Critical Mass: Death of the Freight Scene

Cracked Ass

Originally posted by Main Line

You freight philosophers sure can talk a lot of shit. You need to shut your cum dumpsters and paint!

Some of us are multitalented, and can paint trains AND talk on the internet IN THE SAME DAY! Pretty ambidextrous, huh? You could do it too if you had just a couple of IQ points!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great thread, it should be saved. I hope fr8 writers who are here to preserve fr8s and the railroad earth, can become more united and speak out more, even against well known and talented writers who continue to slaughter numbers out of laziness or so they can have nice flix to send to their homies at mags, this behavoir just as much as any toys is lending a helping hand to the death of the fr8 scene. I'd love to see the day when people refuse to put pieces in mags or videos because they destroyed numbers,limits,boxes whatever. I think for the first time Modern graffiti is battling a dilema, that maybe something is more important than fame!!

Guest krowteN

sorry but i think the rr would still hate graffiti on trains if people painted around reporting marks. furthermore it will be a lot more difficult for graffiti to be eradicated than one may thing. no matter how much you 'experienced writers' want to bicker with the 'toys', they wont be the ones to cause the rr to alot millions to repaints, security and programs to maintain graffiti free freight cars.

what i cant understand is why(some) older writers cant tell kids whats up they would rather try and stab or beat kids in their yards.instaead kids who know less than me i give up my information up (not of yards unless asked in specifics),but there arent enough yards for every writer to have their own so.the only engines hit up here that i see are done by some well known freight kids,not to name names but its not just the new school.there are newbies trying to get a foot in the door with as least resistance as possible but and i never leave cans or go over car's doors that are loaded.

• 2 weeks later...

perservation painting the north american rail systems

follow much of the advise that was given in this thread. use common sence when following advice (everyone is a student, there is no supreme teacher{i am a "toy" trust me}) but here are some things that i believe.

try not to advertise.

Tell websites to remove your trains from thier site. if this is a problem for them relay the information in this thread and they should abide (for they like trains too).

Don't use photos of painted trains as part of your portfolio. expossing the secrets of mystery and magic is the magicians biggest sin.

Dont be lazy. I know that i've done alot of stupid things. i still am doing some that i may not be aware of. when i am aware i will take action. which leads me to my final point.

share your knowledge.

heres my two cents:

im not nearly as big into freights as i wish i could be. in queens there are a few yards, but on LI there isnt any yards. not a single one. the BEST you can hope for is a layup, and only after skipping countless days of classes that i really shouldnt be skipping ive come up with a handful of layups most of which are in spots that arent exactly chill but for lack of other spots i paint them when the environment permits. not to sound stupid, but this is where 12oz has been really helpful to me. since there is a lack of freights out here and educated freight writers are even fewer than the cars themselves, i wouldve never known shit like not going over numbers and shit like that. i really dont consider myself a "freight head" but more or less someone who wants to learn because i think the whole way trains run and shit is kind of impressive, also i really cant afford to get busted again, im not at the age where i can fuck around with being an idiot. doing the shit i do i am fully aware that theres risk but with threads like this, if people listen, you might be able to reduce your risk at least some. i value the few spots i have and just with that all the young kids with the "fuck everything" attitude wouldnt fuck things up for me, but thats wishful thinking.

as far as being an "artist" (ill try not to harp on this or anything...) but i dont consider myself an artist. i try hard to do something original i guess, but i am not nearly as skilled as people like, for instance, nace, vizie, elk. my reason for doing this shit is because if i dont i might actually kill myself, its hard to explain but i went through this whole thing and i started painting and feeling better, i dont want to go into a whole long winded thing but my reasons have to do with the anonymity (sic?) of the medium, and that people HAVE to engage it and wonder about it and maybe even hate it. but yeah. i cant think of a witty ending to this so bye. good post by kabaar and cracked and everyone else contributing.

Dude, face it...death is depressing.

Getting chased out of yards with knives was part of doing graffiti when I was comming up...it's just a way to "weed out the wack". If your heart is into it, you'll figure out how to get over. Then when you and select few are still painting 8 years down, and some 14 year old kids are fucking shit up now matter how much you shead grace upon them you'll start thinking of alternative ways to get to them...

