Critical Mass: Death of the Freight Scene

Cracked Ass

most paper lay ups here are dry too, as well as back home where i am from. it seems to deal with the economy....maybe bush or something.. but the thing someone said about coals,,,is true... i have seen a whole lotta coal cars, people are gonna have to resort to hitting local lines that will always roll, like local cement lines and stuff like that... yeah sucks but maybe it will get a lot better!

• 1 month later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its strange. I see freights roll around here all the time. Im not sure why but there is very little worth mentioning on them other than "Master tagger oner" or "I love suzy". I dont know what this is all about because this is a huge industrial area as well as a sea port. I just dont see pieces rolling through on the regular like i used to in the midwest.

And to reitterate.. pick up your cans. I dont know if its been said before but if there are no cans on the ground its not possible for them to trace where the damage took place.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by TURBO DOG@Nov 11 2004, 02:11 AM

but the thing someone said about coals,,,is true... i have seen a whole lotta coal cars

like most off us say, "fuck the coal cars". A few writers that I know who are up have started hitting them on a regular now. One writer down in VA says he sees tags on them from all over the place. I can't say for everybody, But my coal yards are easy as hell to paint in, daytimes. It could be the next route to take , another thing I notice is they dont really break up the lines to much, Imagin a line of 45 coalies with 90 pieces back to back cruzing down the track..

but the thing someone said about coals,,,is true... i have seen a whole lotta coal cars

like most off us say, "fuck the coal cars". A few writers that I know who are up have started hitting them on a regular now. One writer down in VA says he sees tags on them from all over the place. I can't say for everybody, But my coal yards are easy as hell to paint in, daytimes. It could be the next route to take , another thing I notice is they dont really break up the lines to much, Imagin a line of 45 coalies with 90 pieces back to back cruzing down the track..

[/quot

^^^

HAHAHA...ROBJ, Imagine you actually putting in work anywhere else except a fucking trai n yard in the fucking woods you fake ass writer.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with Crack's first statement, when he was talking about how alot of heads want it to be a whole lot harder to do pieces, cause then that would leave what one supposes the best out there, those that are real committed. But come on, how is the scene really gonna thrive and where are the new heads gonna come from? People are not really looking to get records, being hassled all the time, and having to waste time racking, practicing, et. when they might only pull off a small piece.

It sucks man, the freight scene back in the day was so great, now its died and there's nothing we can do to revive it. It becomes very annoying when not only do you have to rush pieces and run from cops, but then it gets erased in such a short time. Thats why u have alot of cats that only wanna do stuff in legal yards.

New York is becoming a drag, seems like the whole city dosen't understand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by outcastedrebel@Mar 10 2005, 03:59 PM

I agree with Crack's first statement, when he was talking about how alot of heads want it to be a whole lot harder to do pieces, cause then that would leave what one supposes the best out there, those that are real committed. But come on, how is the scene really gonna thrive and where are the new heads gonna come from? People are not really looking to get records, being hassled all the time, and having to waste time racking, practicing, et. when they might only pull off a small piece.

It sucks man, the freight scene back in the day was so great, now its died and there's nothing we can do to revive it. It becomes very annoying when not only do you have to rush pieces and run from cops, but then it gets erased in such a short time. Thats why u have alot of cats that only wanna do stuff in legal yards.

New York is becoming a drag, seems like the whole city dosen't understand.

what the fuck are you talking about ?? legal yards?? small pieces? that shit sounds dumb as hell.. you don't know shit.. aint' nothin died.. freights get killed, more now than back in the day, that shit you read about or saw on GTV freight issue, go live it.. only reason i rush to do pieces is cus im tryin to do as many as possible, or i think its gonna roll out.. stop clowin yourself... and alot of writers nowadays have jobs and can afford to buy thier own paint... and if see toys in my yards leaving cans they get dissed and ran out.. hahahaha..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He means, he keeps track of the numbers of the cars he hits. If he sees one of those cars come back again, he can tell if somebody went over him, even if they wiped out every bit of his piece, because he can identify the car by its number. Then he can go back over them, knowing he was there first. I've been doing this for years, and three times I've reclaimed panels where people went over me.

