Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Are2

Cooking with 12oz

POT-A-TOES

Yukon gold potatoes are the great all around potatoe, great for mashing, and will make a passable potatoe salad. As for other potatoes, russet's are a good mashing/baking potato while white and red potatoes are good for potato salad, boiled potatoes. This is pretty important, I'm sorry I didn't post it earlier for Vanity's sake. I'm thinking about starting a thread for him(her?), no him.

Guest Are2

Red Potato Chowder

red potatoes are also excellent for soup..

several red potatoes (4-5, peeled and in chunks)

carrots (2, cut into little chunks)

red pepper, diced

an onion, finely diced

shallot, finely diced

a few cloves of garlic, mashed

small can of corn

2 tblsp parsley

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp rosemary or marjoram

salt pepper

cayenne pepper

Combine all the spices (only a dash of salt and pepper), the carrots, the red pepper, shallots, garlic, and onion..cook on high heat in a little butter or oil just until the stuff is soft...add the potatoes, and just enough water to cover them..Boil on high until the potatoes are very soft (20-25 minutes)...mash thoroughly..it may be advisable to use a hand blender (although i don't have one, you can still make the recipe..just mash it good)..when the soup is a nice consistency..you want it thick, but not like cement, add the corn and heat for another moment..more salt and pepper will probably be needed here, season to your taste..cayenne gives a nice kick

Great with fresh bread or rolls..maybe a salad?

Guest Are2

A little note before i continue

i am a scientist by trade..a pharmacologist

i love to cook and have worked in the restaurant industry, back of the house, for over 6 years.

i want to stress that i believe cooking, and baking, are arts, not sciences..like everything else on earth, they are governed by the laws of science..

there are general principles to master in cooking that involve science (such as the fact that adding a solute, like salt, to water, makes it boil at a higher temperature, or the purpose of emulsifying agents, like mustard)..and more complicated ones, like how to keep hollaindaise from separating or curdling, and how to make a cake rise evenly)

but cooking is an art

i think everyone who looks at the recipes should see them as a general guide, not the bible

if you don't like the way it tastes, fix it your own way..

guide yourself by your tastes..

go to a few good restaurants, learn about what you like,. and modify things to fit your tastes..

btw..i never use measurements, so some of mine may be a bit off sometimes..i'll be perfect if i have to be (like for bread or cake or yeast stuff or whatever) and if an ingredient can't be omitted, i'll try to note it)

All that is definately good advice, however I would argue that knowing the science a bit, as you do, would definately help one get MORE creative with their recipes.

Here is a kick ass recipe, and quick if you have a blender, if not try it anyhow but you have to make sure you get that lemon color (stick with me, i explain later): German Breakfast Pancake.

Tools and Dishes:

blender

1/4 cup measuring cup

zester

ceramic baking dish thingy

Preheat oven to 475.

one egg

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup flour

dash almond extract

1/2 tsp. zest of a lemon

dash salt

2 Tb butter

confectioner's sugar for sprinkling over the top

2 Tb lemon juice (juice from half a lemon)

in a blender blend the egg until lemony colored, a few seconds, careful, too much blending will cook food esp. eggs. combine milk, flour, almond extract, lemon zest and salt in same, pulse till homogenous-the same consistancy throughout. put butter in a small baking dish, and place dish in the oven until it's nice and hot and the butter is melted but not burnt. remove dish from the oven and pour in your batter (should come halfway up the ceramic dish). place back in the oven for 12 minutes or till risen and golden on top. turn out on a plate, flip back over, and serve with lemon juice and then a dusting of the sugar on top.

kick ass recipe for that special morning with a loved one.

Man, I made the best sauce for salmon yesterday. I put some butter and oil in a pan with some sliced onions and big slices of garlic, got them nice and caramelized, threw in some sliced frozen strawberries, and ginger, and a few shots of mirin, some basil (1/4 tsp) and lots of dried mint (1/2 tsp) and about 1 tsp honey. Good to go after 15 minutes. Also good with some green beans. I put a bit of salt in it as well as some lemon juice after it was done (optional), and when I mixed it with the green beans (after they were almost done cooking) I put some soy sauce in there. MMMM, MMMM good. i also added one pickled jalepeno, unbroken about the same time as the ginger.

