FF: Back to the color thing. I really enjoy seeing the black and white portraits. Some of them even look like sticking a face onto a copier. Anything to that?

MAC: Yeah, well. Not to take any mystery away from that, but that's what I've used a lot for reference, xerox copies. And if I start seeing other people doing the same thing I keeel you mon!

FF: I'll get the word out!

MAC: Pity the foo!

FF: What do other writers think of your work? Do they all respect the amount of emotion and feeling that they convey, compared to say block letters or a wildstyle piece on a wall?

MAC: Shit, I don't know. Depends on the writer I suppose. Some dig it and are totally cool, others just don't get it. But in general, people seem to dig it, though its an interesting point.

FF: Now I'm a freight guy, and I see a lot of your work and your friends rolling through my area. What got you into the freight scene?

MAC: Ahhh, freights! Yeah, I love freights, what can i say? They're just great. I think for me personally it was just a better alternative to walls. It was a chance to just go and get down and not worry about what other people thought. And of course, there's the fact that freights go everywhere, all over the US, Canada, Mexico.

FF: Well put! How was your first experience going to the yard and doing what would usually be done on a wall or a canvas?

MAC: Hmm. It was frustrating for the first train, a little bit better by the second, and on the third I was feeling pretty damn good. It's a funny thing to be trying to concentrate and be creative, while also keeping your senses open and being ready to run.

FF: I have to ask, any juicy yard stories? Chases?

MAC: Hmm. Well, there are certainly stories that include some close calls with ghetto birds, cops, running, getting shot at, but I'll save those for another time. Haha. Sorry to disappoint. I will mention one time though, that isnt exciting or anything, but it was just a great night. It was a few years ago, when I was visiting Pittsburgh and I painted a couple nice end to ends with some friends, and the weather was perfect. The river was right behind us, and the city behind us, looking all romantic. The paint was coming out just right, felt like I was in a movie. That was just one of those magic moments, you know? Maybe not super exciting or unique, but for me it was food for the soul.

FF: Always better than a chase story, thats for sure. Now you love freights and walls, I've seen a few canvases of yours too. Any gallery shows yet?

MAC: Yeah, a few, but nothing big time. Nothing serious, and basically nothing I've gotten much money for.

FF: What do you think about writers "selling out," those arent my words, but a feeling felt by a lot of people. I should've said, what is your opinion on gallery shows?

MAC: Well, it's kinda like...you either paint graffiti or you don't, you know? And on the other hand, you should try to stick to your guns and not sell your soul, but sometimes you just gotta get by, or have a family to support. I think as longa s you're actually going out and painting and taking risks and getting down, then it's hard to sell out. I think gallery shows can be great, sometimes pretentious, but sometimes really great.

FF: Kind of along the lines of what is graffiti and what isn't?

MAC: Right.

FF: Well, Mr. Mac, I think I'm out of questions. Any other comments you'd like to make?

MAC: Best I can think of off hand is just thanks for the interest and appreciation, and I'm happy to be painting. Hopefully I can maybe help inspire some other people to get busy too, help beautify our trains and walls, and maybe create a little mystery out there. Make some kid at a railroad crossing trip out and wonder what the hell he just saw passing by. Haha.

FF: I know I did when I saw a smushed face staring back at me!

MAC: Haha. Great.

FF: Any shoutouts or anyone or anything you'd like to say something to?

MAC: Just as I planned.

FF: Haha. You know the drill!

MAC: Just much respect to my crews, my other friends, the southwest, my parents. And much love to Siloette, and I'd like to thank the academy. Haha. Just doing my part to keep the west wild. Paz!

FF: Haha. Very nice, very nice. Thanks for taking the time to let me ask you some questions, and I hope to keep seeing your stuff rolling by on our beautiful freight system!

MAC: No problem, man. Like I said, thanks for taking an interest. America the beautiful, I love trains.

Archived