Guest krowteN
Originally posted by Tyler Durden

heres my two cents:

im not nearly as big into freights as i wish i could be. in queens there are a few yards, but on LI there isnt any yards. not a single one. the BEST you can hope for is a layup, and only after skipping countless days of classes that i really shouldnt be skipping ive come up with a handful of layups most of which are in spots that arent exactly chill but for lack of other spots i paint them when the environment permits. not to sound stupid, but this is where 12oz has been really helpful to me. since there is a lack of freights out here and educated freight writers are even fewer than the cars themselves, i wouldve never known shit like not going over numbers and shit like that. i really dont consider myself a "freight head" but more or less someone who wants to learn because i think the whole way trains run and shit is kind of impressive, also i really cant afford to get busted again, im not at the age where i can fuck around with being an idiot. doing the shit i do i am fully aware that theres risk but with threads like this, if people listen, you might be able to reduce your risk at least some. i value the few spots i have and just with that all the young kids with the "fuck everything" attitude wouldnt fuck things up for me, but thats wishful thinking.

as far as being an "artist" (ill try not to harp on this or anything...) but i dont consider myself an artist. i try hard to do something original i guess, but i am not nearly as skilled as people like, for instance, nace, vizie, elk. my reason for doing this shit is because if i dont i might actually kill myself, its hard to explain but i went through this whole thing and i started painting and feeling better, i dont want to go into a whole long winded thing but my reasons have to do with the anonymity (sic?) of the medium, and that people HAVE to engage it and wonder about it and maybe even hate it. but yeah. i cant think of a witty ending to this so bye. good post by kabaar and cracked and everyone else contributing.

im touched,....no seriously...!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_b0b

If freights do become too hot to paint, can anyone see passenger trains being painted in large numbers to make up for it?

Guest 768186

i think the reason people turned to frieghts was because passenger trains werent happening much anymore...so i dont know about going back to passenger trains..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rolldafukout

it's hard to say whats in the future, ive seen layups in my time that you cant see from roads or buisness, the engine comes, connects, and leaves, no workers even walk the line, now you want to talk about freight train yards thats a different story. in 1998(i live in a nice sized city by the way) our city's main news station did a story on, yup, you guessed it "graffiti art on freight trains" and yes!! the story was based out of our main painting yard, they interviewd the head rail cop and even showed a fr8 with "unfinished" pieces because that same rail cop had chased those kids out the night before"he stated". even though those kids went back that night and finished the train and the yard was dead chill as fuck, it just makes you wonder "FR8 TRAIN GRAFF ON THE NEWS..IN MY YARD THAT IM STILL PAINTING TO THIS DAY AND KEEP GETTING CHASED OUT SINCE 96 AND NOTHING HAS REALLY CHANGED" people understand this..if you bomb the fuck out of the city you paint most of your fr8s in, it WILL bring heat on the yard, vandel squads DID bust my homey and show him flicks of a shit load of fr8s that THEY took in the yard(s), I have seen COPS IN YARDS looking at fr8s that WHERE done there and they know..but for some reason it seems like the less bombing that is done in my city, the less heat there is on the yards, cops will talk to railcops and they WILL RAID YOUR BITCH ASS! no offense to people, just be carefull, im drunk, peace...

you guys are stuck in a negative state of mind.you worry too much.i keep painting no matter what,but after reading all this crap it makes me unmotivated for the wrong reasons."the death of..."is a really harsh title anyway.it might get harder but at least there won't be as many so called freight kings that are in actuallitiy pussies.i paint chill spots, if it'll get hotter i'll deal with it.

Dangum' kidts' deez' dayse'!

Originally posted by Average White Railfan

the silver lining: 90% of the kids painting freights now wont be in 10 years...or even next year for that matter.

Aent' dat' fer' sher'! Dems' medlin' kids dees' days is frentin' en' ackin' oll' tuff n' stuff like deys' herd' er' sumpin'. Deys' gwon' go n' kill all deys' chothers' uh' beef' talkin' eech' udters' ta' deofths'. Speshly' dem' damn yanks'. Warnt' dey' a band in de' aideys'? Dern' sheety' won' two'! Nah' I sae', if dey's sheety' n' d' aideys', dey's dunn' been' sheety'…uhhh… in de' aideys' and da' nineys' and da' towsands' tu.

tru' dat'- yurdme'

-whidstidpatse.:

wartch out you yankee pig dogs.

dangum souths gwon rise again.

but … only in the graffiti context.

here's my 2 cents:

one thing those of us that care can hope for is that the growth of the scene will also include the spread of this exact kind of knowledge. when i personally, and i dare say most everyone, first got into trains, i had no idea about all the rules about numbers and what not. in fact, when many of us first got in, almost nobody respected that kind of thing. now however, having grown up a bit, i know more about trains, have kinda fallen for them, and my level of respect has grown considerably.

