Critical Mass: Death of the Freight Scene

Cracked Ass

more bulls would be one route for railroads to attempt to clear up the graffiti on freights, coupled with them actually leaving their office. they have quicker access to the tracking information than you and i, and after seeing a few trains done by someone, they can start checking to see where trains have been coming in from with said persons name on them. once they figure out that cars from completely different areas have left with the same name on them.

ex: bull is sitting at a yard, and sees a piece by you cracked. (this is assuming you dont have as many as onorok or mber, cause they have so many freights out there it cant be avoided) after seeing your name a few times, he starts jotting down the numbers and/or taking flicks. using a trace, he can find out that these cars are all in town for deliveries at some local businesses. the origin for these cars varies from canada to texas. knowing that you cant be from both areas, but that both cars are in this area for a delivery, can be viewed as more than just a coincidence. while it would be hard for him to patrol all the layups around the area, he could use local leo's to look for vehicles parked in unusual areas to tip them off, or he could investigate the matter himself. say the bull notices a shipment of cars that are from quite some distance are coming in for a delivery. he takes flicks of the cars as they are going into the layup, noticing the pre-delivery graffiti. when the cars leave the layup, there are 2 new pieces on the cars.

while all this tracking and investigating would take time and effort, if the brass of the company was telling you to get off your fat lazy ass and do something about this vandalism or youre fired, youd get moving too. cause youve got a fairly decent paying, comfy job. the bulls also have access to criminal records as well. so lets say you got bagged a couple of years ago doing street work, or he has seen that you have done some highway underpasses. he now knows that you are working in his area. its only a matter of time before he finds your freight spots.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all it takes is two painted panels on two trains laid up side by side at a layup to "burn" your spot. a worker sees fresh looking paint and both pieces looking similar and you're found...it's not nuclear physics. it's not respecting the numbers or any of that crap...thats all bullshit. yeah, its cool to show respect and not do that, and i don't do that, but it certainly isnt saving you any hassle. i live in the south and the people that work the lines around here are some of the most proud people around. any slight indication that some yankee graffiti stuff is present and they get heated. everywhere doesn't function like northeast, cracked. graffiti isn't present in the south like it is in the north..in historical context. i've been snuck up on, screamed at, and treated like i was fucking terrorist at small town spots in the south. the best advice i can give is to say fuck all this...fuck this internet advice..fuck everyone else painting trains..fuck numbers, fuck popularity...fuck the spotted lists...and just get real. it's amazing how much common sense we lose when we get caught up in the freight graffiti ratrace. paint freights if your heart is in it, but for god's sake don't be so stupid as to think you're going to be the next big name out there...one train isn't worth $1000 bucks to me. odds are you'll either get bagged or burnt out. learn from a loser.

i wasnt exactly saying two cars side by side, or two of three cars even, but two new pieces with the same name on them. or even different names. they werent there before, and after going to a spot they have appeared. im just hoping (like im sure a lot of you are, or had better be) that it doesnt get that high on the bulls list of daily activities.

Guest Graff Jesus
Originally posted by chozer

ive always felt that painting more than a handful of freights in a year would tip off railroad workers and bulls as to where it was done. i mean, it doesnt take a genius to figure out that the same names have been coming out of their layups and yards. you can respect the numbers, engines, and area around them as much as you want, bulls are going to figure it out. they arent that dumb. its just a matter of incentive whether they want to do anything about it or not. i have a feeling they are running their operation much like a vandal squad, or mta, taking flicks of everything they see, and building cases against you over time. its that reason that has caused me to slow down considerably recently. id like to keep my spots paintable for years in the future if possible.

while i havent heard of anyone getting popped for multiple freight counts, its probably in the works....

like cracked said, i too am worried that a movie will come out that will heat things up incredibly, just like fast and the furious did for driving...

once its glorified the cops WILL want something done about it.

and the bulls are no exception.

this shit has already happened. people have been busted for multiple freight counts in big cities because of bull work just like this. in a city i know of every DAY the bull or someone from the vandal squad will roll each line on each side, flicking graff on EVERY train. if there is new graff on the train they log it and start a file on that person.

believe me, this shit is already happening.

