Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

Originally posted by Sonik3000

Funny, Are2 is the fuckin´ bomb cook and what food do I remember from hanging out with her? Malt liquor and Wendy´s.

Women really lose their panties when I cook for them, in my experience. Just a word to the wide.

s3k.

oh yeah..that's cuz i'm the fuckin bomb! HA!!

you didn't get hooked cuz me and the mr. still lived in a rat infested house with a bacteria-laden kitchen..i would never have forced my guests to eat anything that came out of that place...

but now we have a nice spot..when are ya gonna come back for a visit?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kick Ass Vegan Gravy

one shallot, chopped fine

3 cloves garlic chopped and mashed

1/4 small onion, diced.. or dried onion flakes

vegetarian boullion (2 cubes to make one cup or one cup fresh)

1/3 cup worcesteshire sauce

1/2 tsp Gravy Master (works without this too)

1 bay leaf

1 tsp. rosemary

1/2 tsp marjoram or thyme

dash cumin

salt pepper

1 tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in about 1 tblsp of water or boullion

blend the onion, shallot, and garlic in a tiny bit of oil, and about 1/4 cup of stock..add salt and pepper(just a dash)..saute over med high heat until soft and brown

blend in the worcteshire, ramainder of the boullion, gravy master, and all the spices..add extra salt and pepper if desired, lower heat to medium.

add the dissolved cornstarch..as long as the gravy is hot, the mixture should thicken immediately..add a little more dissolved cornstarch, or a little more boullion (or water) to get the desired consistancy..

**note..bay leaf doesn't have to be ground..it will work its magic whole, then remove it before serving**

serve with biscuits, or garlic mashed potatoes, or all over your favorite (fake) meat pattie

I´ll be back stateside in like a month, we´ll talk then, Are2.... in the meantime check your mailbox in a week or so...actually I have no idea how long the mail will take here, but I guess within two weeks.

New Recipe:

Whip heavy cream, a little vanilla, a little maple syrup, and some sugar.

Get creative eating it with your woman. Anyone like Herb Alpert album covers?

Sonik3000

Oh, a SLURRY gravy, that's a good one, quick too, but not very southern and too fancy for me thank you.

Last night's meal:

top sirloin/london broil sliced thin on the bias, blackened in some SPICES;

brussel sprouts, boiled in salted water for about six minutes, cooled rapidly then warmed back up;

orange fleshed squash a half inch thick, baked in 400degreeF, on a cookie sheet, with a dash of oil, until a little brown, but not dry

Cooking is one thing I don't hold back on (telling), I think most Chefs feel that way.

this is a great topic, i wish i cooked more than i do, i love to cook, but at the end of a long day it's hard to get in the kitchen and get involved in a long dish, but anyways heres a little pizza recipe made using a boboli crust

get 2 medium size butternut or acorn squash, split the squash and cut down into smaller pieces, then boil in water untill tender. while squash is boiling, carmalize one large yellow onion with a 3 or 4 cloves of freshly minced garlic, set this aside untill squash is done, squash will be done when the inner meat of the squash is very tender. meanwhile take some tofu, extra firm if possible, and cut down into small bite size pieces, fry up the tufu untill browned or semi crisp outside, drain off oil and refry tofu with soy sauce, this will create a bacon like tofu bit to put on the pizza. by now the squash should be done, drain and cool the squash. when cooled scrape out the insides of the squash into a large bowl and discard the skin, add the onions and garlic to the bowl and mash with a fork untill youve have eliminated most lumps. this will be your pizza sauce, spread the squash evenly on boboli and then add tofu ontop of the squash evenly, now you get to add your favorite vegetables, i usualy use roma tomatos sliced, some broccolli flowerettes, and some bell peppers, red or yellow, maybe if im getting crazey i'll add mushrooms, oooooooh. you can opt for some cheeze, or not, some freshly grated mozerella or a sarp cheddar etc. its good with or without cheese. then bake that baby in the oven @ 375 untill cheese is melted or broccolli sarts to brown a little on the edges, remove from oven and waalaa. slice up and serve. i hope whoever decides to try this that you enjoy it, its one of my favorite things to cook, its pretty easy really. enjoy fellow foodlovers.

your gravy sounds awesome..roux is the best base for a gravy..

