Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the best chocolate sauce in the universe

warm, it pours over stuff, all kinds of stuff

room temperature, it is soft and malleable, but stiff enough to ice a cake with

cold, it is stiff like fudge

......................................................................yum.............

1 part heavy cream

1 part semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (preferably lindt, tobler, etc)

warm the heavy cream gently in a heavy saucepan

put the chocolate (cut it into chunks) into the heavy cream

stir constantly with a wooden spoon

when smooth and thoroughly mixed, it's done

stores for quite some time in the fridge

so ice a cake with it

pour it on your girlfriend

use it to dip fruit in

roll it into little balls and coat it with caramel or coconut and make bonbons

etc

Originally posted by crso

i wish i could cook.:(

learn!

it is not hard at all...

what do you need to know?

ask away, i consider myself an expert, and if i don't know, 23578 will

I am trying to learn about this cooking thing, last year someone gave me a cookbook titled, "HELP! My Apartment Has a Kitchen"!

It has some pretty good recipes in it,all are fairly simple as well, but theres a good mix of different types of foods.

Originally posted by Are2

learn!

it is not hard at all...

what do you need to know?

ask away, i consider myself an expert, and if i don't know, 23578 will

does bar bq count as cooking . because if it does i guess i can cook.

^^^

hell yes its cookin!!

its cookin with mofuckin gaaaasssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got a book called

barbeque bible..it's the shiznit

hey that would be cool with me, if i don't know the answer i'd find you one. remember that there are often many solutions to a cooking problem and there is often no single right answer.

that's me however, a good library, and some foriegn restaurant menus (names, people, names) and the internet are great resources from where to start, let your tastes be your guide, and pretty soon you'll be earning the praise. any beginner would be well served to take a food safety class or read up on it quite a bit first, you're not going to kill yourself, but you're time could be better spent anywhere but on the shitter not to mention the taste issues. when in doubt, throw it out, you know.

the bar-b-q bible is a good book, with good anecdotal info, i read it a couple summers ago, my only criticism is that some of the recipes are over-simplified and the flavor gets lost, but, yeah, what do I expect, the guy only went around the world once (i think), he can't have had the best of the best teachers. not to take anything away from it most of them are good and some are exceptionally good, i tried his texas brisket, and carolina pulled pork if i remember correctly, they were the shit. i wish i owned it. my number one food book that i want to buy right now is culinaria, it's a big book about carribean cooking with detailed explanations about ingredients, the people, their culture, and their food. it's got a hot pink cover and it's big. i don't know why i said this, i guess it's because that's what a book about a cuisine should be. you can't try to take out just the bar-b-q and expect 100% understanding of just the bar-b-q. the bible is a really good book and i would be quite happy if i found it cheap. it's got some good veggie recipes in there as well if i remember correctly.

• 1 month later...
Guest Are2

bump

i recently got to sample some fucking incredible, authentic, alaskan crab legs

wooohooo!!

i'll have to put up a crab cake recipe when i get a sec...

Brocali Divan

4 chicken breast

some brocali (equivilant to 1 frozen bag, fresh and organic is the best though)

2 cans cream of chicken soup

2 tsp mayo

2 tso lemon juice

1/2 cup milk

parmessan cheese

cheddar cheese

preheat oven to 375

combine soup, mayo, milk, parmessan, lemon juice, in bowl, mix, set aside.

lay brocali in 13 X 9 pan (thaw if using frozen)

lay chicken over brocali (spice to your liking)

pour soup mixture over top

put that shit in the oven for 45 minutes then take it out (last part is important)

sprinkle cheddar on top

eat up!

you can make a good pizza crust with a medium or small cast iorn skillet and about a few tablespoons of oil, nice and hot, add shaved gold potatoes 1/2 inch thick, press, not too much tho, and cook on both sides till golden. use an extra plate to aid in turning over. add whatever pesto, sauce or toppings you want, and place under the broiler until the cheese gets melty. serves one or two people. great for summer when you can make it with fresh basil leaves, cherry tomatoes, and grated parmesan.

nomadawhat-not that i wouldn't love me some broccoli divan or whatever, but just remember broccoli is one of the most pesticide laced products on the market, they use four different types of pesticide on that shit-don't eat it everyday.

• 3 weeks later...

crab cakes

pint of clean crab meat

1 or 2 tblsp lemon juice

3 tblsp worcesteshire sauce

1 tblsp mayo

1 tbsp mustard

1 whipped up egg

1/3 cup bread crumbs or 2-3 pieces toast crumbled

parsley

salt and pepper to taste

old bay seasoning to taste...you want a lot

combine all ingredients and mix into the crab meat well

old bay is essential, and i think is now available everywhere

season it up how ya like,

for lower fat cakes, bake @ 425 degrees for about 10 minutes on each side on a well greased pan

or fry in hot oil for about 2 or 3 minutes on each side.

the thicker you make em, the longer it'll take to cook em..

the above times assume a 1 and 1/2 inch to 2 inch think cake that's about 3 inches around...