Cultural Differences Are Paramount

One thing nobody has addressed yet is the perceived cultural differences between the tramps and hobos of thirty years ago, and today. In the 1960's, there were a lot more older railroad workers than there are today. They had been working since the late '30s or '40s. A lot of them had been to WWII. The younger men had been to Korea. The railroads back then were patriotic. They hired veterans. The unions always have had a beef with the railroads, but they were patriotic, too. The tramps and hobos ALSO were about the same age, and many of them had been in WWII as well. My friend Rufe was a SeaBee in the Pacific, and had Navy tattoos. When the rails saw old Rufe, all weather-beaten and rough-looking, showing the obvious effects of heavy drinking, they were thinking "There, but for the grace of God, go I. I could be that tramp, if I hadn't stopping drinking so hard after Korea." Rufe treated these men with respect, and they cut us some slack.

TODAY, the rails are more multi-cultural. I see a great many more minority rails and women. There were virtually NO female rail workers back in the '60s. They do not identify much with the "homeless." The definately do not identify with the punk rock "anarchist" types they see today. Only the really young black rails have any affinity for hip-hop music or culture. They hate gangs, gang bangers and people who live an anti-social lifestyle. They have a GOOD UNION JOB that pays well, has excellent benefits and provides their family with a good, upper-middle-class lifestyle. Their families don't live anywhere near any rail yard, they have a nice home in the far suburbs, preferably out in the country where their kids attend a school as far from hip-hoppin', drug-using, rap music-lovin' city kids as possible.

When they see some guy in "their" rail yard who dresses in a way calculated to shock, especially if he is wearing "gangsta" style clothes, saggin', hoody and etc., they see "the enemy." YOUR CLOTHES ARE A FORM OF COMMUNICATION. If you wear gangsta rags to the yard, you are wearing the WRONG UNIFORM. DRESS LIKE THE RAIL WORKERS. If you have occasion to speak to anybody from the railroad, including the bulls, remember the "attitude test." Speak politely, with respect. You are on their turf. Diss them, rip stuff off, damage railroad property, and you give them good reason to do their best to light you up. Either you see yourself and the rails as being "on the same side", or you don't. If you think that the authority of the rail workers is bullshit and not worthy of respect, you are putting your head in a noose. I treat them like I would like to be treated, regardless of what they do. It's very rare that I have any problem with regular workers.

I wasn't attacking you chozer, just describing why the worker/bull interplay at spots that ARE NOT HOT yet can work to your advantage. And I made a lot of generalizations (and labeled them "IN GENERAL"). I know things vary according to geography - if you read the whole post, I said so. A motivated bull can undertake the detective work you describe. I'm telling you how to avoid motivating the bull: don't hassle the workers.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother. I post advice here on how to keep spots chill longer, but it sounds like everybody wants a challenge. So go ahead, blow up all your fucking spots, and mine too while you're at it. There are no rules in graffiti, do what you want. Let's get it on with this critical mass shit.

The bottom line is that a lot of people and ignorants shit where they eat.

I reckon they know no better so thats what makes em ignorant.

Knowing better and still doing it "blowing up spots just makes em plain stupid.

The sooner they get off the train painting fad the better for the dedicated.

Like the Brand Nubian song

"slow down"

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

I wasn't attacking you chozer, just describing why the worker/bull interplay at spots that ARE NOT HOT yet can work to your advantage. And I made a lot of generalizations (and labeled them "IN GENERAL"). I know things vary according to geography - if you read the whole post, I said so. A motivated bull can undertake the detective work you describe. I'm telling you how to avoid motivating the bull: don't hassle the workers.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother. I post advice here on how to keep spots chill longer, but it sounds like everybody wants a challenge. So go ahead, blow up all your fucking spots, and mine too while you're at it. There are no rules in graffiti, do what you want. Let's get it on with this critical mass shit.

believe me, im trying my damndest to keep my spots chill...

im hoping others are doing the same, but im feeling a little heat already.

and weve all been pretty careful too..

damn...the truth speaks for some

Originally posted by Graff Jesus

this shit has already happened. people have been busted for multiple freight counts in big cities because of bull work just like this. in a city i know of every DAY the bull or someone from the vandal squad will roll each line on each side, flicking graff on EVERY train. if there is new graff on the train they log it and start a file on that person.

