By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

  1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

    If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

    Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

what are the different types of cars i wonder sometimes

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by angry xbox, Oct 6, 2002.

  1. angry xbox

    angry xbox Guest

    i guess peeps call them different things but what is a hopper??? and are those halfcut things called coal cars??? and i KNOW what a boxcar is and a holy roller
  2. fr8burner

    fr8burner Elite Member

    Joined: Jun 4, 2001 Messages: 2,576 Likes Received: 2
    hoppers are those half round cars with the ledge thing on the bottom..ive also noticed that the normal grain cars with the ridges on them are called hoppers...and i think your refering to a gondola when you say coal car...same thing though...go look at some railfan sites and youll figure it all out....

    edit: there are also some coal cars that look like the box hoppers but are open at the top...here is a good link http://www.northeast.railfan.net/rolling.html
  3. krowteN

    krowteN Guest

    a hopper is any kind of car that is unloaded from the bottom:
    coal car, sand car, basalt card-those gray flat cars are covered hoppers.

    the half cuts are gondolas because they have a flat bottom