however, us vegetarians have a tough time getting a hearty, and flavorful gravy without meat..the only canned one is franco american mushroom..not that good..it took a while to develop the recipe i put down, i think it is best for mashed potatoes, not really good for straight up biscuits and gravy..

and no gravy is "southern style" without meat..

deglazing a pan is the ultimate way to make gravy..veal is the best for such purposes..also, very little need fopr a thickening agent..

i'm trying to think of a good one for today, maybe no time due to my art show tonight..we'll see

..and who could forget cream of wheat?

that stuff was always in my cabinet as a kid..we were poor

pancake mix is another great low cost, filling (breakfast) meal maker

..although, i cannot eat ramen EVER AGAIN

Originally posted by Are2

23578..and no gravy is "southern style" without meat..

yeah, but you can get a fair approximation like i described. i usually will throw in some ham chunks if i'm not deglazing the little fried meat bits to start the roux. what i described, i think is a lot like how paul prudomme will make his gumbo, he'll cook some of the veggies (okra included) so the totally caramelize into the sauce and add bits at intervals so some will be just cooked. it struck me as a good (the best?) way to get flavor for you veggie nuts.

on another note, harvard study in today's paper said eating processed meat (think ham?, bacon, hot dogs) will cause type 2 diabetes 50% more in subjects. i have to say maybe that this probably has something to do with the salt that is so prevalent in such foods, nevertheless a good think to reduce as part of our diets (vanity).

bump for are2's kitchen brilliance.

DON'T EAT THE CATS OR DOGS (or fishes) FOOD

Seriously folks, you know you've done it, don't do it anymore. It's really disgusting, and definately harmful to you. Even the "harmless" treats carry many food bourne illnesses that can harm or kill humans. Next time someone tries to get you to eat some kitty vittles, JUST SAY NO!

For more information on food bourne illnesses and what to do to prevent their making an impact on your life, do a GOOGLE SEARCH for those keywords, or look up the FDA's website, there's tons of shit on there. University of Florida hosts the FDA's major site I believe, but the University of Iowa has a mad cool flip book that hits the majors. Keep sanitary, keep safe people.

oh absolutely!

good food can only come from a clean kitchen

last night i had stuffed red peppers..oo they were really yummy

good mashed potato recipe in a bit...

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

3-4 large peeled potatoes, (russet or baking) cut into 1/2 inch to 1 inch cubes

1 peeled carrot, cut into chunks

4 cloves garlic, mashed to smithereens

2 or 3 tblsp butter (or margarine)

1/4 cup milk (plus a bit more if needed)

1/4 cup sour cream

salt and pepper

boil a large pot of water, adding a dash of salt....after it comes to a boil, put the potatoes and the carrot chunks in the pot

cook for about 18-20 minutes..cook time will depend on the size of the chunks..if you can cut right through the potatoe with a butter knife or the side of a fork with NO resistance, it is cooked..don't overcook either

drain the potatoes and add a generous amount of salt and pepper (remember though..you can always add more, so don't overdo it)

...add the mashed garlic, milk, butter and sour cream to the potatoes, mash the potatoes (and carrot) into oblivion.if you have a press, press it right into the pot..mash until smooth or until you like it

add more salt and pepper if desired...(if the stuff is bland and gross, keep adding..potatoes usually take a lot of salt even if you don't usually use very much on your food)

the carrot adds a nice flavor to the potatoes..

***truffle oil drizzled into the potatoes is a gourmet touch..expensive but tasty**

Ahhh, garlic mashed potatoes...another specialty of mine. Here's a few tips I've discovered:

-Yukon Gold potatoes give tastier results.

-Smaller cubed potatoes leach more of their flavor into the boiling water (more surface area). It takes longer to cook larger potato chunks but you retain a bit of extra flavor.

-For the ultimate in not letting potato flavor be drained away with the water, use less water (not quite enough to cover the potatoes) and if you do it right, the potatoes will be done cooking just as the last of the water boils away, leaving a little bit of sludge but nothing to drain.

-More sour cream, less milk - yum.

-Fresh ground pepper, or at least the coarse grain black pepper is a subtle but noticeable improvement.

I haven't tried the carrot in there, that sounds good.

thanks for the tips!!

i forgot about yukon golds..they're not sold very many places around here..but they are a restaurant favorite..

white pepper is prettiest..

and i totally agree with the barely any water thing

that always happens to me cuz my pots aren't big enough though

ooo yum..i'm gonna go home and make that shit right now!!!!

