Critical Mass: Death of the Freight Scene

Cracked Ass

in australia the freight scene is alot more diffirent, i've never heard of a writer getting caught painting freights here, most yards are chill well my one is but in my yard if i fuck up i get my head kicked in by about 5 crews that ''owen'' the yard, back in 2006 the passenger train scene died because of the stupid fucking commenwellth games so every piece of graffiti got buffed but there are still die hard train painters left, and you would think if the freight companys didn't want graffiti on there freight cars they would buff it and hire more security guards or they just cant be fucked thats how it is in the land down under

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its not all dead,but it is slowly dying out cause of the city setting up these cameras where you step into there frame and it takes a picture and says some shit like "youre picture will be used to prosicute you vandalism is illegal" thats some fucked up shit yo,and all it takes is for you to walk by....FUCK THE CITY OFFICIALS!!!!!!!!....you still aint stoppin us......

• 2 weeks later...

so i went benching today and while i was making my way to where all the trains were i look over at an engine that had been parked over night...and some faggot named naro painted over the engine..there was at least 30 cars on the track at the time and a few were completely clean cars that he could have hit.it pissed me off soooo bad becuase now its gonna be ten times harder to paint there let alone bench.i mean why the fuck couldnt he have waited for the trains to come in or paint the one that was already there.needless to say the workers are probably just as pissed.i dont unerstand what would posess someone to do that shit.probably the worst thing you could do to heat up a yard or layup other than actually painting shit in the yard other than the trains or hitting everything on the line...im pissed

• 7 months later...
I keep my spot extra low key. The only peole that know about it are me, and my crew. The surronding buisness don't care if we paint. The first time I went to the yard a couple of years ago when I was a toy, I asked the at a neighboring factory that looks directly over the yard if we could paint a few cars, and they said"Go ahead.". We became pretty good friends, now they keep out writers that aren't down with us or otherwise. I'm not saying that any of you toys should guys go ask a rail worker for permission to paint in his yard, its just plain stupid. We were just blessed with dumb luck. But try to keep an eye on who else might be painting at the same spot you are. Ecspially is there toy, I'm not saying to vamp them the next time you see them in the yard. Just confront them, ask them to respect the yard and follow the guidlines like Cracked mentioned. If there a well expiericend writer that knows their stuff, don't bother, they know their stuff already, and sometimes more than you might. Plain and simple respect your spot, yard, or lay-up, cause when a stupid toy paints the tracks and leaves their cans right there, it will be gone quicker than you think.

I'd like to start by saying that, even though it has been a while since this thread was responded to, I'd like to say what's on my mind, as I completely agree with Edward Orenthal Norton.

A while back, I was at a yard with some friends, and at the time, I was even more toy than I am now, so I wasn't going to bother painting anything. I was along for the experience, the knowledge, and to take some pictures of work that was already there. We had a little bit of trouble getting in, but my friends, knew how to be safe around the yard, and they also knew how to be respectful of the workers, and their yard. So, some of the workers turned a blind eye to us being in there.

While we were down there, I was going around getting some flicks of some nice work that was there, chilling with my friends, admiring the varying styles, etc. About halfway through our being there, apparently some punk came in through another entrance of sorts, and started hitting up the side of an engine that was there for repair. We had no idea that he was even there; we were on different ends of the yard, completely.

Well, I guess one of the workers that had seen us come in, smelled paint coming from that area, and went to investigate, but he was noisier than he could have been, and the punk had a chance to hide. The worker thought it was one of us, and was furious that we had lied to him about respecting their yard. Needless to say, he came to get us, and boot our asses out. In the meantime, the punk was off fucking up some other cars (I guess he gave up on his "piece" on the engine?). When the worker found us, he was anything but pleasant; absolutely furious, and wanted to damn near strangle us if you ask me. Now, I've always been one who can talk my way out of a jam (I'm not trying to brag or anything), and I suggested that I go find the kid and see if I could talk to him. The worker told me to get him out of here, or he'd get the bull on our asses.

