Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Are2

Cooking with 12oz

Guest Pilau Hands

My name is Art Vandelay. I'm in the import/export business.

Hey Pilau, that looks familiar to me, does that shit in the middle taste like funky (in a good way) pudding, and is there yellow cake in there? Definately looks good whatever it is, you make it?

Haupia cake is From Hawaii.

It's got that pudding taste... sorta like a light coconut creame filling... with light white cake....... and on the top its usually got sprinkled coconut flakes (fresh ones yummm)

HAUPIA... its sorta like coconut jello.... but instead of water with your mix, i think they use milk.... if im not wrong, carnation milk.. or condensed milk. i forgot.. but its really delicious.

Guest Are2
Originally posted by Zack Morris

Are2 if your ever in louisville ky I will hook you up with a kitchen and a place to sleep if you hook me up with a meal.

hell yeah!

i'll make ya chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob and biscuits and gravy...we'll have lemon meringue pie for dessert..

yummy!

that has inspired me:

later on i will post the recipe for a vegan gravy that will knock your block off!!

(.you can make it meaty as well)

Um, while we're waiting on that, i've been trying to get good smutherin' gravy down.

Start by making a roux (brown equal parts butter and/or oil and flour in a pan). Get real chocolaty dark in a cast iorn pan, i use aluminum sometimes, but that's here nor there, or sometimes an enameled pot. You need a wooden spatula or spoon for this and a whole lot of time. Before you start, because I don't like to stop midway and cool my pan while stirring and then heat it up again, chop at least one bell pepper, a couple small or one large onion, and some celery, about two good size stalks really fine. oOnce the roux is browned sufficiently, low heat is best, but an experienced cook can turn up the heat a bit, you throw a good handful of the veggies in, brown until they're unrecognizable from the roux, add more veggies and cook until you can still see em, but they melt in your mouth. Now brown some flour dusted meat in a separate pot with a little oil, throw in the gravy and some salt, simmer for an hour, depending on the cut you choose of course, and serve with above side dishes.

What up southerners, am I on point with this one Are2?

Originally posted by Are2

oh goodie!!

i'm such a mom type sometimes..i love to go out to the yard and paint a bunch and then round everyone up to go home for some omelettes!!

yummy..

okay..i'll post a dessert recipe tomorrow too..

i love omelettes i think im pretty good at making them too but then ill have to see my friends make em ha ha ha

Funny, Are2 is the fuckin´ bomb cook and what food do I remember from hanging out with her? Malt liquor and Wendy´s.

My personal faves are all fresh pastas. You need space you can really mess up and some time. But it´s fun on a Saturday or at the parents house or something. The cool thing is all you need is a couple things, and your basic pasta dough is all the same.

Eggs,

Flour, (preferably semolina)

Cream of Wheat.

Use about eight times the flour that you do cream of wheat. Enough eggs to make a nice dough, kinda dry. Get a rolling pin and a knife or whatever and have fun. Cut it up and let it dry for a few hours if you can. Cook time depends, but you´ll figure it out, it´s just pasta, not hard to figure out.

It keeps for about four days, then you should stick it in the freezer.

Those are the basics, the nuances I´ll keep to myself or trade with people who have something to share as well.

Women really lose their panties when I cook for them, in my experience. Just a word to the wide.

s3k.

Guest Are2
Originally posted by Sonik3000

Funny, Are2 is the fuckin´ bomb cook and what food do I remember from hanging out with her? Malt liquor and Wendy´s.

Women really lose their panties when I cook for them, in my experience. Just a word to the wide.

s3k.

oh yeah..that's cuz i'm the fuckin bomb! HA!!

you didn't get hooked cuz me and the mr. still lived in a rat infested house with a bacteria-laden kitchen..i would never have forced my guests to eat anything that came out of that place...

but now we have a nice spot..when are ya gonna come back for a visit?