POT-A-TOES

Yukon gold potatoes are the great all around potatoe, great for mashing, and will make a passable potatoe salad. As for other potatoes, russet's are a good mashing/baking potato while white and red potatoes are good for potato salad, boiled potatoes. This is pretty important, I'm sorry I didn't post it earlier for Vanity's sake. I'm thinking about starting a thread for him(her?), no him.

Red Potato Chowder

red potatoes are also excellent for soup..

several red potatoes (4-5, peeled and in chunks)

carrots (2, cut into little chunks)

red pepper, diced

an onion, finely diced

shallot, finely diced

a few cloves of garlic, mashed

small can of corn

2 tblsp parsley

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp rosemary or marjoram

salt pepper

cayenne pepper

Combine all the spices (only a dash of salt and pepper), the carrots, the red pepper, shallots, garlic, and onion..cook on high heat in a little butter or oil just until the stuff is soft...add the potatoes, and just enough water to cover them..Boil on high until the potatoes are very soft (20-25 minutes)...mash thoroughly..it may be advisable to use a hand blender (although i don't have one, you can still make the recipe..just mash it good)..when the soup is a nice consistency..you want it thick, but not like cement, add the corn and heat for another moment..more salt and pepper will probably be needed here, season to your taste..cayenne gives a nice kick

Great with fresh bread or rolls..maybe a salad?

A little note before i continue

i am a scientist by trade..a pharmacologist

i love to cook and have worked in the restaurant industry, back of the house, for over 6 years.

i want to stress that i believe cooking, and baking, are arts, not sciences..like everything else on earth, they are governed by the laws of science..

there are general principles to master in cooking that involve science (such as the fact that adding a solute, like salt, to water, makes it boil at a higher temperature, or the purpose of emulsifying agents, like mustard)..and more complicated ones, like how to keep hollaindaise from separating or curdling, and how to make a cake rise evenly)

but cooking is an art

i think everyone who looks at the recipes should see them as a general guide, not the bible

if you don't like the way it tastes, fix it your own way..

guide yourself by your tastes..

go to a few good restaurants, learn about what you like,. and modify things to fit your tastes..

btw..i never use measurements, so some of mine may be a bit off sometimes..i'll be perfect if i have to be (like for bread or cake or yeast stuff or whatever) and if an ingredient can't be omitted, i'll try to note it)

All that is definately good advice, however I would argue that knowing the science a bit, as you do, would definately help one get MORE creative with their recipes.

Here is a kick ass recipe, and quick if you have a blender, if not try it anyhow but you have to make sure you get that lemon color (stick with me, i explain later): German Breakfast Pancake.

Tools and Dishes:

blender

1/4 cup measuring cup

zester

ceramic baking dish thingy

Preheat oven to 475.

one egg

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup flour

dash almond extract

1/2 tsp. zest of a lemon

dash salt

2 Tb butter

confectioner's sugar for sprinkling over the top

2 Tb lemon juice (juice from half a lemon)

in a blender blend the egg until lemony colored, a few seconds, careful, too much blending will cook food esp. eggs. combine milk, flour, almond extract, lemon zest and salt in same, pulse till homogenous-the same consistancy throughout. put butter in a small baking dish, and place dish in the oven until it's nice and hot and the butter is melted but not burnt. remove dish from the oven and pour in your batter (should come halfway up the ceramic dish). place back in the oven for 12 minutes or till risen and golden on top. turn out on a plate, flip back over, and serve with lemon juice and then a dusting of the sugar on top.

kick ass recipe for that special morning with a loved one.

Man, I made the best sauce for salmon yesterday. I put some butter and oil in a pan with some sliced onions and big slices of garlic, got them nice and caramelized, threw in some sliced frozen strawberries, and ginger, and a few shots of mirin, some basil (1/4 tsp) and lots of dried mint (1/2 tsp) and about 1 tsp honey. Good to go after 15 minutes. Also good with some green beans. I put a bit of salt in it as well as some lemon juice after it was done (optional), and when I mixed it with the green beans (after they were almost done cooking) I put some soy sauce in there. MMMM, MMMM good. i also added one pickled jalepeno, unbroken about the same time as the ginger.