Originally posted by nomadawhat

^ damn, did not know that. thanks. i'll cough up the extra dough for the organic now. recipe has been edited!

organics have pesticides too...although a lot less..

on average, about 75% less pesticides than regular veggies

but, pesticides hang out in soil...its pretty tough to get something that is actually "pesticide free"

i just found out strawberries are particularly bad, too.

french onion soup for 1.

-onion, vidalia or other sweet onion works best

-slice it

-throw it in a pan with oil, and cook till well caramelized

-deglaze with some wine, cider vinegar, sake or just stock

-add beef stock (2 cups) and cook for a little bit

-put slice toasted bread on top and cover with cheeze, provo is the classic choice here i think

-put in oven under broiler until brown on top

-serve yourself

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

damn!

busted...again!!!

dood..usually when you're over there are way too many people to cook for, or like you said, you're drunk and you don't remember..

you know i am a woman of many talents!!

okay...next bbbq i'll cook

how about grilled shrimp kebabs with pineapple and red pepper??

homemade baked beans??

red potato salad and fresh coleslaw with red cabbage and carrots..

corn on the cob..

and cherry cobbler and blueberry cheesecake for dessert

christ i am droooooling.

this is what i learn from chillin at friends houses...lolol im too outta place...

GARLIC BREAD...

1 slice toasted bread

butter or margerine

garlic powder

spread butter on bread and sprinkle the garlic powder on...

CAKE...

1 slice bread

chocolate icing

put the icing on the bread and microwave for like 15 seconds...white icing tastes nasty for some reason...

uggh

we could go on and on with the ghetto ass recipes..but yuck

easy grilled cheese aint bad tho

2 slices toasted bread

cheese

put cheese in between, microwave 30 seconds..

but they are really soooooo much better in the pan.

french technique

im studying at le cordon bleu at the moment so ill add a couple. maybe after i learn more shit, ill start a thread with some dope recipies. i highly doubt very many people are going to be able to follow them though so maybe i wont. i know i couldnt make this shit without being shown how.

Re: french technique

Originally posted by jah

im studying at le cordon bleu at the moment so ill add a couple. maybe after i learn more shit, ill start a thread with some dope recipies. i highly doubt very many people are going to be able to follow them though so maybe i wont. i know i couldnt make this shit without being shown how.

cmon..don't underestimate your fellow 12ozers..

i know how to cook all sorts of things..i am trained in more than a few areas of culinary delights..including french cooking..

not that many people are even looking at this thread, but the ones that are mostly know what they're doing..

post up..i love homemade hollandaise!!

i doubt you could post a recipe i couldn't make...23578 knows whats up to..

well, ive only been studying for two weeks but here goes....

french puff pastry/glazed pears.

275 g bakers flour

2 g salt

25 g unsalted butter

150 ml water (cold)

lemon juice 1 tsp

1. sift the flour and salt into basin and rub butter in till evenly distributed and you have a sandy type texture. make a bay in center, add the water and lemon juice and mix together gradually. knead into smooth dough and roll into a ball for 15 minutes (make sure you do this for 15 minutes). wrap in suranwrap (sp) and let it rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

2. cut a cross in the ball of dough half way down, pull the four corners into the shape of a star (or flower or whatever you think it looks like) leaving the center fairly thick. roll out each corner to a quarter of the thickness of the center. the end result should look like four flaps off each side of a square platform.

3. knead 225 g butter into the same consistency and shape as the center (platform) of the paste and place it on the center. fold over the rolled-out corners of the past and encose the butter completely to exclude any air (its important that the butter is completely seeled off inside the dough).

4. press the paste with a rolling pin to flatten it slightly, then roll it out to an oblong approx. 60 cm x 20 cm. keep the sides straight (to look like a nice rectangle or square).

5. fold the pastry into three, seal the edges, then roll it out in the opposite direction to that previously done and again fold in three. wrap in suranwrap and let rest in fridge for 30 mins. (for those of you who know cooking terms thats called a "turn")

6. repeat stages 4 and 5 twice more, giving the pastry a total of 6 turns, resting for 30 minutes between each turn. rest again before using or wrap in suranwrap and keep refrigerated.

now you have your dough (and it only took you like 3 or 4 hours!!!). now for the pear pastry.