believe me, this shit is already happening.

he's right folks!! you all should read a book called mr nice. its about howard marks who was a british hashish smuggler from the early 70's to the late 80's. he was pullin in millions for his scams as they called them, and the dea was onto his every move, the entire time! they documented every meeting he had with anyone suspected of smuggling, and busted them all for counts they didnt even move. they even named a cartel after him, just as we name a crew. to him, just like how freights are to us, it was just hash, nothing REALLY illegal. no one was dying because of it, and it has never been proven addictive! he got caught one time (well, a few, but at the prior times they wanted a few other big names and sort of let him off the hook on a technicality), and everything he had ever done he was being charged for. the guy had millions of dollars in bank accounts around the world and was able to pay lawyers. we're just writers, maybe some of you have millions of dollars, but i dont. i just want to paint and i know some day it may cost me. is it worth it? i guess so...i still find myself doing it...

with respect to what kabar said on clothing making an impression. he is very correct. i dress well, and the workers know me...i walk into the yard, and i can have conversations with the workers, on the other hand, the one kid who i was talking about (the kid who busts hollows on every single car in a line) he walks into the yard, wearing his huge as jnco's that cover his shoe, and he gets yelled at by the workers...this is to be expected. how do i know, because last time i talked with this kid he told me, he was yelled at for being in the yard....so why can i walk in there and not be yelled at, other than knowing some of the workers on a personal basis? answer: i dress well, and look sharp. i am polite, and i enjoy learning about railroads. the one kid though, gels his hair up, and rocks his huge as pants that he should have stoped wearing when he was 14, and more than likely brings his posse into the yard with him...if you dress like a punk. be expected to be treated like a punk by the workers....great thread...i think it should be made a sticky for educational purposes to new jack freight painters.

Guest TrustEvil

I second the recommendation on reading that book Mr.Nice...that is assuming some of you actually know how to read and pick up a book from time to time.

All good things will no doubt come to an end. Sadly we are involved in a movement that is overpopulated by thick-headed insecure egomaniacs who have little to no respect for anything beyond what they do for themselves. Granted there are a lot of heads who know how to behave and want nothing more than to continue painting and pushing the scene forward....but overall we are dealing with a bunch of punk ass kids who don't give a shit and have convinced themselves that they run the show. Well, the truth is they don't run the show, and all they are succeeding in doing is ruin it for the rest of us. Bottom line, we will always be able to paint fr8s, but it won't always be this good, and we'll have to step on some throats to secure the dwindling painting opportunities we will have left.

..and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

can't read all this shit though i like this topic alot. i

read what fox said at the begining re: feasibility of security everywhere not being likely. sure the city yards could all sum day be on lock but considering the cost to employ guards and to install cameras in the middle of nowhere.. shit man, i doubt it would be worth it to spend that money. there is too many miles and too many spots across the continent.

I suppose if it did become a serious (i mean a fucking incredible) problem then we might see more secured spots in the woods. all in all i just think it is quite unlikey. anything can happen though so we'll see. while time passes respect yer yard and the RR system across the continent which i miss so much. man i miss dem fr8's. I write from overseas btw.

Camouflage

Suburbian Bum--I think you're right, if what you were going to do was hit some downtown building or a suburban business park for some reason. The idea is to "blend in with your surroundings", but just a suit and tie wouldn't do it. You need the right haircut, the right kind of car, the right eyeglasses (if you wear eyeglasses) and so forth.

In a rail yard, men in business suits are somewhat rare, unless they are from the railroad and heading to see the yardmaster or something like that. Most railroad supervisors and middle managers are in their late '30s or 40's. They wear "business casual" clothing---perhaps a dark pair of slacks, leather dress shoes, white shirt (oddly, often short-sleeved,) conservative-to-casual tie (like a rep tie) and wear their hair in a short, conservative style. Of course, I'm speaking here about the warm, Southern climate along the Gulf Coast. Three hundred miles north, an entirely different style may be common, especially this time of year.

