african freights

suburbian bum

I was reading my world studies text book last night and i saw a picture of this freight yard in Africa. They had different kind of cars but they looked simular to our ridged box cars here in america. Im guessing these probably have never been hit but i still found it interesting. It would be even cooler if these things ran the whole continent of Africa.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I don't have any facts. But I suspect that Africa lacks a wide-ranging rail network. Too many despotic governments changing hands, wars, disorganization, etc. for an evenly funded system. No doubt a handful of countries have their own systems, with the focus being on getting goods to the nearest coast for export.

I had read an old article about 5 years ago in an old "UP" mag from Sweden or somewhere in the Scandinavian part of the world............It was about this kid from Africa who painted out there (in Africa) and he had a really crafty little clean style and all.........he was talking about how their yards out there are guarded with fences and razorwire and armed guards and dogs if I remember correctly?!?! He said that too many people steal shit off the trains down there for parts on their own homemade transportation vehicles so the yards stay heavily guarded for that reason!:eek:

africa does have a freight system indeed, its smaller and not all countries are connected, alot are but alot arent. theyre older trains, and engines, as far as ive seem they havent been hit, well when i visited anyways. the trackwork is pretty shotty and not really up to standard. in some countries in northern africa you can talk to some shady people and get a ticket to "hop" the frieghts from country to country. ill look for some older images of mine and see what i can post up. this brings back memories.

• 1 month later...

Archived