• 2 weeks later...

someone mentioned not rocking un hit boxes,you cant be serious, i think this is completely ridicuclous. the cleaner the better fuck, just dont kill the digets

i been chased out of a yard by a worker on an atv. but that was when i was younger and ignorant trying to paint one of the main yards in my town, now i got a chill little layup where i can post all day and theres nice foliage on the edges to hide in when other lines pass, its funny tho theres not any toy graff on the walls to blow the spot its people who are actually good doing it, kind of retarded.

• 1 month later...

After September 11th, I was expecting a real security crackdown, but not much happened. Freights stayed the same as did commuters. Subways got some new security, but were still doable without too much trouble. Just in 2005 though, a lot of shit has went down in my area with both freights and the commuter/subway system. They are starting to get serious about securing the yards. They still have a long way to go to shut things down, but for the first time, I think I can see the end game. I guess if you live in some rural area or something, freights will stay chill indefinately.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrorist targets sit in state's rail yards

Chemical-laden cars vulnerable to attack

Monday, July 25, 2005

BY RON MARSICO AND ALEXANDER LANE

Star-Ledger Staff

Rail tanker cars are the silent heroes of New Jersey's vigorous chemical industry.

These black steel cylinders deliver the fuel, ammonia, chlorine and other ingredients used to create products in plants from the banks of the Delaware River to the shoulders of the New Jersey Turnpike.

But lawmakers and security experts are becoming increasingly worried that they provide something else -- a profound, ever-present threat to the people who live in and around New Jersey.

A ruptured tanker could create a cloud of toxic gas lethal enough to liquefy the lungs of people up to 25 miles away, according to government filings.

Those records also show that six of the 10 worst conceivable accidents at New Jersey chemical plants involve 90-ton rail tankers of chlorine exploding at their facilities. To get to the plants, the tanker cars traverse a spider web of largely unguarded rail lines that weave through the state's densely packed residential areas.

On any given day, they can be seen sitting for miles beside the Turnpike, a stone's throw from passing motorists.

Politicians, activists and security experts are focusing more intently on the threat posed by these tanker s and trying to determine if there is a way to prevent a determined terrorist from turning one into a weapon of mass destruction.

Current regulations do little to prevent that, many critics say.

"Anybody driving by with a shoulder-fired missile can take off on a chlorine (car)," said Sen. Jon Corzine (D-N.J.), who is pushing for stricter regulations. "It makes no sense."

Sen. Joseph Biden Jr., (D-Del.), has introduced a chemical-transport bill that would force companies to reroute dangerous rail tanker cars away from places terrorists are likely to target. It also requires the federal government to research how cars can be made less vulnerable. The measure has stalled in Congress.

A tour up and down one of New Jersey's "chemical alleys" -- the industrial area that roughly stretches from the Bayway Refinery in Linden up through the northern sections of Port Newark -- reveals a stark vulnerability.

A Star-Ledger reporter and photographer last week found easy access points to tanker cars. At one end of Bayway Avenue in Elizabeth, for example, the only security at an open fence leading directly to tankers was a few "No Trespassing" signs. Trembly Point Road in Carteret crossed the Turnpike and freight tracks, providing a clear line of sight to nearby trains below on the tracks. In many places, little more than a guardrail, trees and brush are deterrents.

Hazmat signs and universal chemical-identification numbers on the sides of the tanker cars -- designed to tip off first-responders to chemical threats in case of a fire or other emergency -- also provide a handy guide to the contents of the cars.

Union County Sheriff Ralph Froelich said he occasionally sees graffiti marring the rail tanker cars. Those scrawlings evoke fears far more troubling than a vandal's can of spray paint, he said.

"The Turnpike is so easy to ride and stop. Some type of projectile is not out of reach," Froelich said. "Hell, I could throw a rock and hit some of the rail cars."

Rick Hind, a toxics expert for Greenpeace, said one frightening scenario could involve a terrorist climbing onto a car and detonating a homemade explosive.

"Something like that is going off in Iraq every day," he said.