Shrimp Scampi

okay..this is an easy one

one pound shrimp, peeled and deveined***

2 tablespoons of softened butter and/ot 2 tblsp olive oil

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 tsp tarragon or thyme

4 cloves of garlic, peeled, smashed to smithereens

1 shallot, chopped fine

salt/pepper/cayenne pepper to taste

***to devein shrimp (remove their intestinal tract/shit) take a sharp knife and cut the shrimp (after peeling) down the back, in the middle, lengthwise...(most) shrimp will have a nasty looking brown string of goo in there..get it out, and your shrimp will butterfly when cooked, making them look better, and the sandy grit shit will be removed, making them taste better...

after peeling/deveining, combine all ingrediants in a broiler-safe pan (or heavy duty foil) and broil high for a few minutes on each side (use good judgement, not all broilers cook the same, make sure both sides of the shrimp are fully cooked..flip with a pancake turner if neccesary)

serve broiled shrimp with asparagus and hollandaise (what i had last night..yummy!!)

or over pasta, or with some risotto...

or just with cocktail sauce

...if you don't have tarragon or thyme, try some ginger

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a novice at this whole thing...

My new favorite vegetable might be spinach. I never liked it as a kid, but oh lord, I have seen the light.

for two:

- 3 cloves chopped garlic

- 2 tbsp. of butter

- 2 large handfuls of fresh spinach

- seasoning

Melt the butter in a large pan and throw the chopped garlic in. Let the garlic soften for about a minute and immediately throw the spinach in. Toss it around and let it cook down a bit. Once the entire contents are soft and dark green looking, add your salt/pepper/whatever. This is the easiest green side dish to prepare ever. And it's soooooo good. Go for 4 cloves if you love it...or if your after dinner plans don't consist of heavy petting.

last night it was all about this and shrimp scampi over white rice.

and then heavy petting (i only used 3 cloves :D)

spinach rocks, good for vit. C. i like this one i've been eating the shit out of lately, even though it's fatty.

creamed spinach

spinach

salt+pepper

blender

some cream, cream cheese, goat cheese&cream, sour cream, whatever creamy thing you can think of.

blend.

fucking awesome, be sure to press the liquid out of it first. i would say a ten ounce package of frozen spinach should match well with three ounces of cheese. cream makes a runnier variety, so don't put in too much.

Guest crash!!!!

RECIPES!!

ive got a few passions in this life, but few bring me as much joy as cooking. everyones gotta be pretty damn hungery after sucking in paint fumes all night, right?

++PAD THAI++

"it's yummy as hell"

ingredients:

Noodles:

2 quarts water

6oz 1/4 in. rice noodles (asian section of the supermarket)

Sauce:

3 Tbs. lemon juice or lime juice

3 Tbs. ketchup

1 Tbs. sugar

1/4 cup soy sauce

Stir Fry:

1-2 Tbs. oil

4 large cloves, minced

1 medium fresh jalepeno, seeded and minced

2 meduim carrots, grated

1/4 lb. mung bean spouts (~1 1/2 cups)

4 scallions finely chopped

1/4lb. snow peas

handful chopped peanuts

6oz can water chestnuts

4oz tofu, frozen then thawed

1) in covered sauce pan bring water to a boil. add rice noodles and cook for 5-7 minutes. drain and rinse with cold water. if they start to stick together, rinse with cold water again.

2)in small bowl mix sauce ingredents

3)heat oil in skillet of wok on medium high, add garlic and jalepeno pepper, some seeds if you want it HOT. stir and fry for a moment, then add grated carrots and tofu. stirfry for 1 1/2 minutes then add sauce noodles beansprouts, peas, scallions,water chestnuts, peanuts and fry that pad thai! eat half, go tagging, come back and eat second half. makes enough for you and a few buddies.make this tonight because it took me time to type it.

post good recipes if you got them.

ADMINISTRATERS: would it be a problem if i posted a home brew recipe? i know there are rules against stealing and i didnt know if any legal debacle would apply here or not.let me know

Re: bucktown...

Originally posted by tahs

Are2, when you say you are from bucktown, do ya mean the bucktown in new orleans that i know and love! please say yes that would make my fukkin day

i'm sorry, it's the bucktown that i know and love..also below the mason-dixon line, and in constant battle with new orleans for most murderous city in the nation

Archived