for KAbar(gooniesticks)

Eddie Burner

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Territorality related to Scarcity

Eddie B---In my opinion, most tramps aren't all that territorial, but like many people who lack many resources, they are rather jealous about other people moving into "their" circle of places to obtain the wherewithal to sustain oneself. For instance, there may be a small crew of people that have worked out the schedule of when the local fried chicken place throws out chicken that has been under the heat lamp too long. Technically, it may be somewhat questionable as to it's edibility, but tramps are a lot less choosy than paying customers.

If you suddenly stumble upon this KFC's dumpster, and think "All right! Check it out! Free CHICKEN!" you may be stepping all over this crew's toes. They have absolutely no legal right to tell you "stay away from our KFC." And if you went to the manager and complained, he'd probably lock the dumpster and then nobody would get any chicken. But a KFC that puts out-of-date chicken into plastic bags before it's dumped may not be too common. So it's a resource that logically ought to be shared. Did you read my post on the Frisco Circle? Nobody does that much anymore, but the scenario I described above would be a perfect set-up for a frisco. "Share Out, and share alike."

I've heard some pretty disturbing stories about the FTRA, or at least about people who were allegedly identified as FTRA members. The few people I actually met who were FTRA were pretty cool. Organizations similar to motorcycle clubs (like the FTRA) generally see a uncompromising aggressive attitude ("THESE COLORS DON'T RUN" or maybe "NO MERCY") as excellent defense. The idea that if you get into a fight with a Hells Angel that you might get on their shit list and have them hunting for you all over the country intimidates a lot of people from giving the H.A.'s any static. The same is true of the FTRA. You might swear out a complaint against an FTRA member, but to do so you must go on record. PUBLIC record. And now they know your name... You have to go to work every day, go grocery shopping, and so on. They have nothing else to do but settle up old scores... If you are in with a crew like FTRA, you are their pal. But if you are on the outside, well, you aren't. I've heard their weapon of choice is the goonie stick--a cut-down shovel handle or axe handle, but I don't know how genuine this is. I've seen many tramps carrying a stick for dogs etc., including the FTRA.

In general, I try to avoid conflict. But I'm not a pacifist any more. I treat everyone with a modicum of decency and respect. And I expect the same response from the people I meet. Try not to take anything from anybody on the road. To accept a gift is to accept responsibility for an obligation to the giver. Somebody shares their tobacco pouch with you, they may expect you to spring for lunch.

The key phrase is "on the tracks." I've seen some pretty bad shit happen, but not necessarily on the tracks themselves. I've seen a number of fist fights where the loser got stomped. If you think you are going to lose a fight, try to stay off the ground. I saw a streamliner who tried to snag somebody's bindle get a pretty good beatdown, but there were too many people in on the ass kicking and they got in each other's way. I saw a brawl between two groups that each insisted a girl was going with their particular group. People got cut on both sides, and the girl was terrified. But she left with the winners.

Try not to concentrate on the violent part of living on the road. Tramps and trainhoppers and bums don't get any exemption from the laws of the State. Just because they live on the fringes of society doesn't mean that they aren't bound by the EXACT SAME laws that govern bankers and millionaires. One doesn't get any free ride on "carrying a prohibited weapon" just because one lives in a dangerous, threatening world where one might actually need that weapon. We all must obey (and I stress the word OBEY) the same laws of the State. People violate the law all the time. But in so doing, they place themselves at terrible risk. Riding freights is illegal. But a misdemeanor trespassing bust is not in the same category as stabbing somebody in a free-for-all over a runaway girl. Use your brain--that's what it's there for.

Archived