"Our recommendation would be that they explore -- and this is in Biden's rail safety bill -- other kinds of shipping methods," Hind said. "We just accept that a 90-ton rail car should be rolling through people's communities."

Rail industry representatives contend the alternatives are limited.

Conrail says rerouting rail cars is not possible and there is nowhere else to park them. A security plan is in place, according to the company, which declines to offer specifics.

"Our track infrastructure is really pretty utilized -- be it for storage or moving freight," said John Enright, a Conrail spokesman. "The obvious question is, where would you put (the cars)?"

Conrail has fenced in certain spots and uses railroad police with Norfolk Southern and CSX Transportation Inc. to help protect and patrol the freight lines, Enright said.

"Of course, we don't fence our whole network," he said. "That wouldn't be cost-effective."

Initially driven by the 9/11 attacks, concerns over freight and passenger rail security have intensified nationally after the London Underground bombings that killed more than 50 people this month. In a chillingly related scenario July 16 in Iraq, a suicide bomber detonated explosives that blew up a gas tanker truck, killing more than 90 people.

Corzine said he is particularly worried about the rail tanker cars containing chlorine that serve a major bleach manufacturing plant in South Kearny near the Pulaski Skyway. He wants Conrail, which owns the tracks along the Turnpike, to "stop parking them next to the Turnpike and on overpasses. That, to me, is unacceptable."

Corzine, who has introduced legislation to improve both rail and chemical plant security, said he does not favor rerouting because it might hurt New Jersey communities that derive tax revenues from industries along the Turnpike.

The federal government already has begun taking some steps.

U.S. Transportation Security Administration officials created a $10 million pilot program along a seven-mile rail corridor through Washington to assess ways to lessen risks of a terrorist attack.

TSA officialsalso are working with railroads and local representatives to improve fencing and install video monitors and intrusion detectors while increasing security patrols. The agency, however, does not favor a blanket prohibition on rail tanker cars in highly populated areas.

"We always have rerouting as a tactical measure we can use when appropriate ... when we're aware of a threat or a potential threat," TSA spokesman Mark Hatfield said. But, he added, the agency is responsible for "taking into consideration the needs of commerce and the free movement of goods and people."

• 2 months later...

a friend of mine and i were discussing..

the peak seems to have come

and gone.

some of freight's heaviest hitters have either retired, or been retired

(no, not ALL of them, but a lot)

and a lot more have slowed way the fuck down.

there do not seem to be any new generation writers who are smashing shit in the way that say for example, jase or mber did

i think the "fad" part is over.

graffiti is back to being dirty

grungy and generally a pain in the ass to most people

and thanks for that.

and yeah, though there have been some security crackdowns for sure

and some tightening of security

shit is not impossible.

i have noticed that as well, for the past three years I haven't been able to watch trains like I was able to beforehand. Now, that I live within walking distance of the yard that I used to watch daily I haven't seen much of anything. Even people who I used to see up on every other car 3 years ago are now a rarity.

In a way it is a mixed blessing, my local yard and layups have been quiet for at least four years, and now that I have a little more patience and wisdom I wont spend most of my night running from cops, and yard workers.

I would like to say the same thing, but I cant. Here in my town, kids are starting to decide they want to do graffiti, and are starting to be stupid about it. We were near a yard the other day, and there were two kids standing on a dead line painting boxcars in the broad daylight, with workers at the other end, left their cans on the ground, and left. Stupid, tremendously stupid.

The other kids are just stamping over numbers like they arent there, it dosent take but 10 seconds to tape them or some can control to dodge them, its not a big deal, not hard. More kids need to realize that people arent gonna get pissed as easily if you arent being a moron.

But nice literature and thoughts cracked ass.