Guest Are2

Kick Ass Vegan Gravy

one shallot, chopped fine

3 cloves garlic chopped and mashed

1/4 small onion, diced.. or dried onion flakes

vegetarian boullion (2 cubes to make one cup or one cup fresh)

1/3 cup worcesteshire sauce

1/2 tsp Gravy Master (works without this too)

1 bay leaf

1 tsp. rosemary

1/2 tsp marjoram or thyme

dash cumin

salt pepper

1 tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in about 1 tblsp of water or boullion

blend the onion, shallot, and garlic in a tiny bit of oil, and about 1/4 cup of stock..add salt and pepper(just a dash)..saute over med high heat until soft and brown

blend in the worcteshire, ramainder of the boullion, gravy master, and all the spices..add extra salt and pepper if desired, lower heat to medium.

add the dissolved cornstarch..as long as the gravy is hot, the mixture should thicken immediately..add a little more dissolved cornstarch, or a little more boullion (or water) to get the desired consistancy..

**note..bay leaf doesn't have to be ground..it will work its magic whole, then remove it before serving**

serve with biscuits, or garlic mashed potatoes, or all over your favorite (fake) meat pattie

I´ll be back stateside in like a month, we´ll talk then, Are2.... in the meantime check your mailbox in a week or so...actually I have no idea how long the mail will take here, but I guess within two weeks.

New Recipe:

Whip heavy cream, a little vanilla, a little maple syrup, and some sugar.

Get creative eating it with your woman. Anyone like Herb Alpert album covers?

Sonik3000

Oh, a SLURRY gravy, that's a good one, quick too, but not very southern and too fancy for me thank you.

Last night's meal:

top sirloin/london broil sliced thin on the bias, blackened in some SPICES;

brussel sprouts, boiled in salted water for about six minutes, cooled rapidly then warmed back up;

orange fleshed squash a half inch thick, baked in 400degreeF, on a cookie sheet, with a dash of oil, until a little brown, but not dry

Cooking is one thing I don't hold back on (telling), I think most Chefs feel that way.

this is a great topic, i wish i cooked more than i do, i love to cook, but at the end of a long day it's hard to get in the kitchen and get involved in a long dish, but anyways heres a little pizza recipe made using a boboli crust

get 2 medium size butternut or acorn squash, split the squash and cut down into smaller pieces, then boil in water untill tender. while squash is boiling, carmalize one large yellow onion with a 3 or 4 cloves of freshly minced garlic, set this aside untill squash is done, squash will be done when the inner meat of the squash is very tender. meanwhile take some tofu, extra firm if possible, and cut down into small bite size pieces, fry up the tufu untill browned or semi crisp outside, drain off oil and refry tofu with soy sauce, this will create a bacon like tofu bit to put on the pizza. by now the squash should be done, drain and cool the squash. when cooled scrape out the insides of the squash into a large bowl and discard the skin, add the onions and garlic to the bowl and mash with a fork untill youve have eliminated most lumps. this will be your pizza sauce, spread the squash evenly on boboli and then add tofu ontop of the squash evenly, now you get to add your favorite vegetables, i usualy use roma tomatos sliced, some broccolli flowerettes, and some bell peppers, red or yellow, maybe if im getting crazey i'll add mushrooms, oooooooh. you can opt for some cheeze, or not, some freshly grated mozerella or a sarp cheddar etc. its good with or without cheese. then bake that baby in the oven @ 375 untill cheese is melted or broccolli sarts to brown a little on the edges, remove from oven and waalaa. slice up and serve. i hope whoever decides to try this that you enjoy it, its one of my favorite things to cook, its pretty easy really. enjoy fellow foodlovers.

Guest Are2

your gravy sounds awesome..roux is the best base for a gravy..

however, us vegetarians have a tough time getting a hearty, and flavorful gravy without meat..the only canned one is franco american mushroom..not that good..it took a while to develop the recipe i put down, i think it is best for mashed potatoes, not really good for straight up biscuits and gravy..

and no gravy is "southern style" without meat..

deglazing a pan is the ultimate way to make gravy..veal is the best for such purposes..also, very little need fopr a thickening agent..

i'm trying to think of a good one for today, maybe no time due to my art show tonight..we'll see

Originally posted by I Luv Roo

Cereal's like the most expensive thing in the store!

not generic cornflakes...buck fifty for a large box.

