ART/making your mark

SuburbianBrat

I've been struggling lately with what it is I consider to be my art. I see an underlying originality in it but it seems to be missing something. I often stop to think is this all crap? I'm surrounded everyday by these suck up emo-kids who do murals for the teachers to earn brownie points. But these are the kids who the colleges want and are in good with the art. dept.

Anyhow, has anyone had this continuous artists block of being undecided with your work, and not quite grasping what it needs?

I basically do low-brow collage style paintings with an occasional silk-screen.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest INDEPENDENZA

i feel the exact same way.

it may sound corny but instead of focusing on the media and the aesthetic, we should concentrate on the message, our role in art, what we have to say that others cant say...

if you are stressing here on what others see in your work...dont sweat it. my work is incredibly different than the other work the kids do at my school (and im not tossing around how incredible unique i am or anything...it just so happens i do a different form of art than they do). i think you shuold keep up with your work. keep doing new things always. i paint (not graffiti-wise) or whatever everyday of the week. art has become the most important thing in my life. i do my art so i can live forever...and if i dont...oops. art is the only reason why i enjoy life. blah blha i dont know where i am going with this...

I would say that I try to capture a mood in my painting using whatever I have around. I spend the majority of my time on my backgrounds which usually tend to set the mood. However I feel that it is when I go to add the subject that the problems come about. When i look at my work i immediatly feel something but i know it could be better ya know? Kinda like no matter who you screw the feeling is the same just sometimes it's better. I think that if I could tap into that thing that would make it better I would truely have something great and worthy of artistic merit.

Originally posted by DALI-LAMA

I would say that I try to capture a mood in my painting using whatever I have around. I spend the majority of my time on my backgrounds which usually tend to set the mood. However I feel that it is when I go to add the subject that the problems come about. When i look at my work i immediatly feel something but i know it could be better ya know? Kinda like no matter who you screw the feeling is the same just sometimes it's better. I think that if I could tap into that thing that would make it better I would truely have something great and worthy of artistic merit.

oddly enough...i would like to talk to you. i never wanted to talk to anyone on this board. do you have aim or anything?

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Next good painting you make, regardless of what it's about, drill four holes across the middle and screw some huge fucking half-inch nut-and-bolts through the holes. Why? I don't know why the fuck you'd do such a thing... but I do know that it's gonna make the painting be something you don't want or didn't expect, and THAT's where you get the true moments of enlightenment/inspiration/understanding.

Make something familiar and comfortable, then fuck it all up with the first thing that comes to mind. Trust me, it works. Beer,

El Mamerro

yeah exactly...when i do paintings...geez...i go crazy. whatever i have around me goes on there. ill draw on the surface, throw tape on there, put holes in it, tape things to it...who cares.

in the end...the stuff i liked from the start isnt there or its half there....or maybe it is there...but overall thats what i love. its like life. you like things about life. in the end...you may have finally experineced them...or maybe only half experineced them...or maybe you didnt. i love art. i love destruction. i love the art of destruction. i love destryoing things i hate and love because its what i love and i love to destroy what i love and hate and so on and so on...

I try to use different mediums in the same piece(drawing,canvas...whatever)..and yeah,I usually paint with whatever is happening in my life at that moment...I studied at college for 4 years and still don't know my full potential-you never stop learning-what you create is your "art"...regardless if you sew or build houses...you create something with your hands and your soul..and that is what counts..you must produce something for yourself before you worry about what someone else thinks of it...I have always liked drawing paper bags..and make it look like a black and white print-graphite pencils work great for this...for me,it's fun.keep it up...an artists' mentality is hard to deal with most times and it's because you see things in a different light-sometimes I get headaches from thinking about what to do next..I don't know..take one day at a time and see where it takes you.later.;)

Okay so heres the deal...

everything I learned about painting and drawing came from graff, never once have I taken a class for technique. Now in art school I hate to bring in anything that can visually be compared with graff (painting drawing sculpture), simply because I feel uncomfortable discussing my work with people who have no fucking idea where I am coming from.

But I do the same shit sometimes when I look at a fellow students work and have no idea where the fuck they are coming from either because they are caught up in the art school way too much (language and theory bullshit)

I wonder now what can I possibly do so that any joe who walks up to my work can understand what the fuck its about.

Art does not belong in graffiti. Graffiti does not belong in art. Graffiti is not art but a representation of how fucked up art can be.

Originally posted by daus

Okay so heres the deal...

everything I learned about painting and drawing came from graff, never once have I taken a class for technique. Now in art school I hate to bring in anything that can visually be compared with graff (painting drawing sculpture), simply because I feel uncomfortable discussing my work with people who have no fucking idea where I am coming from.

But I do the same shit sometimes when I look at a fellow students work and have no idea where the fuck they are coming from either because they are caught up in the art school way too much (language and theory bullshit)

I wonder now what can I possibly do so that any joe who walks up to my work can understand what the fuck its about.

Art does not belong in graffiti. Graffiti does not belong in art. Graffiti is not art but a representation of how fucked up art can be.

dood...im totally on the same level as you. shit i tihnk we need to branch off 12oz and start an artists group. jeeez.

one of my main goals with art is to show people graffiti where they dont see it most and to make them aware of what the fuck it is and that they cant escape it if they dont like it. shit on their face. graffiti is the whole reason why i got into art and art is my whole reason for living. i see no shame in hiding my graffiti influence. fuckin awesome

Re: MAKRO!!

Originally posted by Ms.Bombastic

IS IT THE END OF THE WORLD??

I've never seen you talk so much, what the hell is going on?

Are you drunk?High? Just got laid?

I can't believe it

I DONT KNOW EITHER!?

am i even makros? who is makros? what the fuck is makros?

I FUCKING LOVE BEING ALIVE!

robot frenzy!!

Smart dropped this quote in another thread:

"Beware of who you pretend to be."

I'd meditate on that - not just a couple seconds, but quite a while. It may pertain to your dissatisfaction or lack of direction in your art.

I'm not a fan of art on demand. It's fine to do a "project" whose goal is to improve your technique, which is often what is asked of you in art school, especially early on in foundation classes. But once your technique is adequate, what are you trying to say? What's in your soul that demands you mess with media? Or are you pretending to be an artist?

Guest Pilau Hands

graffiti is unique in that it's supposed to be free

no money for materials, canvas, nothing

i recently saw a show where the artist didn't spend one dollar on canvas. everything in the show was street signs, and refrigerators, cars, etc. great work. fun fun silly willy.

i am pretending to be an artist.

robot frenzy!!

oh my god hahahahahahaha

Archived