Vice guide to New-York graffiti

Nic Thamaire

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by fr8lover

fun to read, tough to think about.

i found that one and the other irak article and the image of earsnot walking down the street puking blood and shooting heroin is really a negative thing to be posting about ANYBODY, not just "self-destructive graffiti writers." it really is a pretty sorry excuse for journalism that this guy basically hangs out and gets wasted with these kids over and over again and writes a story about it. i actually began to feel bad for the people featured in that article rather than envious of their "every night is new years" lifestyle. you can take it with you, i dont need it.

I would advise that you never watch any of Larry Clarks films.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by cheerleader

the only way i can understand what all your problems are is thinking maybe this is the whole urban vs. nonurban problem. first yall were hating on IRAK, then someone set you straight, expalining that they are ill.

tehn, the debate became, ok, maybe they ARE up, but their lifestyle suxx. now kids are saying "im indifferent to their lifestyle, but publicizing it is "using" graff culture, blahblahblah"

WHAT!?!

IRAK is up as fuck. like la,philly,sf, paris,berlin,etc... NYC is one of those cities where graff isnt about giving a SHIT about all you fuckin nerds in ohio. king = all city, not all mag or all internet. in real cities, theres a culture to graff that many of you do not understand. right now, nobodys really fuckin wit snoty sace fanta and posse (although my nyc heads will debate it, thats a seperate issue from all these clowns on here!!) they kill shit, like similiar crews in other big cities, and dont care about fr8s, weirdo piecing styles with circles and loops and design school garbage. they care about getting up and destroying.

part of that lifestyle, when you live in the city, from ages 12/13-30/? involves all kinds of crazy shit. that means anwhere from one to ALL of the following hobbies:

robbing people, getting robbed, stealing cars, racking food, racking paint, racking gear, racking tvs, racking CDs from house parties, drinking, smoking weed, snorting coke, banging heroin, eating any and all pills uppers and downers, smoking pcp/wet/sherm, racking bikes, messengering, being sXe(although very rare post 96/97 on east coast),banging chicks, fighting, being gay, pool hopping, tunnel ratting, roof climbing, turnstile hopping, clubbing,getting kicked out of clubs, hunting the newest unplayed-out clubs, ruining house parties, smoking crack, going to shows, fighting details magazine dudes, and writing GRAFF on everything.....

thats how every kid in most cities lives for a good portion of his/her youth. some do all this but no grafff. some do lots of graff and nothing else, but thats fucking rare. about 95% of any kid growing up in a city does anywhere from half to most of this shit on the regs. if you think its scandolous or out of hand, its proly because youre not from a city, or at least not a big one, and/or youre a fucking loser. sorry.

which take us to the issue at hand-- IRAK does deserve press, tehy kill shit. and yes, they live ill, but no iller than any one i know in la, paris, london, etc....the only difference may be a LITTLE iller but thats nyc, everything from rent to happy meal prices are a LITTLE iller in nyc. its fuckin new york. so if its not your lifestyle, fine, but shut the fuck up about it...no ones complaining that youre a fuckin square, let us city folk roll how we wanna. i hate to break it to yall new-age "pretty graff", painting in the woods in nebraska writers, but most of the graff that spawned your culture was DONE by thug ass city people who also robbed, stole, and painted a majority of their shit coked up/on pills/or dusted. most of THE illest graff you sweat is the product of a hard living lifestyle. the fact that theres healthy sububranite types painting MADD FR8ZZZ in idaho isnt justification for hating on a lifestyle that was around way before you downloaded your first fr8 thread on 12oz.

finally, for the argument that their lifestyle is ok (gee, thanks) but the article is exploitive....how? its an article by another wild ass new yorker about a wild posse posted on a NYC webzine. its for newyorkers, and/or people interested in tthat lifestyle. go look at the vice website. its NOT FUCKIN NEWSWEEK. no one is blowing all you fuckin bumblefucks "culture" up by writing an article about wild ass writers in ny.

if you dont like IRAK, fine, but shut up about it already. theyve already done more graff than 90% of you kids. and their lifestyle, shit, thats how most of us fuckin live. ESPO coined the whole lifestyle i think as "the art of getting over"....(or getting it in, in some cases). thats life in the city, if you dont feel it, dont come here. wed prolly rob your ass anyway...or at least go over your futuristic fr8crap graff.

SNOTY for PREZIDENT....

cheerleader that is the truth!

wells said

Irak got robbed by people from my area when they came to london!I dont think they gave a shit though

play with my balls

uh huh, I gotta say that second article author kind of herbed it up a bit (p.s. Smart is a big stupid dork) what with all the reporterly style. But what really caught my attention was the intellegence coming out of this Cheerleader, way to go girl and keep it up. ya I liked the gay guy's article better, but I can totally picture him, just sort of like fantasy camp with all the drugs and like, "oh me too," passing out on the couch. hey new yawkers...is IRAK still killing it, cuz I'd see them more like dead themselves at this stage.

i stopped reading after the first two paragraps, because this guy got his history sooo twisted.

1) sane did not fall from the bk bridge. the spot was made infamous by smith.

2)it's been hit more than three times.

3)kaws is a fucking legend? that list a is a little ridiculous.

god knows what else was botched later in the article.

Archived