Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

thanks fred..

the thai stuff isn't tons different i don't think.

to me, it's less sweet compared to italian basil and a bit more potent

it also is more like cilantro or mint than italian basil is.

i think i'd try it in italian food, but it is different.

it also has purple in it, really nice looking.

Yum, bruschetta's always a hit. Get down with your bad self.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cherry tomatoes

homegrown thai basil

garlic

olive oil

on crusty bread

IMG_0798.jpg

God I love bruschetta! I like to drizzle the ciabatta with olive oil and then griddle it until it's charred. It helps if you take a really sharp knife and draw it over the bread before you rub the garlic on it. Anyway, yours looks YUM.

Oh, and thanks for the tip NOES

^that looks heady as hell, just needs some onions. i did an internship at this school and a side dish for the bronzino was a marinated tomato salad, kinda like the small colorful ones you got.. marinated in vinegar, OO, etc.. soooo good

butter adds more colors to suateed ingredients-that why people use it i think - in combination with olive oil

yea, in a lot of professional kitchens i've seen cooks get the butter to a brown stage (kinda like a beurre noisette (sp)), like right before its about to burn, and then put down the meat or what ever it is your cooking.. and then it picks up the golden brown color of the butter onto the skin/flesh.

God I love bruschetta! I like to drizzle the ciabatta with olive oil and then griddle it until it's charred. It helps if you take a really sharp knife and draw it over the bread before you rub the garlic on it. Anyway, yours looks YUM.

Are you saying you basically burn the bread then scrape the carbon of it with a knife? I'm pretty sure the idea of bruschetta is to be fresh, not burnt. But hey whatever you enjoy.

Fried chicken photo's please. :)

yeah, I don't remember the details but from what I read I remember thinking they made a mistake and were just fucking with you. If you could be bothered maybe write an angry letter to who evers in charge of the police precinct about your wrongful arrest and the heavy handed treatment of the arresting officers. Goes into their file, messes with their career but might not be worth the effort.

To be honest the politics and organising of the art stuff has been shady latelty. The exhibition itself went better than I'd expected though. Thanks.

grd, 'yo girl! you like........bread?' hah

Are you saying you basically burn the bread then scrape the carbon of it with a knife? I'm pretty sure the idea of bruschetta is to be fresh, not burnt. But hey whatever you enjoy.

Fried chicken photo's please. :)

No I'm not saying I burn the bread and scrape off the the carbon. I'm saying I griddle it until it's a little charred then I make slits in the top of the bread so when you rub the garlic is has grooves to stick to. Bruschetta is meant to be toasted dude.

5424010531_e80a7ce835.jpg

Not my flick but you get the idea...

6082501716_23e6704f45_z.jpg

mango and tomato salad.. cut that shit up salt pepper lemon juice and olive oil.

chicken salt and pepper and sear/cook that shit on the pan and roast in the oven... and then plate it up! once you get over eating such a sugary fruit with chicken, it's good shit.

silly

I'ma make some of these today...

ad71c3bb.jpg

White chocolate and cranberry picau ar y maen aka Welsh cakes. I may make some traditional ones too.

I want these, I fucking love welsh cakes and the white choc and cranberry sounds amazing!

11%2B-%2B9

Plum crumble cake my wife made

International food prices and import export are kind of mind boggling in a way. I worked inside a massive refrigerated warehouse here in Seattle once, half was devoted to apples getting exported by boat, the other half to apples coming in from New Zealand.

mm I figured most of them were getting exported anyway. Actually there was some kind of natural disaster in Queensland that ruined all these bannana plantations. So prices in Sydney went up, turns out all our bannanas were imported anyway. Capatalists br0 :/ haha.

^yes, that looks great, and a lot like a coffee cake i make that has apples or peaches instead of plums

Ingredients:

Streusel Topping and Filling

1/3 c. Light brown sugar packed firmly

2 T. granulated sugar

1 c. Walnuts or pecans

1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 c. unsifted cake flour (I used regular flour because I am unable to find cake flour in Colorado)

4 T. softened unsalted butter

1/2 tsp. Vanilla

Batter

4 large egg yolks

2/3 c. Sour cream

1 1/2 tsp vannilla

2 c. sifted cake flour

1 c. Sugar

1/2 tsp. Baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

12 T unsalted butter

Directions:

Streusel Topping:

In food processor with metal blade pulse the sugars, nuts, and cinnamon until nuts are coarsely chopped. Reserve 3/4 cup for the filling. To the remaining add flour butter and vanilla, pulse briefly to make a course crumbly mixture for the topping.

Batter:

In medium bowl lightly combine the yolks, about 1/4 cup of the sour cream and the vanilla.

In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients and mix on low speed for30 seconds to blend. Add butter and remaining sour cream. Mix on low speed until the dry ingr. are moistened. Increase to high speed to aerate the batter and develop cakes structure. Scrape down sides. Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches beating for 20 secs. after each addition. Scrape down the sides.

Reserve about 1/3 of the batter and scrape the remaining into a 9" springform pan greased and the bottom lined with parchment or waxed paper, then greased and floured again.

Smooth the surface and sprinkle with streusel filling and if desired top with apple or peach slices. Drop the reserved batter in blobs over the fruit and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the streusel topping and bake 55-65 minutes or until a wire tester comes out clean.

Let cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. You can store it in an airtight container 2 days room temp., 5 days refrigerated, or 2 months frozen.

ugh.. i have a lot of leftover birthday cake so i was about to make the coffee cake but then thought: this will never get eaten. so i just posted the recipe.

i'll make one in a few weeks.

some shots courtesy of the web:

IMG_2509_2.jpg

sour_cream_coffee_cake_1.jpg

i have to say, i missed the brief convo about food export and import

i detest it. sure, it's convenient but it wastes so much energy

and people have utterly lost touch with what it means to grow food, or even what it means for food to be 'seasonal'

i could totally go off crossfire style about the state of agriculture :(

but most of you probably already know...

Archived