The people one most commonly sees in and around a rail yard are Maintenance of Way (MoW) workers, switchmen and car knockers. They dress in blue jeans, overalls, work boots, various kinds of work shirts, usually some type of hat, like a ball cap. Sometimes in the summer I see yard workers wear a straw cowboy hat here in Texas. They almost always wear a short haircut, but not a buzz cut. They almost never wear beards down here. Texas weather is hot, humid and the job is a dirty one.

Train crewmen generally dress for a less dirty environment, although they do often wear boots. I rarely see train crewmen wearing a hat. Yard goat engineers do, but not road unit crewmen. The train crewmen have a style that looks more upscale than the yard workers, more polo shirts, sometimes khaki trousers, sometimes Levis, very rarely overalls. When they change crews, they are carrying zip-up athletic tote bags, similar to the sort of bag one might carry to a gym, or backpacks with wheels, like one would carry-on onto an airplane for a short business trip. They also usually wear a short, conservative haircut, much like in a business environment. Sometimes they wear a short, well-trimmed beard or a moustache and goatee. One crewman is always carrying a bag of ice.

If you are trying to look inconspicuous in a rail yard, dress like the people who work there, that's my advice.

Guest fr8lover

i think that what has happened to the west coast and now to many bigger cities will soon happen to smaller towns and less traveled areas soon, too. the amazing amounts to which yards are blown on the west coast (simply from hearing what you guys have said) is beginning in even the smallest of scenes. around here, people have been leaving cans and catching tags on trash cans for awhile, but just recently ive seen city police driving right through the heart of local layups, shooting me a really nasty look as they leave. its pretty obvious that they know what goes on, but like what people have said before, there just isnt enough manpower to keep it guarded 24/7 with the little resources they have already going toward more important endeavors. the problem though, i have already mentioned: THEY KNOW WHATS GOING ON. that is reason enough to scare anyone who regularly trespasses onto their property, sets their stuff down, and gets to work for extended periods of time on rolling stock located in said property. should it scare us? yes. should we be surprised? hell no. i related to a writer in town about my experience with the cop driving in the yard and he seemed amazed that it happened, yet he admittedely caught a tag on a switch box in the yard for the hell of it. they leave cans on the ground, write on every car and basically abuse the use of something that has absolutely no more room to be abused.

as anyone can see, from just being on 12oz or seeing first hand for themselves, the "freight scene" has grown from the biggest of street bombing cities to small midwest towns. everyone is in on it and the more people "down with the scene," the more resources the people trying to get us will throw toward it. how can we sit around and act like we didnt see this coming when you see shots of 20 wholecars back to back to back. lots of people say, and i agree, that it is a sort of promotion of the freight scene, a moving forward if you will. but the more we move forward and the more aspects are added to a particular activity, especially an illegal one, the more the good guys will want to stop it. i say "good guys" because if you didnt realize by now, we are the bad guys in this situation. no "fight the power" bullshit will make me believe any different (or the average joe, police officer or railroad worker) that what we do is wrong, and its always someones job out their to try and stop it. and in a situation like that, if those people can see that more and more people are managing to get over under THEIR WATCH, thus demeaning their position as an authority figure, they will work harder to prove their worth.

theres nothing we can do at this time but keep on keeping on and knowing in the backs of our minds that as we progress, so will the other guys. its all about realizing that this is bound to happen and bracing ourselves for it, making sure that we are prepared for when the shit hits the fan. otherwise, we remain blind while the "good guys" can only see our growing numbers more and more.

Other Artistic Options

There are more options open to us of which few people are trying to take advantage. The main function of publicly displayed gaffitti is the seizing of the public audience. In effect, it turns the whole world into your gallery, but of course, you get no compensation for the art you "give away" to the world. Hitting freeway underpasses or rail cars provides one with a way to get your art "hung" and displayed regardless of whether an art critic or gallery owner sees it as worth appreciating or not. Only a few of the graff artists and writers I've met really see themselves as artists or their art as art. Many of them, especially the younger ones, think of graff in terms of "getting my name up" and garnering notoriety among their peers. Very few see graff "as art." If they did, they might consider themselves members of a particular school of artistic style, one which uses public spaces and various forms of transportation as exhibition avenues and modes. I'd like to see graff artists move it to canvas, or masonite board, and begin to try to seek acceptance through more traditional gallery channels. But that sort of "ups the ante" artistically. You can't just bomb a canvas and then expect it to achieve acclaim. Viewing graffitti as art changes it from playtime to work--actual striving for creative excellence. But the reward is that at least some of the better writers would then have an identity as artists, like painters, sculptors and graphic illustrators do.