• 1 month later...

in my city the scene has gone to shits in 2002 2003 or so the scene was dope you could chill in the biggest yard and have partys there and just paint for days and rail workers were none the wiser but after a vigurous and long war against graffiti after graffiti "REALLY HIT" my city and exploded into the "scene" there were hundreds of thouusands of dollars invested in irradicating graffiti and late last year some dumb fucks started stealing railroad company equipment like fucking horns the yards have gone to shits...little spots are now the norm and theyre plentiful but you can also stumble into a setup or "sting" but the graff scene in my town is young...and hopefully here to stay

sear-four ;)

i know what you meen about walking into stings, i used to hit the yard alot, maybe too much, and once, i was chased with out getting up, so the next night they left a nice clean boxcar, amongst alot of other rusty and painted cars, hoping id come back, anyway, i decided not to paint that night, and 4 freinds did instead, they where just getting the fills in when about 7 bulls jumped put of an open wagon either side.

Somehow they all managed to split and confuse the bulls, and managed to get away. But i hear this shit is happenin alot now.

yep

just like in the old days of graf

police and bulls are getting wise

i don't much care if the dumb kids do their dumb shit

these days i figure it'll get em busted eventually.

the yards around here were blown years ago, so it would just be more of the same

i still think the scene has reached it's peak

haha seeing what has happened to f and tboxes in the past year might be a good argument against me though.

Originally posted by symbols@Dec 2 2005, 10:53 AM

yep

just like in the old days of graf

police and bulls are getting wise

i don't much care if the dumb kids do their dumb shit

these days i figure it'll get em busted eventually.

the yards around here were blown years ago, so it would just be more of the same

i still think the scene has reached it's peak

haha seeing what has happened to f and tboxes in the past year might be a good argument against me though.

yeah ive been to the yardf trying to outsmart the bulls but they wait till you finish up then they fuck you i cant tell you how many times that yard has got raided or i have had to hide under a freight...TOO MANY.....but my towns weird they have a gang unit for graff too...but that yards ling dead rip sparks yard....i knew you well....im from reno nev. if you needed to know for some rreasion

but as for daylight painting ive done that so many times i painted a "dead" line or temporaary line i cant count how many times but cops rolled by cuz it faces some factories and you can see it from the street like 100 yardds away but they dont mess with you i clean my mess dont paint numbers and grace their trains with a little art....

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by worldoflies@Jul 25 2005, 03:15 PM

After September 11th, I was expecting a real security crackdown, but not much happened.  Freights stayed the same as did commuters.  Subways got some new security, but were still doable without too much trouble.  Just in 2005 though, a lot of shit has went down in my area with both freights and the commuter/subway system.  They are starting to get serious about securing the yards.  They still have a long way to go to shut things down, but for the first time, I think I can see the end game.  I guess if you live in some rural area or something, freights will stay chill indefinately.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrorist targets sit in state's rail yards

Chemical-laden cars vulnerable to attack

Monday, July 25, 2005

BY RON MARSICO AND ALEXANDER LANE

Star-Ledger Staff

Rail tanker cars are the silent heroes of New Jersey's vigorous chemical industry.

These black steel cylinders deliver the fuel, ammonia, chlorine and other ingredients used to create products in plants from the banks of the Delaware River to the shoulders of the New Jersey Turnpike.

But lawmakers and security experts are becoming increasingly worried that they provide something else -- a profound, ever-present threat to the people who live in and around New Jersey.

A ruptured tanker could create a cloud of toxic gas lethal enough to liquefy the lungs of people up to 25 miles away, according to government filings.

Those records also show that six of the 10 worst conceivable accidents at New Jersey chemical plants involve 90-ton rail tankers of chlorine exploding at their facilities. To get to the plants, the tanker cars traverse a spider web of largely unguarded rail lines that weave through the state's densely packed residential areas.

On any given day, they can be seen sitting for miles beside the Turnpike, a stone's throw from passing motorists.

Politicians, activists and security experts are focusing more intently on the threat posed by these tanker s and trying to determine if there is a way to prevent a determined terrorist from turning one into a weapon of mass destruction.

Current regulations do little to prevent that, many critics say.

"Anybody driving by with a shoulder-fired missile can take off on a chlorine (car)," said Sen. Jon Corzine (D-N.J.), who is pushing for stricter regulations. "It makes no sense."

Sen. Joseph Biden Jr., (D-Del.), has introduced a chemical-transport bill that would force companies to reroute dangerous rail tanker cars away from places terrorists are likely to target. It also requires the federal government to research how cars can be made less vulnerable. The measure has stalled in Congress.

