obey/giant shoes

cese

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by juggernaut

merchandizing like a disney movie...

:confused:

god, so many people in my city wear obey Tshirts nowadays. its disturbing. i saw an MTV clip where they show Shep wheatpasting. Its amazing how just one person can make a living from street art

Guest blood as ink

anyone remember the jnco "graff shoes for true writers"...what a joke...shepard fairy is all about making money it seems these days...fuck em.

Guest BROWNer

i think people completely misunderstand shepherd

and the obey phenomenon. i think thats dope for

him...i bet he sits back every once in awhile and

laughs his ass off......shit eating grin steez:cool:

i think alot of people are into graffiti for fame yet when someone starts achieving something like this they just start getting dissed left right and center.

i hate Obey i like how all the 'cool' skate and clothing shops around here sell it now, i remember about 6 months ago i went into a shop around here called 'interstate' (<-- i hate this place) cause i saw an Obey shirt hanging on the wall, i went in and defyed anyone in there to tell me what Obey was all about, everyone in there just thought it was a clothing company, i told them it was propaganda, they had no clue what i was talking about as im sure most people who wear it do. i laugh when i see someone sporting it, 'yeaaa i wear propaganda, and dont even know it!'

Guest catwash
Originally posted by NATO

i think alot of people are into graffiti for fame yet when someone starts achieving something like this they just start getting dissed left right and center.

theres a huge difference between personal fame and whoring your artwork to corporate media fuckwits in their moleskin shoes and power buzz words. still, good luck to him - selling his work to the ignorant trendy 'in' crowd.

It may look like selling out, but look how big it has become. Not only are there Andre the Giant posters all over cities, now the propoganda is all over people. It's one thing to just get an image in people's heads and have them remeber it, it's another to brainwash them into buying it.

this is a touchy subject. is selling a hoody with a 3" x 1.5" screen print on it for like 55 dollars selling out? when does one cross the line? cargo shorts with a tiny tag on them? underwear with andre's face on the crotch? action figures? i guess everyone has to get thier hustle on.

touchy subject indeed..

i don't know what to make of this whole "sellout" situation. shepards obviously selling out hardcore, whoring his images to anybody willing to buy, but i think he really may be trying to blow this thing out to absurd size just to see how far he can push it, therefore not really selling out.

he's not really one for livin' it up, so i don't think money is his motive, but then again where the fuck is all the dough going?? i mean, he was more up like 2 years ago when he was making much less money. supposedly it all goes back into the "movement" or whatever, but i really doubt it. the large sums of money he's making would buy literally billions of stickers and posters...

either way, fuggit. who are we to speculate and shit talk?

i cant stand the haterism that people get when they start making money. Why? Making money at something you love. He hasn't comprimised his artistic integrity in any way. He hasn't comformed his shit to appeal to the masses. Almost everyone on here acts like working at Taco bell making $250 a week is the greatest shit on earth. If you were just out doing your thing and people really started diggin it and wanted to buy it even if they dont understand the meaning behind it i believe you would do the same thing. Unless you're so underground that you haven't seen the sun in years. Some of yall are crazy.

Guest willy.wonka

i know what its like to wanna make money,but i just remember the interview with the guy who started this whole thing...he said,"its a label that doesnt make money..it doesnt belong to anybody....thats why the corps get so mad"...bla bla bla...

then the first sign of it hitting the mainstream...good GOD what is that sign doing on Mtv?!

pretty soon you'll see some up coming "band" getting sponsered by OBEY...

my impression was just that shep was trying to make an icon that didn't mean anything that everyone would remember.... like using our societies obsession with corporate identity to his own advantage... which is cool... but i think that the majority of people out there are too stupid to get it and they just buy it because they saw it on mtv... i think shep accomplished what he set out to do in some degree... but in other ways i think his art work is getting played out and doesn't have that much meaning anymore... which is important because his art isn't that cool to look at so all you got is meaning... if he makes money off of stupid people i don't see a problem with it i guess... i just think his shit is played out...

and those shoes look like they were engineered for pussies... haha

Archived