500g sugar

1L water

heat until boiled and solutionized.

pears 4

peel and decore pears.

poach pears in syrup (sugar water) for approx. 1 hour

cool in syrup.

roll out your pastry dough, cut out shape large enough for a whole pear to sit on. place pear on top, put in oven at 215 degrees celcius until pastry is cooked

apricot glaze (this should be prepared while pastry is cooking so it is ready to put on when the pastry is out of the oven)

apricot jam 100g (jelly. no chunks or seeds)

water (1/6 the amount of jam)

heat until mixed together smoothely.

take pear pastry out of oven, pour glaze on top. vuala! puff pastries.

more later....

we learn hollandaise sauce on monday.

Damn...it's summer, I'm looking at a food thread, and WHAM!! The concept of "clambake" assaults my brain. Steamed clams, lobster, corn on the cob, with cole slaw and potato salad optional. Cook steamers in a beer broth, and retain the broth afterward for dipping (dip clams first in beer broth, then melted butter. Corn on the cob MUST be locally grown and fresh picked, preferably that day, or don't even call it corn on the cob...the shit you get in stores wrapped in plastic is a useless has-been. Liberally butter and salt corn on the cob after boiling in lightly salted water for 10 minutes.

my favorite dish to make is some Lemon-Saffron Basmati or Jasmine rice.. you might be able to use some long grain arborio, but don't count on it. you need shallots, pine nuts (pigniola!), red onion, saffron, the rice, some chicken stock, garlic, spices.

I will get more in depth in a bit. right now I must go get my popcorn grub on. hint: popcorn with equal parts sugar and salt, plus lots of melted butter kicks your ass anytime, anyday.

Hello graffoodies, just here to say hi to everyone trying to learn a bit about this most common topic.

Good stuff jah, that shit would totally impress the ladies. I'm not gonna do it, because I have no lady right now, and no marble as well. Too much of a pain to keep that butter cold without a marble or soapstone surface. You know what French food I really want to make is some pates, you should hook a brother up when you come to that chapta.

On the corn tip, sometimes all we can get is corn wrapped in plastic, to rejuvinate it, put about a couple tablespoons or of honey in the water along with the salt, really freshens things up. Tip courtesy of Shirley Corriher, cookbook author and food scientist.

Anyway, I'm shish-kebabing it today with some friends. I saw the recipe on American Kitchen (I think), that show with Chris Kimball and friends, it's a really cool show, they have a food scientist to explain whatever principles are involved with making whatever food they're making the best, and he uses toys to explain it, it's cool! One tip he gave was to only use onions and red and yellow bell peppers, because they cook as fast as the meat and won't fall off the stick.

The other two must see cooking shows are Jaques Pepin's Cooking With Claudine and Micheal Chiarello's Napa, all on PBS. The only complaint I have is that everything they make is usually very hard to come by, and forget it, if I have to make more than one trip to the grocery a week you can bet I'm not having it. That and my thirty dollar food budget. I use those shows to give me an understanding of how to make regular food taste better. Anyhow, that's all for now folks.

I've looking for alternating methods to prepare cheese torttellini....

any suggestions?

so far i just cook it with pasta sauce, garlic, zuchinni, portebello mushrooms...........

sometimes i eat it just as is after boiled.

i'd like to try something new..

and pilau, thumbs fucking up on the spinach.... thats how i prepare it too, spanish taste too damn good its not funny.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by DEE38

I've looking for alternating methods to prepare cheese torttellini....

ok, you should try shameless self promotions awesome alfredo sauce.

for a lighter, easier version use

a roux, prepared with 1.5T flour/1.5T olive oil stirred together over medium heat with a wooden flat edged spon or spatula until a trace of color change is noticed, then set aside to cool

grated romano or parmasean cheese, about a half cup i think, less?

optional T lemon juice

a wee bit of salt

pepper and freshly ground nutmeg to taste

a cup of milk, heated to near boiling, but not boiled

combine milk and cooked roux, stir till beginning to coat the spoon, take off the heat and start adding the cheese little by little stirring the whole time, then you can add lemon juice and seasonings. cream does make it much more delicious, but it's way harder to keep from breaking since cream breaks at like 130 degrees F.

then there is basil pesto, clam sauce, red sauce, all with a million different variations, it's nice to have a nicely thickened sauce which properly flavors you're pasta, now this is the third time i've typed this so i'm gonna post this, so if you're scared of what you find on the web, you can find out about pasta by watching the master, Mario Vitelli, or Lydia, Esposito, and Chiarello, not to forget Jauques Pepin, the last four being on you're local PBS station, not sure if the west coast has much of that, but Mario is brutto favone (something like ugly but phenomanlly tasty).

Archived