Remote controlled engines??

Guest Dr. Doom

Guest Dr. Doom

Yo cracked............I just heard from a switchman in BNSF territory that they are going to be laying off engineers and going to remote controlled engines?!?!? Using a massive remote control that hangs around your neck!?!?!? What's the story with this?? How's this work??

Oh and by the way..........he said "I'm sure glad that I've only got another 8 fucking months until retirement because that shit's going to be dangerous!"

Hmmmmm??

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

pick up any copy of trains from the last 3 years and you'll find some mention of it. CN and CP have been using beltpack systems for years. Its not replacing engineers, its reducing crews. Its for switching mostly...now the guy who gets out the cab to switch the track and pull the lever on the cars getting switched, will also control the engine from his beltpack. If anything it will cut down on yard accidents caused by miscomunication between crew members. CN has reported drastic reductions in yard accidents since they implimented them. There may be some layoff issues (most forecasts of doom are exagerated), but for the most part its nothing worth worrying about.

Guest railroadjerk

check out the new issue of trains, theres a picture of a up one that they are doing test routes with...its all gps done.

Archived