there's no east palestine thread?!

Elena Delle Donne

you guys have fallen off. i would've expected five pages of insanity here at least. 

i don't have any big takes here though. i think you can see a clear through line between the los angeles train break-ins, the rail strike that almost happened, and this, which is that the railroads are singularly focused on cutting their operating costs to find stock buybacks. nothing else explains how cheap the american class 1 railroad is... nothing.

even in painting freight graffiti, yards around me are lower stakes. workers don't care like they used to. more trespassing by random people, more junk on the tracks. 

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i worry for family/friends in northeast ohio and western pa, we're not gonna know the consequences for a long time.

east palestine is poor. rural. but folks there know the history of the region, which is exactly like this incident: big industry pays politicians to get elected. "creates jobs" etc etc you know the lines. big industry fucks up. big industry assures everyone that this is fine, politicians repeat it. people realize their wells and homes are poisoned. 

• Like 2

the other angle that not enough people are talking about... all the hazmat cars that derailed have to do with the plastics industry. the biggest issue of our lifetimes will be using less of it and disposing of what we have. don't think for a minute that it's not just as bad that we incinerate tons and tons of waste plastics of all kinds every day. 

richly ironic that it  happened 30-odd miles from the nations newest plastic factory of sorts, the ethylene cracker in monaca pa  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

the other angle that not enough people are talking about... all the hazmat cars that derailed have to do with the plastics industry. the biggest issue of our lifetimes will be using less of it and disposing of what we have. don't think for a minute that it's not just as bad that we incinerate tons and tons of waste plastics of all kinds every day. 

richly ironic that it  happened 30-odd miles from the nations newest plastic factory of sorts, the ethylene cracker in monaca pa  

If you're ever bored and want to see what some terrible industrial incidents look like the CSB (Chemical Safety Board) posts investigation videos.  So many of them are just down to completely neglected safety interlocks and eroded regulations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

The rest of us haven't built up an immunity to toxic waste yet, king.

Norfolk Southern is playing the long game with us.

image.thumb.png.1843b29b988184402cd35909d141ac83.png

Slow and steady wins the race.

And yes that is a water treatment plant next to the largest coal processing terminal in the US.

image.thumb.png.d255f8186a6a8d487e7db959cf4c097f.pngWa

Edited by grim540
  • Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

35 minutes ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

i feel like there's too much atmospheric movement to keep acid rain there, but i am not knowledgeable at all on the science behind this 

Im sure I'm good. In the concentration that large plume of black smoke was, I'm sure that shit was terrible. Spread out over 10s of thousands of square miles, not as bad. I did watch a video of some scientific weather jerk off was recording air quality and has been doing so every day for his job for the past 20 years. He said he had never recorded numbers as high all up and down the east coast as after the wind blew that black smoke cloud on over. Then the rain douched us in that shit. Maybe it all blew out to sea before the rain came. We'll never know. 

On 3/6/2023 at 10:22 AM, Dark_Knight said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/05/us/ohio-train-derailment.html

another one 

ohios freight scene goes so hard.

it is good that americans are being reminded that trains, broadly speaking, derail all the time. it's mostly minor but the risk of something much worse is pretty important!

• Truth 1