hopefully, all the newer kids who are flooding the scene now that it's better established will grow up on these rules and this knowledge and it won't take them 5 years to learn. now i know that's pretty optimistic but. . .it's the best chance we've got.

also, i have hopes that the growth in popularity of crews like a2m ( not the only crew doing this, just a big popular one) will influence the kids coming up today. those guys have always respected numbers and other things that are very important to workers and railfans alike. for example something nobody has mentioned yet:

streaks and markings. a2m's respect for stuff like that will hopefully catch on and maybe the next generation will reduce heat with that respect. maybe. . .

don't get me wrong, i am still pretty stressed out about this stuff. whenver some one asks people to lay of streaks and monikers in the bench, they get ripped by a bunch of youngins. it's too bad. . but we can hope it'll change

i go along with the people who appreciate this thread and others like this. i am what youd call a rookie but before i got into this shit i tryed learning. to tell you the truth i learned from reading stuff like this and hearing from more experienced writers. just like Tyler Durden, i live in a city (not as heated as a place like queens) i also cherish my layups because the only yards are way heated. there are reacently a few stupid kids who have a hip hop graffiti cope2"gettin up" type metnality who have tryed to step to the freight scene because they see us doing it and want to get respect. they of course go over numbers, heat up spots, etc. im pretty young for a person serious about fr8 and whatnot. but i think i am a good example for any other new jacks . and i hope these threads are read so this movement can be prolonged...

ok im babbling peace

Originally posted by Good Morning Captain

And not all of us "city slickers" have the means to get out to the burbs so we do what we have to do.

oh give it a rest, "my life is so difficult" you have $1.50 to hop the PATH right? do some walking. I moved to the city from a "backwoods" area, and from what I've seen, you motherfuckers are spoiled, you take an awful lot for granted. I'm guessing you are NYC, if so, I've already found a few yards that are chill enough to paint, in range of the subway, I'm guessing slight investigation into Jersey and upstate would yield gold mines, all accessable by public transportation, and if you don't have the means for that because you are a po' ghetto kid, then where the fuck did you get the means to get on the internet ?! Come on, lets not get lazy people.

and as far as the proliferation of freight painting, cracked, you are 110% right as always, and the thing is I think a lot of people agree with you, its just an issue of getting all those who don't , to agree with you as well, and that may take some chasing out of yards with knives, I just really hope this thing doens't die soon, becase I love it.

Kabar, what are streamliners? and what are hobo jungles, please email me, I want to know more.

Guest im not witty

im not kabar, but thanks to him i can answer those questions at least.

streamliners are people who hop freights and dont keep a low profile, i.e

sitting at the open box car door, with their legs hanging out enjoying the scenery. "this aint no hobby beotch."

and a hobo jungle is basically what it sounds like, a campground near a yard for bums and tramps etc.

Guest im not witty

basically i would do you good do do a search on this site for all threads started by kabar. read them all just in case he never writes that book.

Hey..I'm a new jack at freights (I'm sorry please don't hate me). I've done some research and I'm going to start just checking out the yards in my city (no painting yet, just looking). Now I'm pretty sure that the yards in my hick town are pretty chill but I do not want to ruin someone else's spot by being ignorant. I would appreciate some do's and don'ts if anyone would be willing. Thanks very much in advance.

Originally posted by im not witty

im not kabar, but thanks to him i can answer those questions at least.

streamliners are people who hop freights and dont keep a low profile, i.e

sitting at the open box car door, with their legs hanging out enjoying the scenery. "this aint no hobby beotch."

Incorrect. The careless rider you have described is a highliner, one who is not keeping a low profile. A streamliner is a thief who hops, and he's looking to jack your equipment rather than use his own. Highliners get tongue-lashings, streamliners caught in the act generally get a much harsher treatment.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest toyeraser

kill a toy... 187 'um

the best way to save the freights is to write "toy" 10 times in any bullshit graff you see and stab toys in the face when you catch them at your yard or hunt them down if you can find out who they are.

one toy stabbed in the face = 100 toys who will be too scared to set foot in your yard.

Guest krowteN

^ thats a good iidea, just make sure you have one pants leg rolled up so you can play the complete roll.

• 1 month later...
Guest Ser3adc
Originally posted by kinkosnerd

Its weird. I never really thought of the freight scene in reference to the NY subway scene.. Its a pretty interesting paralell though.. Its pretty creepy to think of everything being on constant lockdown like the NY subways..

scary shit..

^^^word...i just started painting freights...i hope i have enough time to get some shit out there.

Archived