Skateboarding Poll

Clever Name

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

penny is the best he has something about him that is impossible to look away from. he hasnt had ffotage out in a while and mj is definatly killling it now. tom hits up you can see him and muska checking the graff at a sk8park in euro, the video is "videoradio" check it tp is a writer for sure. speaking of skater art gonz does have some sick shit out there his mowax figures are selling for hundreds on ebay.

I HATE chad muska... sucha queer...

Koston is the best on the list ... he makes everything look to easy

the first time I tried handrails was after watching him nollie flip bs noseslide them... asshole made me sack myself

but as of right now I like Cory Shephard and a few chocolate skaters

Anyone who said Rodney Mullen couldn't be older than 12. :)

And - How could you "hate" anyone (the muska) - unless you know him he's really not cool, but I doubt that you know Chad Muska on a personal level - or maybe it's that he hasn't died his hair black and started wearing metal shirts like the rest of them.

I like all the skaters in the old Stereo video, and Tom Penny and John Cardiel, and Vanessa Torres.

I WAS WATCHING TONY HAWKS GIGANTIC SKATEPARK TOUR LASTNIGHT , AND THIS 12 YEAR OLD KID IN ONE OF THE CITIES THEY WENT TO ( SHAUN SOMETHING) WAS SOO FUCKING GOOD , IT WAS JUST RIDICULOUS THIS KIDS DOING THINGS THAT PPL TWICE HIS AGE COULDNT DO , THEN HAWK AND THEM TOOK HIM OUTTA SCHOOL AND LET HIM RIDE ACROSS THE REST OF THE COUNTRY WITH EM ...............i dont know why i just said all that .

i know it was the best out of the list, but:

Originally posted by I Luv Roo

Anyone who said Rodney Mullen couldn't be older than 12. :)

what? rodney mullen can school any of those guys in tech. he may not be able to jump down stairs or do handrails, but he can pretty much do anything else.

....and style only gets you so far. i suggest you get on morpheus and download the Globe video 'opinion'. i think it is some of rodney's most amazing stuff ever.

koston and penny sure can't do nose manual heelflip to darkslide...

Guest im not witty

thank you jilbert.

i am way older than 12, and i think rodney mullen is the man. he fuckin rules your punk ass im sure. that opinion video is sick, not only can you shitheads not do any of those tricks, but you didnt invent them either.

and danny gonzalez is my hero.

I have skated with GONZ...and yeah, he would take the title for no other reason than he is having more fun than anyone and skates vert padless and does eggplants.

Penny- just because he bailed from the "scene" and did his own thing with style and finesse years and years ahead of his time..and yes, he still skates...this kid kills..

GUY- Video Days part was and is one of the greatest parts I have seen. And he doesn't need to skate, will hop on a board and do a trick first try while you weren't even looking.

These people are greats for their lack of concern for coverage, their dis regard for the politics of the industry and the skating speaks for itself.

learn slappies while ya still can.

brooklyn banks.

Yeah Henry Sanchez is slept on.

I've watched each one of these guys skate in person, so i'll offer my own 10 minus 8 cents for each of them.

Johnson is sick. He's super creative when he skates -- always coming up with a combo or tech variation that wouldn't normally be thought of, then he does it on something ridiculous like a table top or a rail.

Koston is a fucking madman. His "goof off" tricks could burn my whole portfolio, plus he's more consistent than male masturbation. I'm convinced there's no trick he can't do perfectly.

Mariano is a G. His skating is completely unpredictable and in a world of it's own. He's always doing impossible tricks that don't seem to make sense, but he nails them.

Creager is the surprise guy. I watched him come down the big roll in at Tampa and do a switch-hardflip-late-back-foot flip, perfectly, over the pyramid first try ... ?!? His style is flawless and he can do runs so technical they reguire advanced philosophical thinking to really understand. (yeah I know daewon comes to mind, but there's just something about creager's effortlessness).

But Penny gets my vote. He controls flip-tricks like Ike did Tina. I once saw him do nollie-heelflip-back-tailslides down a handrail wearing a beanie that half-covered his eyes while dangling a cigarette from his hand. He does things that no one else can do, at all, and will skate switch or regular almost interchangeably. It's a shame he's distanced himself from the public, but at the same time I admire his attitude.

Gonz, Mullen, etc. are all in a best of all time category, not best of last decade.

i saw shawn white at a trade show a while back, the kid flies on a vert ramp but on street he fucking pushes mongo and cant olllie without doing a melon grab. rodney is dope no doubt gonz will always be and so will penny. old schoolers like to bring up slappies cuz its a trick often overlooked by people starting up, makes em feel cool for being to do something better kids havent bothered to learn. not trying to dis but its true. henry is making a comeback though like his part in sight unseen.

Originally posted by Clever Name

But Penny gets my vote. He controls flip-tricks like Ike did Tina. I once saw him do nollie-heelflip-back-tailslides down a handrail wearing a beanie that half-covered his eyes while dangling a cigarette from his hand. He does things that no one else can do, at all, and will skate switch or regular almost interchangeably. It's a shame he's distanced himself from the public, but at the same time I admire his attitude.

i have also had the pleasure of seeing all these fellas skate in person and would come to the same conclusions as you, but your summary of tom penny.....you seriously took the words out of my mouth.

there was some random tour in melbourne about 2 years back, and penny came along for the ride. it was his first public appearance in about 3 or 4 years.

he skated the whole demo with a fisherman hat on and his hair in his eyes, and was throwing down hammers one after the other. it was funny how seriously good he was, while still managing looking like he couldn't give a fuck about it.

i wish id have seen penny skate, i can only imagine his raw talent. the closest ive ever seen of talent like that is my friend sean payne, hes only am for think but i swear hes better than any pro or am, that i ve ever seen skate in person . he does amzing tricks that are on a totally different level of skating. if you seen him skating around youlll know what i mean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Originally posted by Kes_One_HTFD

koston, but id have to say that ZERED BASSET aka DR.Z is one of the best out now.. and brian brown aka turtle, dudes control shit.. hands down.

i used to skate with brian brown, when he was still in braces...

that was a long time ago.

but imo, i dont really dig the "kids" that skate.

they have no style yet...

they just know how to do a lot of tricks.

remember, gino, creager, koston, penny and a lot of other older cats were about style.

yea, tru that, kids now are skatin for 3 months and doin nollie heelflip crooked grinds switch down 12 stairs...with a robotic type of look to it, like they were programmed... but yea, that little kid that skates for 5boro now is sick tho, i went to the video premier weeks back, shits sick...

Originally posted by cleansheets

learn slappies while ya still can.

brooklyn banks.

fuck yeah ...i grew up skating the banks with quim and mike cardona...i remember slappy sessions in the shut days with bruno and ducky...ducky was sick...

huf is one of the sickest...so was keenan...even from way back those doods were rippin shit..huf was doin kickflip manual kickflip out on the long ass WTC ledges like 12 years ago, during the shackle me not days..

guy would prolly be one of my favorites on that list...for his part in video days and mouse...koston's dumb good too..

so many heads have contributed towards street skating in the last 10 years though that that poll is incomplete.. ricky oyola, matt reason, serge, fred gall were killin it in the early 90's and helped get skateboarding outta the small wheels/big pants/2mph pressure flip era...fred's still killin it too...kalis got sick tre flips...stevie williams got crazy pop...kevin taylor got the sick style....

but i guess i'm sorta biased towards my friends because that's who i see most..

that cat rodrigo tx has some sick shit in the new firm video...i really don't think there's a "best" tho...

Archived