N E W Y O R K C I T Y

SaYoH

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

4732.jpg

4733.jpg

Here's Manny, the Super in the newspaper article, telling me how it went down... and how bad he wanted to wring Neckface's neck.

from: http://www.nydailynews.com/09-07-2005/boroughs/story/343876p-293613c.html

Art genius or pain in the 'Neck Face'?

By MELISSA GRACE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Graffiti by Neck Face irks Manny Suarez, Williamsburg building super of 65 Hope St.

The graffiti writer known as Neck Face is a success in the art world - but he's still the bane of one Williamsburg superintendent's existence.

Last Tuesday marked the fourth time since January the high-profile tagger spray-painted his street name across the sixth-floor facade of 65 Hope St.

Scrawled three times in a row in big, black letters, "NECK FACE" was visible from the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway.

"I'm really p----- off - it's all the time," said building super Manny Suarez, who spent two hours dangerously perched off the roof to paint over the markings. "I really don't care who he is - he has no right to vandalize this building."

Graffiti, which is illegal, creates notoriety for vandals that can translate into commercial success in the art world.

"Neck Face tagged our building. He's everywhere," said an impressed artist who lives in the building.

Other area residents were disgusted.

"I hate that crap," said artist Peter Caine, whose artwork is on display at PS 1. "It's just dirtying up our environment."

Cops have more than doubled the number of graffiti arrests so far this year - 1,741 in 2005 compared with 913 arrests at this time last year, officials said. Police attributed the jump to an initiative that boosted the number of cops assigned to the anti-graffiti squad.

To his frustration, Suarez unwittingly watched his nemesis get away - again.

"If I'd known it was him he wouldn't have been Neck Face - he would have been in the hospital with a red face!" Suarez growled.

Thinking that a furtive figure he saw was a tenant's guest, Suarez watched the man scurry down the building's outside staircase at 1:30 a.m.

Besides spray-painting the building, Neck Face also left his mark on a giant billboard on the roof and under an advertisement for a television show, "Wanted."

While there is no proof Neck Face is the culprit who struck on Hope St., Los Angeles gallery owner Marsea Goldberg, who has displayed his art, had no doubt it was him.

"It's him," said Goldberg who would not reveal the artist's real name. "He's an enfant terrible."

The 20-year-old graffiti writer has struck repeatedly from Tokyo to San Francisco to Manhattan's lower East Side and Brooklyn.

Considered the most recent graffiti writer to cross into the mainstream, Neck Face paints colorful, heavy-metal gothic monsters and has a strong following.

Goldberg offered up some advice to the aggrieved Suarez.

"He should hold on to [the graffiti]; it's valuable," said Goldberg, who sold a mural by Neck Face to a collector for $5,000.

Originally published on September 7, 2005

This article has been viewed 72846 times in the last 5 years

2854988267_40501eff73_o.jpg The only problem I could see this guy having, atleast from a graffiti standpoint is he probably runs out of ideas and gets bored with how stupidly easy it is for him to come up with Sick, Ill, Retarded pieces. I've really been digging his half letter pieces lately. He gets so sick with so little paint...
  • Like 1