Re: Other Artistic Options

Originally posted by KaBar

There are more options open to us of which few people are trying to take advantage. The main function of publicly displayed gaffitti is the seizing of the public audience. In effect, it turns the whole world into your gallery, but of course, you get no compensation for the art you "give away" to the world. Hitting freeway underpasses or rail cars provides one with a way to get your art "hung" and displayed regardless of whether an art critic or gallery owner sees it as worth appreciating or not. Only a few of the graff artists and writers I've met really see themselves as artists or their art as art. Many of them, especially the younger ones, think of graff in terms of "getting my name up" and garnering notoriety among their peers. Very few see graff "as art." If they did, they might consider themselves members of a particular school of artistic style, one which uses public spaces and various forms of transportation as exhibition avenues and modes. I'd like to see graff artists move it to canvas, or masonite board, and begin to try to seek acceptance through more traditional gallery channels. But that sort of "ups the ante" artistically. You can't just bomb a canvas and then expect it to achieve acclaim. Viewing graffitti as art changes it from playtime to work--actual striving for creative excellence. But the reward is that at least some of the better writers would then have an identity as artists, like painters, sculptors and graphic illustrators do.

This is an old issue, addressed briefly in the movie "Wildstyle" (and by Cap in Style Wars, to a degree). Most writers are thinking the exact opposite of what you're suggesting: it's taking it to the streets, walls and trains that ups the ante, not going back to canvas. You can't just bomb a canvas and get critical acclaim because it's not illegal - you'll always "get away with it". Part of the biggest attraction for graffiti for me when I was still a "civilian" was the amazement that somebody could get away with doing a burner right out in the open, that they were taking the idea of civilian graffiti (kilroy was here) and adding ELEMENTS of art to it, having the audacity to stand there for minutes or hours doing a complex and colorful rendition of their name, when they were liable to arrest at any moment. But the purpose was still getting their name up in such a way as to advertise their ballsiness, no matter how many techniques they borrowed from the art world to embellish the product. This is why so many writers on here hate the term "artist" and constantly shit on people who primarily excel in art with a spraycan on legal walls - they aren't taking any risks. The people with this mentality have little patience with the pretension of art galleries and that whole scene, preferring the rawness of bombing.

Naturally there are crossovers and open-minded writers who work both angles, and have no problem calling graffiti art, and there have been a few who made a dent in the art world, and fewer still who have made that dent while retaining respect from traditional writers (Dondi and Espo come to mind).

We're off the freight topic, so anyone who wants to rehash the legal/illegal issue should probably start a new thread in Third Rail or something.

my thoughts on this are:

the reason i enjoy doing graffiti is for the challange of getting away with a crime...i enjoy the chillness of my country bumpkin yards and lay ups i have down here, but honestly there is nothing in the world that lets you know your alive like painting and coming off in a heated yard...it's all a game of risk, and while it would kinda of suck to have to come up with extra steps to complete the mission(ie. havng paint stashed in the yards/ having to get dropped off at yards,ect...) it would kinda of add to the adventure of the whole thing. and as far as enjoying the "old golry days" when there were about a third of the names out there that you see now... i wouldnt mind that. It has always been my thinking that there sould be a certian degree of dificulty in getting away with painting, otherwise anyone could do it, graffiti to me is about 10% artistic ability, 40% style, and 50% BALLS. and if/when it ends up like MR. Cracked says... that is when the true writers will shine, and the people that are just going through the motions since it is so easy these days will fade off.