Guest Are2

Shrimp Scampi

okay..this is an easy one

one pound shrimp, peeled and deveined***

2 tablespoons of softened butter and/ot 2 tblsp olive oil

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 tsp tarragon or thyme

4 cloves of garlic, peeled, smashed to smithereens

1 shallot, chopped fine

salt/pepper/cayenne pepper to taste

***to devein shrimp (remove their intestinal tract/shit) take a sharp knife and cut the shrimp (after peeling) down the back, in the middle, lengthwise...(most) shrimp will have a nasty looking brown string of goo in there..get it out, and your shrimp will butterfly when cooked, making them look better, and the sandy grit shit will be removed, making them taste better...

after peeling/deveining, combine all ingrediants in a broiler-safe pan (or heavy duty foil) and broil high for a few minutes on each side (use good judgement, not all broilers cook the same, make sure both sides of the shrimp are fully cooked..flip with a pancake turner if neccesary)

serve broiled shrimp with asparagus and hollandaise (what i had last night..yummy!!)

or over pasta, or with some risotto...

or just with cocktail sauce

...if you don't have tarragon or thyme, try some ginger

I'm a novice at this whole thing...

My new favorite vegetable might be spinach. I never liked it as a kid, but oh lord, I have seen the light.

for two:

- 3 cloves chopped garlic

- 2 tbsp. of butter

- 2 large handfuls of fresh spinach

- seasoning

Melt the butter in a large pan and throw the chopped garlic in. Let the garlic soften for about a minute and immediately throw the spinach in. Toss it around and let it cook down a bit. Once the entire contents are soft and dark green looking, add your salt/pepper/whatever. This is the easiest green side dish to prepare ever. And it's soooooo good. Go for 4 cloves if you love it...or if your after dinner plans don't consist of heavy petting.

last night it was all about this and shrimp scampi over white rice.

and then heavy petting (i only used 3 cloves :D)

spinach rocks, good for vit. C. i like this one i've been eating the shit out of lately, even though it's fatty.

creamed spinach

spinach

salt+pepper

blender

some cream, cream cheese, goat cheese&cream, sour cream, whatever creamy thing you can think of.

blend.

fucking awesome, be sure to press the liquid out of it first. i would say a ten ounce package of frozen spinach should match well with three ounces of cheese. cream makes a runnier variety, so don't put in too much.

bucktown...

Are2, when you say you are from bucktown, do ya mean the bucktown in new orleans that i know and love! please say yes that would make my fukkin day

Guest crash!!!!

RECIPES!!

ive got a few passions in this life, but few bring me as much joy as cooking. everyones gotta be pretty damn hungery after sucking in paint fumes all night, right?

++PAD THAI++

"it's yummy as hell"

ingredients:

Noodles:

2 quarts water

6oz 1/4 in. rice noodles (asian section of the supermarket)

Sauce:

3 Tbs. lemon juice or lime juice

3 Tbs. ketchup

1 Tbs. sugar

1/4 cup soy sauce

Stir Fry:

1-2 Tbs. oil

4 large cloves, minced

1 medium fresh jalepeno, seeded and minced

2 meduim carrots, grated

1/4 lb. mung bean spouts (~1 1/2 cups)

4 scallions finely chopped

1/4lb. snow peas

handful chopped peanuts

6oz can water chestnuts

4oz tofu, frozen then thawed

1) in covered sauce pan bring water to a boil. add rice noodles and cook for 5-7 minutes. drain and rinse with cold water. if they start to stick together, rinse with cold water again.

2)in small bowl mix sauce ingredents

3)heat oil in skillet of wok on medium high, add garlic and jalepeno pepper, some seeds if you want it HOT. stir and fry for a moment, then add grated carrots and tofu. stirfry for 1 1/2 minutes then add sauce noodles beansprouts, peas, scallions,water chestnuts, peanuts and fry that pad thai! eat half, go tagging, come back and eat second half. makes enough for you and a few buddies.make this tonight because it took me time to type it.

post good recipes if you got them.

ADMINISTRATERS: would it be a problem if i posted a home brew recipe? i know there are rules against stealing and i didnt know if any legal debacle would apply here or not.let me know

Guest Are2

Re: bucktown...

