SKORE TRC

SKUMBALUCKAH

I like it... anyone got the flick of the train-line production? You know the one I mean?

Or the murder-zone one, with the "police line do not cross" tape across the pieces?

I also vaugely remember a Skore interview, maybe from one of the old DJs? If anyone can find a copy to post up, that would be cool...

I'm too lazy :D

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skore article - N-igma 8 - Wholecars.com

People will respect you for what you're doing, only if you return that respect"

1999, my sixteenth year writing. Yes 16 years, that means I've been writing before many of todays writers were even born. Now for some that meybe hard to comprehend, as it was for me looking at New York in 1970, the year I was born, but facts are facts and it will be interesting if many of todays writers will have equally long careers.

Before I talk about my year, I'll give you a quick history. I started writing in 1984. Usual influences and early pieces were done with assorted mediums until Subway Art came out and taught us the method. By 1985 I was heavily bombing and making my first journey's into South London. In 1986 I painted my first train pieces and was warming up the insides too.

In 1987 I was up and running, top to bottom wholecars, window-downs, panels, insides and outsides. For the people that remember (and they get fewer every year) like Petro, they'll tell you that in the eighties me and my bombing partner Dome were kings of BR's throughout the South East. Tags on every train, and that's an area many times the size of London. We would ride trains every night with weekend yard visits.

In 88 I was based at Elephant & Castle, and tubes already visited in 87 came more into play. Insides on every Bakerloo, hanging out on the Big Met, Kast, Mise, Steam, Harrow on the Hill ... London was living. In 89 things stepped up in two ways, a chance meeting with Mist 1 from Sheffield, meant tube yard tourism and busts. Crown Court conspiracy, toothbrush in hand. A subsequent meeting with Sigher (a live train addict) meant the start of TRC, but another bust and Crown Court conspiracy after walking into a Police filled yard for wholecar actions. The decade ended and so did my career as I knew it.

The 90's was a rethink for me as the most of the eighties writers I had known had now disappeared and the 'Summer of Love' had changed things for ever. While most were screaming 'Aceeeeed!!!!!!!', I became one of the main faces on the wall scene in London. Along with Snatch, Rough, Mean, Shu2, Stet, Shun, Busk and a handful of others, I carried on as I still do today keeping halls of fame in heavy rotation.

1999 was much the same as any year as far as I was concerned, a routine had developed. After years on the circuit it's more about maintaining the habit and developing your style. You don't start the year with any great plan or mission, just a string of past mission's and chapters that tell a story. Don't get me wrong, it's not about going through the motions, it's about still pushing the boundaries and constantly looking for new and original ways of taking it.

Every year takes it's course and it isn't until the end of the year that you can look back and sum it up. January is always a great time for reflection as a writer, another chapter closes and a clean page is sitting in front of you.

99 followed 98, a year of travel and learning, with trips representing England to paid events in France, Holland and Germany meeting the cream of Europe and watching their different approaches. From experience I can say you'll learn more in a week painting abroad that three years in this uninspiring scene.

99 on reflection was taking this approach and applying it in London, and straight away I have to give credit to those I have connected with, most notably Dek, who have listened to my ramblings and in turn helped create some real classic walls. Others include Tener (as always), Crok (rarely as always), Shine, Jyer, Rhise, Merc & Astek.

I have to say in 99 I've had the most active year of the last five, and thats really nothing to do with heart or dedication .. it's simply finding writers with as much heart as myself. Not to suck my own dick, but over the years it's been hard to find other writers with as much energy to take it to the next level, but this last year has been inspiring more not for what we have achieved but what we can achieve if things continue. 99 has seen some memorable walls, my personal favourite being the Tufnell Park whole wall .. a day where everything came together to pull of a painting, not a string of individual pieces. Ego's left at home for a common goal, someting very rare on these shores, yet everyone went home a better writer.

I think some of the best walls ever seen in this country have been done this year and some the most ambitious painting too. The downside which I don't want to dwell on as I pay it no mind in regards to what I do, is our peers .. the other writers in London. I speak of the Newjacks 'in it for a minute' ignorant to anything pre-98 writers. 'Ignorance is bliss' the saying goes, and for a newjack I guess ignorance is needed to come with 'that attitude' because neat writers need credentials, and a newjack has none. It's easier to disregard something than to aspire to it and in this dispoable age, instead of inspiring creativity and thought, our pieces just inspire ignorance and jealousy.

Why do newjack writers think that a couple of trackwalks, a bit of street bombing and the odd ten minute panel piece are the biggest thing ever. Why do newjack writers tag on people backgrounds without reason like it's the most normal thing in the world to catch a tag over fresh burners and then act surprised when a writer gets pissed off. Why do newjack writers in today's world of magazines, books and videos all run the same weak style. Why do newjack writers thrive on bullshit clichés, bullshit stories and bullshit fronts?

Almost without exception, all the quality writers in this country are in their late 20's, early 30's. This wasn't the case 10 years ago. Todays new writers are happy being crappy. At the end of the day though, I really don't give a fuck. Once upon a time I cared for the scene, wanted us to be something, but hard learnt lessons have worn me down. Now I disregard the bullshiters as they disregard us and strangely I've found it works.

Whilst many have been driven away from the Capital, I'm still will fucking up for it and so are the people I surround myself with. All the talking I've left behind. I couldn't give a toss, it's about actions ... as they speak for themselves and the last year has been another classic.

Skore TRC

PS. If you've been doing that same old shit time and time again, do something different, surprise us! There are too many predictable people who have run out of ideas. Read the 'sell by' date.

Link to the original article - With pictures

^nice article...

its always nice to hear the stories from the kings...

has any one got a link to the drax and elk article which starts off talking about them bombing on a tube?

http://www.graffiti.org/dj/n-igma6/grove-park/large/logo-skore-dek.jpg'>

Another character, to keep the thread going...

There must be more flicks out there. I don't know the N-igma issues inside out like some of you, so if you could find a couple of flicks for me that would be cool...

The one with the police tape "caution do not cross...out" over the pieces

The one with the pieces going along a railway track.

Nice one...

• 4 months later...

Archived