...... dont get me wrong i take all messures to keep my yards chill, and a serect form everyone except my good friends, i try not to go over numbers, i always police up my emptie's(and others my friends leave around..)... but all and all hot yards or chill yard im still going to get up!:D

Approaching from a different perspective

I got interested in graff because of my background in tramping and hopping. And I can certainly appreciate the element of "getting away with it"--otherwise, why wouldn't I just be a "legal" railfan that takes excursion trips on passenger trains with my railfan club on my vacation? Trainhoppers comes in various shapes, sizes, ages, etc. and they all have different motivations for doing it. I think the same thing is true, to a degree, for graff writers. The difference is whether or not a trainhopper is a straight-up tramp, or whether a trainhopper is a despicable fucking streamliner. the one lives his life with a set of rules--he is (if you'll pardon my Pollyanna attitude) living a life of "honor among thieves." One-percenter bikers live this way as well. They may be rejected by straight society, but they are brothers among themselves and would never fuck over a bro-- never. Streamliners are usually ignorant, no-class rip-off artists. They have an element of sociopathology to their personalities. They don't give a shit who gets hurt, as long as they get what they want. They are dangerous to everyone around them.

Graff writers fall into these type of categories as well. Some have good sense, and can make a reasoned judgement about what they are doing, and some are idiots who bomb the back wall of the bull's office and ruin a yard for ten years. Some are talented and have an admirable grasp of space and color and style, and some are no-talent idiots who are basically just vandalizing the entire world with a spray can. All I can say is that I admire the former, and am disgusted by the latter, just like everybody else. THERE SHOULD BE RULES ABOUT ACCEPTABLE TARGETS. And the graffitti "community" (for lack of a better term) should enforce those rules by culture and social interaction. Don't admire writers that hit forbidden targets--like personal property or historical sites. People who have no better judgement than this are idiots. If what you want is a challenge, then make it a fair challenge. And one needs to accept that once in a while you're going to get popped---don't blame the cops and the bulls. We all know what the rules are.

to dirrectly assert the topic of the thread- so what if trains die? it wont be the death of graffiti. if the ny sub scene was still going on, then maybe graff would have never exploded into heavy street bombing, or organised productions. maybe the scene needs something like this to happen to bump it up to another level, to get it more organised, to teach writers not to exploit their most important resources, to show people the result of their actions.

it sucks that this would ruin it even for the most consciencious of writers, but if it happens, then i'll live with it. i'll continue riding this train (and painting it here and there) till death do us part, but if change comes a knockin, there's no stoppin....

Originally posted by yehaw

maybe the scene needs something like this to happen to bump it up to another level, to get it more organised, to teach writers not to exploit their most important resources, to show people the result of their actions.

I see what you're saying, but if a movement doesn't have to die, don't push it. Freights could be continued to be painted for decades if people are careful.

Originally posted by CIPHER_one

I see what you're saying, but if a movement doesn't have to die, don't push it. Freights could be continued to be painted for decades if people are careful.

lets say you have 95% of the people associated with the train system who are very consciencious about how their actions effect the system, who dont break into boxcars, dont litter along the rails, and who overall dont fuck anything up- (the workers, select writers, railfans, etc.). then you've got the 5% whose actions have a greater impact on the system, which negate the effort of the so many who try to preserve it. these are the people who simply don't think. believe it or not, it takes some effort to think, and for some it requires too much. because they choose to run from reason, and have been doing so for so long, it is impossible to show them the consequences. simply put: reason, logic, rationallity, etc. is no force against people who make the choice evade it.

even more simply put: the people who are ruining it for everyone will continue to do so, while others will continue their efforts to preserve it, until who knows whem. it can go either way.

Yehaw speaks the only real truth...sort of an existentialist/realist approach. There's a minority we can't reach. If I have influenced anyone anywhere to help a spot last a couple extra months, great. But I don't overestimate my importance, yapping away on the internet. What will come, will come. My real goal is to make sure that people are informed enough about these things, and they can then figure out whether they care. A small percentage of assholes will never go away, so I throw up my hands on that issue, but I hate to see spots blown by newjacks who have a decent attitude but just don't know what they're doing.

Originally posted by Graff Jesus

luckilly not in my new spot, but other yards i was doing 3 years ago or so did. do you have a rail police station on site at your yard....? it's no fun ducking from bulls and workers on mopeds/golf carts.

same here, in toronto!!!!!!

Archived