Mutual Appreciation- it's a movie suckers

chorus

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yes you should see it.

Basic plot, young shy musician moves to N Y to follow his musical ambitions. In the process of following these ambitions he grows and changes and so does the relationship between, him his best friend and his best friends girlfriend.

The movie is not anywhere near as lame as the basic plot makes it sound like it is. It's full of funny scenes, is well shot and has alot of interesting theme's about performance, sexuality, sucess and failure.

Here's a fuckload of review quotes and some photos.

Mut%20App%20bed%202.GIF

Mut%20App%20Alan%20&%20Patricia.GIF

Mut%20App%20bed.gif

"Mutual Appreciation is more than a new twist on the romantic comedy, more than a pitch-perfect period piece about the period we're all living in...At the heart of Mutual Appreciation is an urgent need to get onscreen the warp and woof of an unraveled social fabric--and help stitch it up with honesty and love...And with the exception of Pootie Tang (2001), it may also be the best film ever shot (partly) in that purgatory of hip called Williamsburg, Brooklyn."

--Nathan Lee, Slate

"Even though he's only made two movies, Andrew Bujalski is, as I write this, one of my favorite American filmmakers...The people who populate Bujalski's films are, in their own stuttering, kind, humorous and casual way, constantly attempting to better understand themselves...You can become so wholly immersed in the atmosphere and characters that you're left with no choice but to be disappointed when the end credits pop up. I can't shower this praise on many (any?) filmmakers currently working...It's time more people take notice."

--Warren Curry, Entertainment Insiders

"Any cursory description of the films of writer-director-actor Andrew Bujalski risks making them sound like a thousand others that have attempted, motivated either by genuine curiosity or crass marketing instincts, to depict the trials and tribulations of young people in their 20s as they try to establish a foothold in a strange and often forbidding grown-up world. But with the exception of Before Sunset, Noah Baumbach’s Kicking and Screaming and a select few others, I’d happily trade most of the lot for Bujalski’s Funny Ha Ha and Mutual Appreciation."

--Scott Foundas, Cinema Scope

"Andrew Bujalski is the Renoir of Gen Z (or whatever the heck letter we have devolved down to in this new and otherwise fairly unfunny century). Funny Ha Ha and Mutual Appreciation give us new eyes and ears. They let us hear emotional dog frequencies--and watch the butterfly flutters of feeling that bring us together and pull us apart. Bujalski makes us laugh at our foibles--and shed a tear of self-recognition at our fumblings of love."

--Ray Carney, author of Cassavetes on Cassavetes

"The best narrative feature in the [independent Film Festival of Boston] is Andrew Bujalski’s Mutual Appreciation. Here Bujalski fulfills the promise shown in his 2003 debut feature, Funny Ha Ha. He has moved from the womb of Boston to the testing grounds of New York City and has shifted format to black and white, undaunted by the inevitable comparisons that will be made with every other indie filmmaker who’s done the same, or by the irrelevant comparisons that will be made between his hero and that of every other indie film. Alan (Justin Rice) is a twentysomething musician who like Bujalski has minimalist ambitions. He wants a band, but really just a drummer, and one who doesn’t do much drumming. (The music is pretty toe-tappable and intense nonetheless, as an angst-filled club date shows.)...Bujalski’s limpid style and the seeming improvisations have the spontaneity and wit of real life ...but when studied reveal the calculation and symmetry of art."

--Peter Keough, Boston Phoenix

"A smart, incisive character study shot in glorious black-and-white 16 mm that has the feel of improvisation, yet captures the emotional solipsism of the indie-pop era as acutely as Shadows did beatnik-jazz anxiety. The imperceptible plot...matters less than Bujalski's sharp-eared sensitivity to conversational nuance: to awkward pauses that mask sexual curiosity, to the self-conscious banter of left-of-the-dial radio interviews, to small talk between longtime friends choking back secrets. And Justin Rice, who plays the popster, fuses smarm, sincerity and self-interest so precisely you'll want to kick him off your couch."

--Jim Ridley, Nashville Scene

“Director Andrew Bujalski and his amazing cast create such a unique and addicting experience that these 109 minutes go by in no time at all and the only thing you want when it’s all over is more...The cast of Mutual Appreciation brings such authenticity to the, dare I say, 'quirky' relationships between these characters that you’ll no doubt recall frighteningly similar conversations between yourself and your friends. Authentic and hilarious. This film sparks with a natural comic rhythm. With films like these, you normally want to step into the screen and live with the characters, but you’ll be reminded so much of your own friends that when the movie is over, you’ll go find them and give them a great big hug."

--Eric Campos, Film Threat

"There's a timeless quality to Bujalski's talky-talky setpieces and black-and-white real-film cinematography. It actually reminds me a lot of A Hard Day's Night--yes, the Beatles movie--in the way it implants too-good-to-fake spontaneity into its fiction. To mix my British Invasion references, star Justin Rice has a bit of a young Mick Jagger in him...by way of, like, Rick Moranis...I like it more and more as I sit here thinking about it."

--Karina Longworth, Cinematical

"A droll, stonefaced, dead-on perceptive comedy of manners...Nobody gets the zeitgeist as right as Bujalski and his delicious cast."

--Gerald Peary, Boston Phoenix

"One of Bujalski's gifts is his ability to give every part, no matter how big or small, a sense of intelligence and life that extends beyond the frame and running time, and in this his work recalls the best of both Mike Leigh and Richard Linklater."

--Jim Healy, Chicago Reader