415/707 NORTH BAY CALI

Guilty Simpson

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaah big ups to all dem 707 writers...YEEEEEE!!!

crestside!!! lmao...i did my very 1st piece out there on da wall across da street from

da valero and dat comfort inn hotel!!!

love anybody dat rep out there...

now im out here doin it big in da east

front page of the Marin IJ this morning:

San Rafael man proposes task force to take on graffiti

Jennifer Upshaw

Posted: 09/03/2009 05:50:29 PM PDT

San Rafael resident Michael Birkhead dons a vest and mask as he spray paints over graffiti in the Linden Lane undercrossing off Lincoln Avenue. Birkhead and his volunteer citizen group, the San Rafael Community Task Force, want a coordinated effort with the city to eradicate graffiti within 18 months. (IJ photo/Robert Tong)It was the four-letter words "at about kid height" that motivated him.

On Thursday, San Rafael resident Michael Birkhead, 42, pulled on his safety vest, eye protection and face mask and, armed with a spray-paint can, took care of the profanities in the Linden Lane undercrossing off Lincoln Avenue.

"I see it every day when I walk the kids to school, and I knew it wasn't getting any better," he said of the graffiti.

It's not the first time for the San Rafael man, who is on a crusade to stop graffiti in the city.

This summer he has, among other things, spoken to the City Council, submitted a formal written proposal to establish a task force, helped coordinate recent abatement around town and, when all else fails, whipped out his gear and taken care of the problem personally.

"We just need a centralized team that has members from each of these organizations - the California Department of Transportation, the Transportation Authority of Marin, the San Rafael Police Department, the Department of Public Works - so there can be a coordinated effort around graffiti and litter in the community," he said.

Under Birkhead's plan, his group, called the San Rafael Community Task Force, envisions graffiti completely gone within 18 months.

The group aims to develop a "four-pronged approach" by forming subcommittees of the task force dedicated to prevention, abatement, enforcement and education to get rid of graffiti in town.

The Highway 101 widening project has brought

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a fresh "canvas" to the city, tempting urban artists and gang members with new sound walls, undercrossings and tunnels along the Lincoln Avenue corridor.

"It's like litter - we wish we didn't have to devote so much time and resources to it. It really is a constant irritant," said Caltrans spokesman Bob Haus, who said the contractor is taking care of the clean-up while the Highway 101 project is under construction. Once it is finished, the state will take care of its property with help from the California Highway Patrol.

The complaints about the Highway 101 sound walls are not many, but the few who do call are committed, Haus said.

"I haven't heard from a lot of people, but the people I have heard from are very, very persistent and very passionate on the subject," he said. "We're working with them. We're going to see what we can do."

Also of concern as of late is the retirement of the city's graffiti abatement worker, whose job within the parks division of the Department of Public Works was singularly devoted to graffiti clean-up efforts in town. The position, which became vacant this week, will not be filled due to the city's $3.2 million budget deficit.

City officials said clean-up on public property will now be divided

Michael Birkhead, a San Rafael Community Task Force member, paints over graffiti along Linden Lane undercrossing off Lincoln Avenue in San Rafael. Birkhead is working on a campaign to stop graffiti in the city by setting up a community organization and pressuring the city to clean up its act. (IJ photo/Robert Tong)among parks employees. Graffiti on other public spaces, such as utilities and Caltrans property, is reported to the property owner. Private property owners are responsible for abatement as per city ordinance.

City Manager Ken Nordhoff said he has not yet had a chance to study Birkhead's detailed proposal in depth, but he said the city's volunteer coordinator and the Police Department have had meetings on the matter. In general, using volunteers is always a welcome suggestion, he said.

"I think all communities of a similar size and demographic struggle with appearance issues, including graffiti, and I don't think San Rafael is any different," he said. "We know that graffiti abatement is an important issue in the community.

"I'm certainly open and willing and want to encourage ways to utilize volunteers for services such as graffiti abatement."

Steve Patterson, head of the Federation of San Rafael Neighborhoods, said he is keeping an eye on the situation, and stressed that the city, not volunteers, is the answer.

"I think the biggest thing is to have a plan," he said. "I think this will force the city to get (city workers) out of their silos and cross-train them.

"Eighteen years ago graffiti was like a virus - it was everywhere. At the time the city created this graffiti abatement position," he said. "I'm starting to watch to see what the level of graffiti there is in the city and whether we see a serious problem, because graffiti begets graffiti."

20090903__04graffiti_300.jpg

20090904__04graffit2_200.jpg

l_c6cc0ce9dd0728ffead060d002855280.jpg.953165b236d9b74e523892434534a973.jpg

100_2408.jpg.111226c910b78f2d0df40a64da56149e.jpg

Jason.jpg.0b34837c9e5971f3ee4552d44532a21c.jpg