books about/on trains???

Guest railfaner

Guest railfaner

i have been heavily interested in trains for quite some time now and i want to further my knowledge of them even more... i was just wondering if anyone knows of any good books about or on trains that would be good to read...(and available in canada..)

thanks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Railfaner---There is an entire industry that revolves around trainwatching, train photography, model trains (there are about six or seven different "gauges" or sizes, like HO, GG, EE, etc. I don't know much about model train enthusiasts) and even railroad recordings , where the railfans go out and tape-record the sounds of the trains. This sounds kind of crazy, but what do you suppose one of the old steam locomotives sounded like in 1870? We'll never know.

There are train shops in every big city, and in lots of small towns. In fact, Dunsmuir, CA, one of the most famous trainhopping/ hobo sites of all time, actually has a TRAIN WATCHERS TOURIST INDUSTRY. It has a "season" and everything. Every spring, all the train guys come to photograph and record trains in Dunsmuir. The tramps and trainhoppers go there too. North Bank Fred has a photograph on his site of an abandoned FTRA jungle site just outside Dunsmuir.

I suggest you locate a train shop, and ask the owner to suggest some good books. Every train shop I've ever been in had a large book shelf or library. Or just go down to your local library and look up "Railroading." That ought to keep you busy for about ten years or so.

Originally posted by KaBar

Railfaner---There is an entire industry that revolves around trainwatching, train photography, model trains (there are about six or seven different "gauges" or sizes, like HO, GG, EE, etc. I don't know much about model train enthusiasts) and even railroad recordings , where the railfans go out and tape-record the sounds of the trains. This sounds kind of crazy, but what do you suppose one of the old steam locomotives sounded like in 1870? We'll never know.

There are train shops in every big city, and in lots of small towns. In fact, Dunsmuir, CA, one of the most famous trainhopping/ hobo sites of all time, actually has a TRAIN WATCHERS TOURIST INDUSTRY. It has a "season" and everything. Every spring, all the train guys come to photograph and record trains in Dunsmuir. The tramps and trainhoppers go there too. North Bank Fred has a photograph on his site of an abandoned FTRA jungle site just outside Dunsmuir.

I suggest you locate a train shop, and ask the owner to suggest some good books. Every train shop I've ever been in had a large book shelf or library. Or just go down to your local library and look up "Railroading." That ought to keep you busy for about ten years or so.

hahahaha....railfans are always funny when you just stumble across them...there was a guy i was talking to this morning at the yard , out of nowhere he starts bitching about how much better things were just before the big converge...he also showed me a sneaky and full proof place to park...but yeah, all that stuff mentioned will keep you plenty busy.

Archived