A tour up and down one of New Jersey's "chemical alleys" -- the industrial area that roughly stretches from the Bayway Refinery in Linden up through the northern sections of Port Newark -- reveals a stark vulnerability.

A Star-Ledger reporter and photographer last week found easy access points to tanker cars. At one end of Bayway Avenue in Elizabeth, for example, the only security at an open fence leading directly to tankers was a few "No Trespassing" signs. Trembly Point Road in Carteret crossed the Turnpike and freight tracks, providing a clear line of sight to nearby trains below on the tracks. In many places, little more than a guardrail, trees and brush are deterrents.

Hazmat signs and universal chemical-identification numbers on the sides of the tanker cars -- designed to tip off first-responders to chemical threats in case of a fire or other emergency -- also provide a handy guide to the contents of the cars.

Union County Sheriff Ralph Froelich said he occasionally sees graffiti marring the rail tanker cars. Those scrawlings evoke fears far more troubling than a vandal's can of spray paint, he said.

"The Turnpike is so easy to ride and stop. Some type of projectile is not out of reach," Froelich said. "Hell, I could throw a rock and hit some of the rail cars."

Rick Hind, a toxics expert for Greenpeace, said one frightening scenario could involve a terrorist climbing onto a car and detonating a homemade explosive.

"Something like that is going off in Iraq every day," he said.

"Our recommendation would be that they explore -- and this is in Biden's rail safety bill -- other kinds of shipping methods," Hind said. "We just accept that a 90-ton rail car should be rolling through people's communities."

Rail industry representatives contend the alternatives are limited.

Conrail says rerouting rail cars is not possible and there is nowhere else to park them. A security plan is in place, according to the company, which declines to offer specifics.

"Our track infrastructure is really pretty utilized -- be it for storage or moving freight," said John Enright, a Conrail spokesman. "The obvious question is, where would you put (the cars)?"

Conrail has fenced in certain spots and uses railroad police with Norfolk Southern and CSX Transportation Inc. to help protect and patrol the freight lines, Enright said.

"Of course, we don't fence our whole network," he said. "That wouldn't be cost-effective."

Initially driven by the 9/11 attacks, concerns over freight and passenger rail security have intensified nationally after the London Underground bombings that killed more than 50 people this month. In a chillingly related scenario July 16 in Iraq, a suicide bomber detonated explosives that blew up a gas tanker truck, killing more than 90 people.

Corzine said he is particularly worried about the rail tanker cars containing chlorine that serve a major bleach manufacturing plant in South Kearny near the Pulaski Skyway. He wants Conrail, which owns the tracks along the Turnpike, to "stop parking them next to the Turnpike and on overpasses. That, to me, is unacceptable."

Corzine, who has introduced legislation to improve both rail and chemical plant security, said he does not favor rerouting because it might hurt New Jersey communities that derive tax revenues from industries along the Turnpike.

The federal government already has begun taking some steps.

U.S. Transportation Security Administration officials created a $10 million pilot program along a seven-mile rail corridor through Washington to assess ways to lessen risks of a terrorist attack.

TSA officialsalso are working with railroads and local representatives to improve fencing and install video monitors and intrusion detectors while increasing security patrols. The agency, however, does not favor a blanket prohibition on rail tanker cars in highly populated areas.

"We always have rerouting as a tactical measure we can use when appropriate ... when we're aware of a threat or a potential threat," TSA spokesman Mark Hatfield said. But, he added, the agency is responsible for "taking into consideration the needs of commerce and the free movement of goods and people."

is it just me, or does anyone else feel divided on this?

on one hand, more security is never something to be stoked on.

but i mean, in the bigger picture, i kind of see it as necesarry. The points that are raised are all very valid. Think if some of 12oz's big railheads decided they were going to be terrorists. It would be as easy as pie for them to access a tanker at a crucial location and blow it up. All personal interests aside, i can't say i'm totally against some of the measures to curb terrorism.

maybe i'm just paranoid.

• 1 month later...

Archived