some signs

Clay-Burner

regarding the signs:

in general, a non writer will not go out of his way to read a tag or a bomb. to him or her, its just visual noise. however, nonwriters do read signs for a reason: not reading them can cost money. ex: "bus stop" "no parking" "toll ahead" "speed limit" while a sticker or tag is free not to read. so when they see a little red sign with a a little white car, they may take note. "can i park here?" "am i a 'histo'?" beautiful signs, hope to see them up soon.

fingersinnose

ineptwhatsthebottomlineoner

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by rotgutparty:

point-you can't tell me that a sign will get as much attention as a huge bomb on some roll down gate. especially in new york city. you have to do hundreds of them to make even a little impact. boston is totally different and much more assesible to the medium. signs are like more elaborate stickers. they are made at home, where you can take as much time as you want on them and then they are brought into the public sphere. you have to able to distance yourself from the object and not become sentimental about them because they will get destroyed. its a real loser medium, but i can't stop. tell histo to call me.

grim-post some photos or at least tell me where some signs are i can go see.

rotgutparty.. .not sure who you are but. . . .

i think that to teh graffiti communnity a huge bomb will make a bigger difference but to a civilian the sign is much more accessible. . .the bomb would be ignored as visual noise of the city. . . .

Originally posted by ASK:

regarding the signs:

in general, a non writer will not go out of his way to read a tag or a bomb. to him or her, its just visual noise. however, nonwriters do read signs for a reason: not reading them can cost money. ex: "bus stop" "no parking" "toll ahead" "speed limit" while a sticker or tag is free not to read. so when they see a little red sign with a a little white car, they may take note. "can i park here?" "am i a 'histo'?" beautiful signs, hope to see them up soon.

fingersinnose

ineptwhatsthebottomlineoner

yeah thats what i'm saying

pointo

signs are not a bitten things shit... sonik did them around here before most people but does that mean he invented the sign no, shit someone put up the first sticker in boston you all are biters oh yeah you stepped on mass ave you are a fucking biter.

i kind of wanna die.

Originally posted by boxcarwilly:

signs are not a bitten things shit... sonik did them around here before most people but does that mean he invented the sign no, shit someone put up the first sticker in boston you all are biters oh yeah you stepped on mass ave you are a fucking biter.

i kind of wanna die.

naw anyone who uses spraypaint is a biter fo'real yo no jokes on dead dawgs dood

pointo

Wow, you guys are talking about me... I must be doing something right.

For the record, I started installing my signs in May of 1996. I did a hundred of them then, and last summer I did a hundred plus a lot. I'm not the first person to do signs, I remember showing Revs some flicks of them a few years ago and he said he had done a lot as well, in the 1994ish time frame. I didn't know he had done them when I started. As Revs put it in his Bk accent "Eey, great minds think alike!" I've seen Swatch signs too, he may well have done them before I started as well, but, I hadn't seen those either.

The sign beast is out in the streets and kids have caught on to it being a good idea. I don't think people who do them are biting me. Go ahead for all I care. There will be someone who in the future does more signs than me (that will take a while, I've got a lot) and there are already people who do nicer ones than me, Histo in particular. Just do 'em, get 'em done, and do some more.

Sonik

Originally posted by Sonik3000:

Wow, you guys are talking about me... I must be doing something right.

For the record, I started installing my signs in May of 1996. I did a hundred of them then, and last summer I did a hundred plus a lot. I'm not the first person to do signs, I remember showing Revs some flicks of them a few years ago and he said he had done a lot as well, in the 1994ish time frame. I didn't know he had done them when I started. As Revs put it in his Bk accent "Eey, great minds think alike!" I've seen Swatch signs too, he may well have done them before I started as well, but, I hadn't seen those either.

The sign beast is out in the streets and kids have caught on to it being a good idea. I don't think people who do them are biting me. Go ahead for all I care. There will be someone who in the future does more signs than me (that will take a while, I've got a lot) and there are already people who do nicer ones than me, Histo in particular. Just do 'em, get 'em done, and do some more.

Sonik

i love sonik. . . thanks for the BBQ.. . .mmmm food. . .

Originally posted by boxcarwilly:

yeah thanks for people inviting me argh i heard about it and sat on my ass oh wait i weas in nyc i wish i was home tho.

YOu should have been there you sucka fool. . .

bare told me were you been chillin. . .i'll come by some time soon. . peace

point

you KNOW who i am. don't get me wrong, i love signs as a medium but i am conscious of the downside of them. growing up in prov. all i knew of signs were sonik and he was and is the one i looked up to, not in content but form. i met sonik briefly one time and anyone questioning his importance to the evolution of signs needs to get his head examined.

Originally posted by rotgutparty:

point

you KNOW who i am. don't get me wrong, i love signs as a medium but i am conscious of the downside of them. growing up in prov. all i knew of signs were sonik and he was and is the one i looked up to, not in content but form. i met sonik briefly one time and anyone questioning his importance to the evolution of signs needs to get his head examined.

sorry dude i'm a little slow. . .

but i do think that the average joe will notice and accept a sign over a bomb on a grate. . . heard about your show good luck. . . i should be at your school a couple times during the year. . .we should meet up. . . .

love point. . .

Archived