Originally posted by tahs

Are2, when you say you are from bucktown, do ya mean the bucktown in new orleans that i know and love! please say yes that would make my fukkin day

i'm sorry, it's the bucktown that i know and love..also below the mason-dixon line, and in constant battle with new orleans for most murderous city in the nation

Guest Are2

the best chocolate sauce in the universe

warm, it pours over stuff, all kinds of stuff

room temperature, it is soft and malleable, but stiff enough to ice a cake with

cold, it is stiff like fudge

......................................................................yum.............

1 part heavy cream

1 part semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (preferably lindt, tobler, etc)

warm the heavy cream gently in a heavy saucepan

put the chocolate (cut it into chunks) into the heavy cream

stir constantly with a wooden spoon

when smooth and thoroughly mixed, it's done

stores for quite some time in the fridge

so ice a cake with it

pour it on your girlfriend

use it to dip fruit in

roll it into little balls and coat it with caramel or coconut and make bonbons

etc

Guest Are2
Originally posted by crso

i wish i could cook.:(

learn!

it is not hard at all...

what do you need to know?

ask away, i consider myself an expert, and if i don't know, 23578 will

I am trying to learn about this cooking thing, last year someone gave me a cookbook titled, "HELP! My Apartment Has a Kitchen"!

It has some pretty good recipes in it,all are fairly simple as well, but theres a good mix of different types of foods.

Originally posted by Are2

learn!

it is not hard at all...

what do you need to know?

ask away, i consider myself an expert, and if i don't know, 23578 will

does bar bq count as cooking . because if it does i guess i can cook.

Guest Are2

^^^

hell yes its cookin!!

its cookin with mofuckin gaaaasssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got a book called

barbeque bible..it's the shiznit

hey that would be cool with me, if i don't know the answer i'd find you one. remember that there are often many solutions to a cooking problem and there is often no single right answer.

that's me however, a good library, and some foriegn restaurant menus (names, people, names) and the internet are great resources from where to start, let your tastes be your guide, and pretty soon you'll be earning the praise. any beginner would be well served to take a food safety class or read up on it quite a bit first, you're not going to kill yourself, but you're time could be better spent anywhere but on the shitter not to mention the taste issues. when in doubt, throw it out, you know.

the bar-b-q bible is a good book, with good anecdotal info, i read it a couple summers ago, my only criticism is that some of the recipes are over-simplified and the flavor gets lost, but, yeah, what do I expect, the guy only went around the world once (i think), he can't have had the best of the best teachers. not to take anything away from it most of them are good and some are exceptionally good, i tried his texas brisket, and carolina pulled pork if i remember correctly, they were the shit. i wish i owned it. my number one food book that i want to buy right now is culinaria, it's a big book about carribean cooking with detailed explanations about ingredients, the people, their culture, and their food. it's got a hot pink cover and it's big. i don't know why i said this, i guess it's because that's what a book about a cuisine should be. you can't try to take out just the bar-b-q and expect 100% understanding of just the bar-b-q. the bible is a really good book and i would be quite happy if i found it cheap. it's got some good veggie recipes in there as well if i remember correctly.

Guest Are2

bump

i recently got to sample some fucking incredible, authentic, alaskan crab legs

wooohooo!!

i'll have to put up a crab cake recipe when i get a sec...

Brocali Divan

4 chicken breast

some brocali (equivilant to 1 frozen bag, fresh and organic is the best though)

2 cans cream of chicken soup

2 tsp mayo

2 tso lemon juice

1/2 cup milk

parmessan cheese

cheddar cheese

preheat oven to 375

combine soup, mayo, milk, parmessan, lemon juice, in bowl, mix, set aside.

lay brocali in 13 X 9 pan (thaw if using frozen)

lay chicken over brocali (spice to your liking)

pour soup mixture over top

put that shit in the oven for 45 minutes then take it out (last part is important)

sprinkle cheddar on top

eat up!

you can make a good pizza crust with a medium or small cast iorn skillet and about a few tablespoons of oil, nice and hot, add shaved gold potatoes 1/2 inch thick, press, not too much tho, and cook on both sides till golden. use an extra plate to aid in turning over. add whatever pesto, sauce or toppings you want, and place under the broiler until the cheese gets melty. serves one or two people. great for summer when you can make it with fresh basil leaves, cherry tomatoes, and grated parmesan.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now