winter writing/frozen finger

valek13

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm in the same situation right now...my boy is prone to frostbite, he got a mild case on his trigger finger even though we were wearing gloves...

What slows down the time my finger freezes is while you'rer switching caps, or picking up another color, or just any situation in which you're not using your trigger finger, put them inside your mouth breath warm air on them. ATT: this is with gloves, and if you paint without spitting shit all over you- you dont want to be eating paint.

Your fingers are still going to be cold but trust me, if you got some hot lungs like i do, you can slow down the process of that numbness...

Oh and I'm still to try those athlete hand warmers, i played baseball all my life and ive tried them before..just rub the small rag together and its warm as hell....for bombing its a way diff situation so i'd have to figure that out still, there might be ways of painting WITH that in ur glove...jus let me get a hold of some small tools...

g'luck...

when it was cold enough here, i just used semi-thin cotton gloves, and wore rubber finishing gloves over them. these are thicker than latex, but they have grips and very reusable. about the frozen fingers...just warm it with your breath, stick it in your pocket, and cry it off on the way home...or you could be a pussy and wait 'till spring ;)

every few minutes, stop and put your hands down your pants..let em warm back up for a sec, and start painting again.

i know it sounds ridiculous, but it works..i just did this the other night

it was about 10 degrees..i made it thru the piece even tho some of my paint froze.

i haven't triedany of the handwarmers so I can't comment, but I would reiterate investing in some nice gloves. I have some thin neoprene gloves that I used to use for cross country skiing, that have worked wonders. I even cut the tip on the pointer finger so I can fold the tip back and not worry about the tip getting in the paint flow.

Another obvious point - never wear latex when its cold out.

Guest deefiggah

its all about, walmart...

Remington Hunting gloves, 6layers of micro warm shit. works perfectly. never had a problem.

ABSTRACT GET ON AIM!!!

Defyone.ChicagoRock.

• 2 weeks later...

well ive really been thinking about this for a little while since its been cold.

its gonna get warm soon, so ill be able to work on my ideas all summer and be ready for next winter.

we all know that your hand gets cold faster because if your like me and have your cans in the trunk or in the bed of a truck (especially in the truck) they get cold, and that makes your hand freeze faster.

so the way i was thinking, is if you have a toolbox in your truck, or you could just do this in your trunk is put an electric blanket spread out back there, and lay the cans on top of it.

you can buy the converter box you hook up to your fuse box and can plug household style plugs into it for like less than 20 bucks.

if you dont want your cans rolling all over in your trunk, use one of those big tubs you can get at like walmart or whatever.

in the tool box of the truck, you can just line the box with the blanket and if you need to, divide off sections with ply wood or somethin, so you and your boys can put your paint in and not get your krylon fresh blue mixed with his rusto sand (helps alot when you have to grab your paint up to go bomb real quick).

and while your on the way to the yard or that bomb spot, your paint is warming up and will help keep your hand warm, keep the pressure up for an even flow for your outlines and junk like that.

now if your a walker/bikerider/subway cat, i might suggest a 9volt battery pack in your front pocket and a small heating pad that fits in your backpack on the pad that lays against your back.

this way, your paint stays warm, and since its on your back, it can help keep you warm as well.

gloves are kinda bad at times, considering it restricts your spray control and sometimes the gloves will channel the cold temperatures alot faster than just the open air could.

cotton gloves are good, but if paint seeps onto them, instead if getting paint on your fingers, it seeps into your skin and stains your fingers that color for days.

diver gloves sound really good.

the whole blanket/heating pad thing came about from when we were doing a commercial project in town and it was freezing cold and shit.

so i thought up an idea to get a icechest cooler and run a heating pad into it and slap an extension cord on that sucker and run it inside the building and have my paint stay warm while i was painting and shit.

i hadnt gotten a chance to do it yet. but yea.

it will all be finished and ready for next winter season.

hope i helped you all out some.

oh boy

just bomb the fucking city with throws and straights.things of that nature, instead of standing in a freezing yard trying to paint a 12 color piece on a fucking freight.its not worth it.you'll never see the freight again anyhow.just bomb the city, you dont even need gloves city bombing..dont waste ur time trying to paint 500 freights..and if you do what do u accomplish by going to a easy yard and being able to take your good ol time doing a stupid freight..cant you piece in your city streets? its not that hard

well in alot of places, scenes have evolved from the throws/simple straits styles.

there are a few here that still do hollows of 2 letters, and occassionally a fill in throw, but the hardcore kids here take it to the max and do at least 3 color peices for bombs. its all up to the writer i guess.

when im going big on shit, legal, bombing or fr8s, id rather my can be kinda warm, i mean, even if your going light speed, your hands still gonna get chilled, even with hunting gloves on.

just make the best of it and do whatever works for you.

if you think freezing your hand off while bombing is 'hardcore' and shit, thats your thing, but i say fuck that.

do your shit to the max and enjoy it.

as task says,

"just do your peice"

Re: oh boy

Originally posted by Nutonce

just bomb the fucking city with throws and straights.things of that nature, instead of standing in a freezing yard trying to paint a 12 color piece on a fucking freight.its not worth it.you'll never see the freight again anyhow.just bomb the city, you dont even need gloves city bombing..dont waste ur time trying to paint 500 freights..and if you do what do u accomplish by going to a easy yard and being able to take your good ol time doing a stupid freight..cant you piece in your city streets? its not that hard

hey to each his own. Obviously your not diggin the freight scene. I really don't dig the bombing scene though I still do it everyonce in a while. I'm not trying to say there is anything wrong with bombing so why are you trying to say there is something wrong with painting freights?

Re: Re: oh boy

Originally posted by Zack Morris

hey to each his own. Obviously your not diggin the freight scene. I really don't dig the bombing scene though I still do it everyonce in a while. I'm not trying to say there is anything wrong with bombing so why are you trying to say there is something wrong with painting freights?

my fault since it seems that way about something being wrong with freights.nothin is wrong with them.i just rather use the majority of my cans for bombing cities..yeah i hear you on bombing im like that..i dont dig the freight scene much but i still hit a few for fun...respect due.

thank you for the repect, its just your initial post sounded like you were trying to down the freight scene...I know what its like bombing...I just got tired of the same damn people in my city seeing it day after day...keep in mind there are maybe 10 writers in my city, and they are about the only people who give a fuck.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel you're pain. Springs almost on the way, and it's still like -20 degrees (celcius, you do the math). Right now that global warming shit doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Everyone try to empty a few aerosol cans towards the sky. Wait, that'll just fuck up the ozone layer won't it. Well it might work.

Archived