Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hi!I

i love to cook..i trained as a sous and saute chef, and spent a couple years as a pastry chef..food is one of the great parts of life..i figured i'd share some of my recipes..

eat healthy!!

some awesome products have surfaced recently, most notably barilla dried tortelloni..inexpensive, tasty, and it makes a bunch!

they also make a no boil lasagna that is the shit!

to make a nice size lasagna, just get yourself a package of the no boil lasgana

16 oz ricotta cheese

(mix with about 1 cuop parmasan, and some parsley and a beaten egg)

grated mozzarella

veggies (if desired) for the layers..like red peppers, onions or mushrooms

some delicious pasta sauce (classico and barilla are good)

start with the pasta, follow it with some ricotta and mozarella

top with the sauce and veggies, repeat with the layering

top with any leftover cheese

bake for about 45 minutes @ 375 degrees, let it sit for about 15

it's better as leftovers..so make a big pan

**if you want meat, just brown some ground beef with salt and pepper in a pan, mix with the sauce, prepare as above**

to make a homemade sauce for the lasagna

16 oz can crushed tomatoes

can of tomato paste

2 cloves garlic

half a small onion

salt pepper (to taste..don't overdo it..you can always add more)

oregano (about a half tsp of each)

basil

parsley

dash sugar

heat garlic and onion in a bit of oil until soft and brown..add spices to taste, add crushed tomatoes and the paste..mix well on low heat for a few minutes..taste and alter if needed, add a dash of suger to cut any acidity..cool a bit before using in lasagna if boiling hot

..so if anyone cares, i'll post a new recipe everyday

tomorrow: veggie sloppy joes, anyone?

too

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Been on a salad kick these days, likely because I'm growing a lot of greens.

Keeping it simple... Quality virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar glaze (glaze is key here as its slightly sweeter and much richer), sea salt, cracked pepper. Add in several varieties of kale, arugula and young lettuce. Topped with shredded parmesan cheese.

Can also add fresh pear or apple if you really want to go all out.

• 3 weeks later...

Char Siu aka Chinese BBQ Pork aka A good version of that reddish looking shit on sticks the chinese buffet has

Five spice if you want to grind it yourself:

• 1 tbsp ground cinnamon or small piece cinnamon stick
  • 1 tbsp anise seed or 1 star anise
  • 1 tsp fennel seed
  • ~1 tsp Szechuan peppercorns (or regular)
  • 1/2 tsp cloves

Grind in mortar & pestle until powdered, use within a week or two. 

The Pork

• 2 pork tenderloins
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup honey (replaced with somewhat less squeezed orange first time I made it, also good)
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup chinese rice wine (white wine works)
  • 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 2 tbsp red food coloring (umm...  no?  depends on how much you like red.  make it green if you want.)
  • 2/3 tbsp five spice (freshly ground if you can, recipe above)
  • 1 tsp finely chopped ginger root
  1. If grilling, cut into 1.5-2" strips along grain.    If cooking in oven,  leave tenderloins whole or slice as with grill, remove excess fat.
  2. Mix all spices and sauces in a small pan, and bring to a very gentle simmer, then remove from heat and cool until no longer hot to touch.
  3. Place pork in resealable bag or tupperware, pour sauce over it.  Toss and marinate 2 hours to overnight.
  4. Preheat grill to medium-high & oil, or preheat oven to 350F
  5. Remove pork from marinade and set some aside for basting
  6. Skip basting for a less rich taste. (See below)
  7. For grill:  Cook for 20 minutes.  Baste often or if dry.  Place small pan of water on the grill, cook and turn regularly, about 1 hour.  Center temp should be at least 145F (medium rare). 
  8. For oven:  Cooking on a smaller rack above a pan filled with marinade works, as does cooking in marinade.   As with grill, baste often or when dry, and turn often.  Marinade can be thickened with flour if not already thick and goes good with a little veggies or as a dip for the tenderloin.

