Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
REGULATOR

whats the big deal with history???

Recommended Posts

alrite....why exactly do we need to kno the history of graff??? i personally find it pointless but i was wondering you guys thought.....95% of the writers i kno are youngstas and dont know and dont give a fuck about who was bombing back in the 80s early 90s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda agree with you too. I think you should be aware of the history in your area and some of the legends worldwide. But I don't feel the need to have to know about some late 90's freight 'king. I guess cause when I was in my prime if the early 90's we didn't have the net, all we had was word of mouth and Subway Art, and the great zine Can Control. Now there are 20 graff books,100 zines, 50 movies, the internet where everyone seems to know everything about every joe Blow writer in Canada, Australia, or FuckMeInTheAss, Wyoming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by REGULATOR

alrite....why exactly do we need to kno the history of graff??? i personally find it pointless but i was wondering you guys thought.....95% of the writers i kno are youngstas and dont know and dont give a fuck about who was bombing back in the 80s early 90s

 

 

I agree completely. I get really sick of people giving me shit about history and my lack of knowledge about it. I paint, I work hard - that's all that is required of me........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before I even picked up a can I made sure I knew all about the history. I don't think you need to be all heavy into it, just a basic knowledge of where your roots come from.

 

Kinda like knowing the history of a sport.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

 

Kinda like knowing the history of a sport.....

 

 

Could not have said it better myself. The same goes for music, you see alot of sucessful bands talking about thier favorite bands and the history of their genre of music.

 

Many of you say Graffiti is an art(though I disagree in part), 99% of art schools require you to learn "art history" before you can graduate. You need to know who came before you, what they did, and learn about different styles.

 

If you show a genuine interest in graffiti, take the time to learn your history.

 

 

This has been a public service announcement. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well i didnt really try to go out and learn the history i just sort of picked it up on accident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest imported_Tesseract

You study the history of graffiti just because its something you like to know about, It comes naturally.

You just want to read/see/ask and talk about it, thats all and its damn important, as history is important in all things.

The media stuff, is pure medieval crap, you cant blame magazines/sites and books, the more you got the better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yea when i started i wasnt exactly clueless about what happened before i started....i mostly just knew about MSK and LA highway graff...but i had no idea who were the best train bombers in NY, or who was the freight king of the 80s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WELL HMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

 

I see your point a little but you need to understand some things. The true great writers had influences. They came up watching and mimicing other styles and techs until they came up with there own styles. All artists in all fields have stated one after another that they had influences. SOOOOO studying the art and the status of previous artists helps you to understand where the artform that you love has come from. You don't need to know who kinged the one line in 86 but it's nice to know what artists came from where so you can understand styles and there geographic placements. West coast and East coast sometimes have blatent diferences in styles and that is because the cultures and histories are diferent. Anyway...... that's my word as I see it, some will tell you other things. Other than that, paint because you love it. FUCK what others try to tell you what to do.

 

CAPS................ Doctor........ your three o'clock is here.

http://sprapex.com

MONTANA PAINT CHEAP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if someone needs to ask why they should take an interest in understanding something they claim to be part of, they dont possess the passion or dedication required to make it in the long haul.

If you need practical ,concrete reasons...here's one example: You never studied your history enough to know that so-and-so wrote

"XYZ" back in the days, and payed his dues and earned his respect. In your complete ignorance you begin to write "XYZ", you are making a little name for yourself locally as time goes by, and feeling pretty good about your status. You venture to the big city to step up your rep, when you arrive to make your debut, your big splash, you seek out the established writers in said city...you want to hook up and make some noise, right? Only when you tell them you are "XYZ", they proceed to split your wig and relieve you of all your hard earned paint. WHY?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest evoloner

I think it all depends how interested you are in the art form you are participating in. I mean when I first started writing ,I wanted to know everything I could about graffiti.

If I was in a book store and saw subway art for example I would pick it up and read it. When I first got access to the net, any site that had info I would want to read it because it interested me. So I think if you really love doing something you should want to learn everything you can about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...reread tess' post for the abstract and intellectual reason behind learning the history...

 

 

....then reread scotchs for a very practical reason why you should, cause wigs arent meant to be split and paint is expensive...

 

 

 

i thought it was self explanatory....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point

 

Originally posted by SCOTCHWISKEO

You never studied your history enough to know that so-and-so wrote

"XYZ" back in the days, and payed his dues and earned his respect. In your complete ignorance you begin to write "XYZ"

 

Very good point. I'll be humble enough to say "Anybody heard of CAP?" Well when I started 10 years ago, I didn't know my history AT ALL. All that I knew was that I loved painting and it wasn't untill later that I really enjoyed the history and stories. Then I found out that the name I had been writing for over a year was the name of a "king status" kid in Brook. So the moral is "learn" then you won't have to even sweat what wiskeo was talking about.