So, like an idiot, I went off by myself to find the kid who was disrespecting the yard, and the workers. I looked for him by the engine that the worker pointed me to (the one that he had pieced), and I didn't find him. I did however find a terrible excuse for a piece, a bunch of empty cans, a bag of markers that he dropped, and a sketch of his piece. I tossed it all in my backpack and went to look for him. I found him down by the end of the yard, hitting up an older car, and I tried to approach him nicely; he wasn't having it, and he chucked a can at me, and tried to take off. Luckily, one of my friends had followed me to help me out and make sure I didn't get hurt (I was 16 at the time). He caught the punk, and told him that we just wanted to talk to him. We more or less sat there talking to him for a good 15 or 20 minutes explaining to him that he's got to have more respect for the yards, the trains, and the workers if we're to have yards to paint anymore. It took some doing, but we got him to go talk to, and apologize to the worker whom he had evaded earlier, and ever since then, he's been respectful at the yard (when he's in there that is...he kind of avoids it now).

I kept his markers though, and I picked up all of his cans for him. I actually got a thank you from the workers, and they didn't get the bull after us. All in all, it was a sketchy, but memorable day. I have a lot of respect for the game of Graff, and for those who are in it (except for punk toys who don't respect anything or anyone). You have to be aware of the fact that a little courtesy goes a long way, even when it comes to Graff. You're less likely to get caught, kicked out, or even arrested if you're conscious of where you're putting your paint, and how you go about doing it. Even if I'm not in a yard, whether it be at an abandoned building, a chill spot, or a tunnel, I take my empty cans, food wrappers, etc; any sort of garbage, goes with me when I leave.

Respect will get you far in the art of Graff, and it will help make it easier for all of us, to keep doing what we do. I just wish I could make more of a difference than just the one writer whom I educated back on that day.

Much respect, Edward, Cracked, and everybody else who deserves it.

so i went benching today and while i was making my way to where all the trains were i look over at an engine that had been parked over night...and some faggot named naro painted over the engine..there was at least 30 cars on the track at the time and a few were completely clean cars that he could have hit.it pissed me off soooo bad becuase now its gonna be ten times harder to paint there let alone bench.i mean why the fuck couldnt he have waited for the trains to come in or paint the one that was already there.needless to say the workers are probably just as pissed.i dont unerstand what would posess someone to do that shit.probably the worst thing you could do to heat up a yard or layup other than actually painting shit in the yard other than the trains or hitting everything on the line...im pissed

yeah i haven't benched in a few months but the i used to go to is blown because kids painted the pillars on the bridge that goes over the yard. the yard now has cameras you can only flick the outside line or else you risk getting rolled on by feds and spending the weekend in lock up for felony trespassing.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to express some thanks to all those who have made this thread and every good thread on the forum what it is because of their knowledge and guided help. As we all know graffiti is filled with all types of people who do it for many different reasons. I myself have always done it for the art, although all the other reasons be it the rush of bombing or the fame you might obtain are no doubt understandable as well. I have never been lucky enough to really paint too many freights. Not because there were none around, but it was a much more involved task to travel to them and not knowing other writers that knew there stuff in the yards I mostly spent my time elsewhere. After its all said and done I am a true lover and supporter of the culture and am always sad to see it dwindling down in any way. I am from New York and watched the whole thing begin rise up and change to be what it is today and although it will always be there it is so sad to see what it is compared to what it was. The highways always strike me the most because as a kid that was one of my favorite things was seeing all the fills and following the whole thing. Now its a blank bleak wasteland , with maybe a few toys or 1 or 2 veterans hanging on but they are buffed in 3 days if not the next day. My point is I truly hope that the people who paint freights or are starting to stop and read this ,taking it seriously because your actions do matter . Everyone thinks I am 1 person its not gonna make a difference , but it really does. ! person can make or brake something in many situations , like the post about the kid hitting the engine above. Now he may have ruined or at least made it harder for all the others who play by the rules and love that spot. Think no matter your reason we all share this love for graff , do your part to help keep it alive....71 Great thread.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I'd like to start by saying that, even though it has been a while since this thread was responded to, I'd like to say what's on my mind, as I completely agree with Edward Orenthal Norton.