Guest Are2

..and who could forget cream of wheat?

that stuff was always in my cabinet as a kid..we were poor

pancake mix is another great low cost, filling (breakfast) meal maker

..although, i cannot eat ramen EVER AGAIN

Originally posted by Are2

23578..and no gravy is "southern style" without meat..

yeah, but you can get a fair approximation like i described. i usually will throw in some ham chunks if i'm not deglazing the little fried meat bits to start the roux. what i described, i think is a lot like how paul prudomme will make his gumbo, he'll cook some of the veggies (okra included) so the totally caramelize into the sauce and add bits at intervals so some will be just cooked. it struck me as a good (the best?) way to get flavor for you veggie nuts.

on another note, harvard study in today's paper said eating processed meat (think ham?, bacon, hot dogs) will cause type 2 diabetes 50% more in subjects. i have to say maybe that this probably has something to do with the salt that is so prevalent in such foods, nevertheless a good think to reduce as part of our diets (vanity).

bump for are2's kitchen brilliance.

dammit im hungry. just hit up rite aid on the latenight tip and all i bought was cat food. i dont even like purina. what was i thinking.

girls that can cook(well). you truly are the last of a dying breed. mucho propers

DON'T EAT THE CATS OR DOGS (or fishes) FOOD

Seriously folks, you know you've done it, don't do it anymore. It's really disgusting, and definately harmful to you. Even the "harmless" treats carry many food bourne illnesses that can harm or kill humans. Next time someone tries to get you to eat some kitty vittles, JUST SAY NO!

For more information on food bourne illnesses and what to do to prevent their making an impact on your life, do a GOOGLE SEARCH for those keywords, or look up the FDA's website, there's tons of shit on there. University of Florida hosts the FDA's major site I believe, but the University of Iowa has a mad cool flip book that hits the majors. Keep sanitary, keep safe people.

Guest Are2

oh absolutely!

good food can only come from a clean kitchen

last night i had stuffed red peppers..oo they were really yummy

good mashed potato recipe in a bit...

Guest Are2

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

3-4 large peeled potatoes, (russet or baking) cut into 1/2 inch to 1 inch cubes

1 peeled carrot, cut into chunks

4 cloves garlic, mashed to smithereens

2 or 3 tblsp butter (or margarine)

1/4 cup milk (plus a bit more if needed)

1/4 cup sour cream

salt and pepper

boil a large pot of water, adding a dash of salt....after it comes to a boil, put the potatoes and the carrot chunks in the pot

cook for about 18-20 minutes..cook time will depend on the size of the chunks..if you can cut right through the potatoe with a butter knife or the side of a fork with NO resistance, it is cooked..don't overcook either

drain the potatoes and add a generous amount of salt and pepper (remember though..you can always add more, so don't overdo it)

...add the mashed garlic, milk, butter and sour cream to the potatoes, mash the potatoes (and carrot) into oblivion.if you have a press, press it right into the pot..mash until smooth or until you like it

add more salt and pepper if desired...(if the stuff is bland and gross, keep adding..potatoes usually take a lot of salt even if you don't usually use very much on your food)

the carrot adds a nice flavor to the potatoes..

***truffle oil drizzled into the potatoes is a gourmet touch..expensive but tasty**

Ahhh, garlic mashed potatoes...another specialty of mine. Here's a few tips I've discovered:

-Yukon Gold potatoes give tastier results.

-Smaller cubed potatoes leach more of their flavor into the boiling water (more surface area). It takes longer to cook larger potato chunks but you retain a bit of extra flavor.

-For the ultimate in not letting potato flavor be drained away with the water, use less water (not quite enough to cover the potatoes) and if you do it right, the potatoes will be done cooking just as the last of the water boils away, leaving a little bit of sludge but nothing to drain.

-More sour cream, less milk - yum.

-Fresh ground pepper, or at least the coarse grain black pepper is a subtle but noticeable improvement.

I haven't tried the carrot in there, that sounds good.

Guest Are2

thanks for the tips!!

i forgot about yukon golds..they're not sold very many places around here..but they are a restaurant favorite..

white pepper is prettiest..

and i totally agree with the barely any water thing

that always happens to me cuz my pots aren't big enough though

ooo yum..i'm gonna go home and make that shit right now!!!!

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now