 

GOOD POINT WISK

 

CAPS....... my name means C.ops A.nd P.eople S.uck. I like my name. I hate my hair.

http://sprapex.com

MONTANA PAINT F'in CHEAP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i believe history in many things to be important "how will know your future if you dont know your past?"

just a quik example, how do you know not to go over a dope piece with some toy marksalot tag that you just picked up and decided to start writing with one day?

of course you develop a style of your own (hopefully) along the way of your career but, when you first start you catch glimpses and you see things in other peoples work that might strongly influence you or others around you, you must acknowledge this out of respect otherwise you're fronting

faking the funk aint cool we all no its about originality and being genuine

no biters. aint that right!?

getting skooled is a must

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by SCOTCHWISKEO

Well, if someone needs to ask why they should take an interest in understanding something they claim to be part of, they dont possess the passion or dedication required to make it in the long haul.

If you need practical ,concrete reasons...here's one example: You never studied your history enough to know that so-and-so wrote

"XYZ" back in the days, and payed his dues and earned his respect. In your complete ignorance you begin to write "XYZ", you are making a little name for yourself locally as time goes by, and feeling pretty good about your status. You venture to the big city to step up your rep, when you arrive to make your debut, your big splash, you seek out the established writers in said city...you want to hook up and make some noise, right? Only when you tell them you are "XYZ", they proceed to split your wig and relieve you of all your hard earned paint. WHY?

This is the right answer - know your history for the love, and for your safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

theres a difference between debating how old graff is and its origins ..........and learning the game and what they did before you .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a few different reasons why I believe history is important.

 

First and foremost, as Truman said, "If we don't learn from the mistakes of history, we are doomed to repeat them." I'll give you a good personal example with this one. It was a few years ago when I first started getting interested in graf. I've always been into computers and I came across graffiti.org and started reading up. I came to find out that there were actual publications with pics and I picked up my first, (and so far, only) issue of 12oz. Now, I don't remember where I read it, but I came across this article that was written by an established, retired, writer. Essentially, the article was a warning. He was talking about his history with writing, and how he had never wore a mask. He went on to talk about all of these horrible disorders he started to develop over the years and it scared the shit outta me.

 

I went out and boughta mask that day.

 

It's also about roots. Don't take this as a literal comparison, but would you join a war if you had no clue of it's cause? Or who you would be fighting with? Or against? Being an artist is one thing, but when you take it to the streets, you should realize that you are joining a MOVEMENT. It means something different to all writers, and to all writers it should mean something.

 

-9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

word to 9ign and everyone else yall are on point for real it's just like the song

"you gotta love me or leave me alone"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

REGULATOR-the reason for knowing your history is this- You want to claim and rock shit, well, there were tons before you, who rocked really hard, and in order for you to think you are someone in this game, you must know what they did, and you must come close or better, in order to gain respect. In the long run, without knowing your history, you will not know who ran the yards before you..like ARM,TDF,GF,ROT,MC,RSP,USC, laz,rewind,floyd,metal,dink,gears,king razor......these are crews and people you should know, ask your older brother or his friends, etc...For knowing what the hell you are trying to do now. If you don't know your past, you don't know your future.Respect the game you are playing.Learn the history of old bus line rockers, these people are worthy of your respect. The game is deep.If you learn the historyl, even of your own city, you will find a great deal of info in it..like what candy ink, really is. New york,signing out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest SOCCERMOM 1

HISTORY IS IMPORTANT!! as is discipline, respect, and understanding of any given subculture. where would we be if those before us hadn't paved the way. should the ones who worked hard in the past be simply forgotten? gone over by raver joe and tribal gear tony? "i'm just having fun dude!" would you like to be forgotten for all your efforts? why shouldn't you learn your roots, it's what defines you. when you understand history you understand what growing up means.

 

listen to your teachers and do your homework

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by cleansheets

REGULATOR-the reason for knowing your history is this- You want to claim and rock shit, well, there were tons before you, who rocked really hard, and in order for you to think you are someone in this game, you must know what they did, and you must come close or better, in order to gain respect. In the long run, without knowing your history, you will not know who ran the yards before you..like ARM,TDF,GF,ROT,MC,RSP,USC, laz,rewind,floyd,metal,dink,gears,king razor......these are crews and people you should know, ask your older brother or his friends, etc...For knowing what the hell you are trying to do now. If you don't know your past, you don't know your future.Respect the game you are playing.Learn the history of old bus line rockers, these people are worthy of your respect. The game is deep.If you learn the historyl, even of your own city, you will find a great deal of info in it..like what candy ink, really is. New york,signing out.

 

YES.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by cleansheets

REGULATOR-the reason for knowing your history is this- You want to claim and rock shit, well, there were tons before you, who rocked really hard, and in order for you to think you are someone in this game, you must know what they did, and you must come close or better, in order to gain respect. In the long run, without knowing your history, you will not know who ran the yards before you..like ARM,TDF,GF,ROT,MC,RSP,USC, laz,rewind,floyd,metal,dink,gears,king razor......these are crews and people you should know, ask your older brother or his friends, etc...For knowing what the hell you are trying to do now. If you don't know your past, you don't know your future.Respect the game you are playing.Learn the history of old bus line rockers, these people are worthy of your respect. The game is deep.If you learn the historyl, even of your own city, you will find a great deal of info in it..like what candy ink, really is. New york,signing out.

 

haha i see a point in that....i only wish i had someone who would teach me that shit....no one i kno has been writing for more than3 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×