problem solving

Guest beardo

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

easy:

If you put a coin in an empty bottle and insert a cork into the neck of the bottle, how could you remove the coin without taking the cork out or breaking the bottle?

not as easy:

You want to send a valuable object to a friend securely. You have a box which can be fitted with multiple locks, and you have several locks and their corresponding keys. However, your friend does not have any keys to your locks, and if you send a key in an unlocked box, the key could be copied en route. How can you send the object securely?

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by beardo

easy:

If you put a coin in an empty bottle and insert a cork into the neck of the bottle, how could you remove the coin without taking the cork out or breaking the bottle?

push the cork into the bottle

im working on the second

I dunno Beardo's but here's another:

you sit in a room with three switches, in another room are 3 light bulbs. how can you tell which switch controls which light?

you only get one chance to leave your room, so you cant switch one, go check come back and switch another then see which that turns on...

Originally posted by jah

send em separately

thats like my saying 'only weigh the fools gold' right track, but not the answer its looking for.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by Smart

I dunno Beardo's but here's another:

you sit in a room with three switches, in another room are 3 light bulbs. how can you tell which switch controls which light?

you only get one chance to leave your room, so you cant switch one, go check come back and switch another then see which that turns on...

turn 2 on

go into the other room and unscrew one of the lightbulbs that is on

then go back into the lightswitch room and by flicking the switches you can figure out the rest...

the answer

to question 2

Put the valuable object into the box, secure it with one of your locks, and send the box to your friend. Your friend should then attach one of his own locks and return it. When you receive it again, remove your lock and send it back. Now your friend can unlock his own lock and retrieve the object.

Originally posted by Dusty Lipschitz

turn 2 on

go into the other room and unscrew one of the lightbulbs that is on

then go back into the lightswitch room and by flicking the switches you can figure out the rest... [/quote

no, dude, you CAN'T GO BACK, when you leave the switch room you are done in there

in my warped perception. i had placed the room with the lightbulbs down the hall which would allow one to leave the room with switches and return without entering the room with the lightbulbs more than once.

its a flawed question IMO

the question is not flawed, the rules are specific... imagine that the door to the switch room locks when you leave, you can walk back down the hall but you can't get in the room... stop trying to find fault in the question and search instead for the answer

thats where i was lost. i got the fact that you couldnt check the bulbs again, but not the switches. i was trying to solve the question. im giving up now.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

you only get one chance to leave your room...

when i used to get grounded as a kid and my mom said i could only leave my room for meals and the bathroom. she meant i could leave to do what i had to do, but that my return to my bedroom was understood.

maybe you had a nicer mom,

:)

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

please don't give up, it's FULLY solveable... but I think your second question was kind of a rip off because we were never told that our friend had locks of his own... the solution is valid though I guess...

i agree

beardo's secong riddle (in that reply, third overall) was shit. following his answer, a million other options would suddenly become possible.

Archived