The original recipe I found for this left out basting... I've tried both.  Basted was good, but it was very rich and would have been better as an appetizer / side. 

Use store-bought five spice if you don't feel like making it.  It has a different flavor but will work. 

Serve with ???.  I mix and match things.  The extra marinade makes a good sauce / gravy for mashed potatoes.

A potentially better recipe is here, I'm going to try it next time for the heck of it. 

https://thewoksoflife.com/2015/07/bbq-char-siu-grill/

• 1 month later...

I am a complete NOOB at cooking outside of two or three dishes . . I want to learn . 

Trying to make some quick healthy (and tasty) meals - nothing over the top , just kind of tired of the usual chicken breast , potatoes and rice variations . . Lookin for some small tricks that can turn a basic dish into a delicious one .

My lady can cook up a storm but my ego refuses to let me ask her for help . we have one potluck and an annual Friendsgiving coming up in 2 months , gonna scour this thread and find something I can bring for both of those , along with dinner for 2 stuff I can whip up on a nightly basis at home . I work at a neighborhood grocery store and get a big hook up so I’ll test out some of the tamer recipes , will report back with how some of em turned out .

Stuffed Jacket Potatos--Makes 12

6 large Russet potatos

1lb bacon (cut into 1/2 in. pieces)

Kosher salt and pepper

1 head of broccoli (florets cut into small pieces, stalk peeled and diced)

1 cup creme fraîche

4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temp

8oz. sharp cheddar cut into 1/2 in. cubes at room temp

1/2 cup thinly sliced chives

DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 450F. Poke holes all over the potatoes with a fork, then place on a baking sheet and bake until tender when pierced in the center with a for (about an hour).

Whiile the spuds are baking, render the fat out of the bacon bits in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally (about 10 mins). Once the bacon is crisp, put it on a paper towel to drain, save the fat too and use it for something else.

Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil, add the broccoli and cook until just crisp-tender (30-60 seconds). drain the broccoli in a colander and let it cool. 

Remove the potatoes from the oven and reduce heat to 375F. Let the potatoes sit for a while until theyre cool enough to handle, then halve each potato lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the insides leaving about a quarter in. thick inside the skin. Transfer the potato you just scooped out to a large bowl and add the creme fraîche and butter, mash until smooth. Add the bacon, broccoli, cheese, and chives and stir well. Season to taste with pepper and salt.  Put the potatoskin shells back on baking sheets and divide the mixture up into them.

Use a fork to rough the top of the potatoes in order to get nooks and crannies thatll get crispy in the oven. Bake until the tops are golden-brown and the cheese is melted (15-20 mins). 

Thats it, serve while theyre hot!

• 8 months later...

recently made this but served with Israeli couscous and it worked out nicely but I doubled the tomato paste.

make sure you season it heavily because at first it was bland as fuck

Pork, mushroom and marsala stew
Hot, thick and hearty, this glorious pork, mushroom and marsala stew makes the ultimate comfort food for a cool Winter evening. Scoop yourself a bowl straight out of the pot, and enjoy with a slice of crusty bread.

Ingredients
1 kilogram boneless pork shoulder, chopped coarsely
1/4 cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
2 tablespoon olive oil
4 shallots, sliced thinly
2 clove garlic, sliced thinly
300 gram swiss brown mushrooms, halved
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
1 cup (250ml) marsala, or port or sherry.
1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
1 cup (250ml) water
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

method

Pork, mushroom and marsala stew
1    Coat pork in flour; shake off excess. Heat oil in a large saucepan or flameproof dish over medium high heat; cook pork, in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
2    Cook shallot, garlic, mushrooms and rosemary in same pan, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned. Add marsala; cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
3    Return pork to pan with stock, the water and paste; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 1¾ hours, stirring occasionally, or until pork is tender. Season to taste.
4    Serve stew sprinkled with parsley.

Archived