A while back, I was at a yard with some friends, and at the time, I was even more toy than I am now, so I wasn't going to bother painting anything. I was along for the experience, the knowledge, and to take some pictures of work that was already there. We had a little bit of trouble getting in, but my friends, knew how to be safe around the yard, and they also knew how to be respectful of the workers, and their yard. So, some of the workers turned a blind eye to us being in there.

While we were down there, I was going around getting some flicks of some nice work that was there, chilling with my friends, admiring the varying styles, etc. About halfway through our being there, apparently some punk came in through another entrance of sorts, and started hitting up the side of an engine that was there for repair. We had no idea that he was even there; we were on different ends of the yard, completely.

Well, I guess one of the workers that had seen us come in, smelled paint coming from that area, and went to investigate, but he was noisier than he could have been, and the punk had a chance to hide. The worker thought it was one of us, and was furious that we had lied to him about respecting their yard. Needless to say, he came to get us, and boot our asses out. In the meantime, the punk was off fucking up some other cars (I guess he gave up on his "piece" on the engine?). When the worker found us, he was anything but pleasant; absolutely furious, and wanted to damn near strangle us if you ask me. Now, I've always been one who can talk my way out of a jam (I'm not trying to brag or anything), and I suggested that I go find the kid and see if I could talk to him. The worker told me to get him out of here, or he'd get the bull on our asses.

So, like an idiot, I went off by myself to find the kid who was disrespecting the yard, and the workers. I looked for him by the engine that the worker pointed me to (the one that he had pieced), and I didn't find him. I did however find a terrible excuse for a piece, a bunch of empty cans, a bag of markers that he dropped, and a sketch of his piece. I tossed it all in my backpack and went to look for him. I found him down by the end of the yard, hitting up an older car, and I tried to approach him nicely; he wasn't having it, and he chucked a can at me, and tried to take off. Luckily, one of my friends had followed me to help me out and make sure I didn't get hurt (I was 16 at the time). He caught the punk, and told him that we just wanted to talk to him. We more or less sat there talking to him for a good 15 or 20 minutes explaining to him that he's got to have more respect for the yards, the trains, and the workers if we're to have yards to paint anymore. It took some doing, but we got him to go talk to, and apologize to the worker whom he had evaded earlier, and ever since then, he's been respectful at the yard (when he's in there that is...he kind of avoids it now).

I kept his markers though, and I picked up all of his cans for him. I actually got a thank you from the workers, and they didn't get the bull after us. All in all, it was a sketchy, but memorable day. I have a lot of respect for the game of Graff, and for those who are in it (except for punk toys who don't respect anything or anyone). You have to be aware of the fact that a little courtesy goes a long way, even when it comes to Graff. You're less likely to get caught, kicked out, or even arrested if you're conscious of where you're putting your paint, and how you go about doing it. Even if I'm not in a yard, whether it be at an abandoned building, a chill spot, or a tunnel, I take my empty cans, food wrappers, etc; any sort of garbage, goes with me when I leave.

Respect will get you far in the art of Graff, and it will help make it easier for all of us, to keep doing what we do. I just wish I could make more of a difference than just the one writer whom I educated back on that day.

Much respect, Edward, Cracked, and everybody else who deserves it.

this was seriously a cool fukin story

• 8 months later...
The public made no distinction between piecers with a vision, like Dondi, and gangs whose thing was busting out subway windows and fucking with passengers. They were all lumped together as one big "bad element", and dealt with by people with that mentality

P.S. Lest we forget - DONDI CIA - Crazy Inside Artists.. Dondi was an inside king before he ever fucked with outsides.. and a lot of the guys in CIA were surely far from the piecers with a vision when they started.. some when they ended too..

They weren't saints

it's a journey

• 1 year later...

Archived