Same name as another artist

Grm

hey so I’m about 3 years into this with the same name, “GERM” for at-least 2 years, and I feel like a bit of a twat because I just did some research today and found that there’s already a graff artist with the name “GERMS” who is a bit of a legend in the Bay Area… I’m living in Germany and my style is so far from this artist, based around San Francisco, and this leads me to the question, do I need to change my tag, or is it not that deep on this occasion?

(i feel I could’ve put this in any of the graffiti sub forums on here because the question is really aimed at anyone who’s been in the game for a while and knows what they’re talking about) (little new to the site forgive me if I did this wrong, u can feel free to advise me on that too) 

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@GrmI moved your thread to a more appropriate location.

I’m sure there are at least a couple of other people writing a variation of that word in the world. Does it matter? Not really. That being said, Germs EMT is going to be the one everybody recognizes and has respect for.

@Grm

I share a name with a guy who is currently kinging New York many times over and is (rightly) being lauded all over instagram.

And about 18 years ago I was in Stockholm photographing pieces by a person who'd come up with the same name as me and done some tracksides with it.

While I was taking some photos a Swedish kid came up and asked me why I was taking pics. I then  told him what I wrote and he wigged out because it was him. We made vague plans to meet up but I could not get his phone number to work from my phone. Would have made a great battle.

I've been writing the name 21 years and I'm not going to change.
If somebody in your country gets the name up on trains maybe switch it up but who cares when theyr're 9000 miles away.

• Like 3
  • Props 2

On 9/18/2022 at 7:34 PM, LUGR said:

Hopefully, you stick around and use this forum as a resource and contribute along the way.

I do believe I will, even if I mostly hover. How long have you been using the site? Noticed it’s been around for a good while. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

On 9/27/2022 at 2:37 AM, mr.yuck said:

Chances are good that any variation of 3 and 4 letters has been attempted by some one else  at this point. I think that's why we are starting to see people write shit like 'hockey mask'. No ones accidentally like 'I wonder if hockey mask is taken.' lol

Haha true say. I’m sure it’ll lead to some interesting ones in the future… maybe Latin names of bugs or cable names or something, wouldn’t surprise me if there was a HDMI out there already

• Truth 1

On 10/1/2022 at 1:31 PM, Grm said:

Haha true say. I’m sure it’ll lead to some interesting ones in the future… maybe Latin names of bugs or cable names or something, wouldn’t surprise me if there was a HDMI out there already

Someone is writing HTTP around where I’m at. We’ve got a .com, a Bitcoin, a Petco and a few years ago I was seeing (props for this one) “Ghoul cum”. The future is going to be full of weird graff names. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You have any idea how many people out there write Joker? I doubt it's the most popular name but it's definitely up there. I might as well write John Smith. 

If you think about the 'hard & fast' rule of giving yourself a name, the history of why your choice is important, the rule stems from a time when the rules were being made. A time when there was maybe a few thousand writers. Cut to now... we have millions of writers out there. So having the same name as another writer - one city away or one country away - is highly likely. 

Of course you could tap into the old school naming convention of adding a number to your name. GERM23, GRM4, for example. You can use the Graffiti classic - the street number you live on  (if that applies to you), or you can use a favorite number, your age, a number that has relevance to you or a moment in time, etc..

@GrmAll that said - I think what matters most is what you do with the name. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

On 10/20/2022 at 10:11 PM, Joker said:

You have any idea how many people out there write Joker? I doubt it's the most popular name but it's definitely up there. I might as well write John Smith. 

If you think about the 'hard & fast' rule of giving yourself a name, the history of why your choice is important, the rule stems from a time when the rules were being made. A time when there was maybe a few thousand writers. Cut to now... we have millions of writers out there. So having the same name as another writer - one city away or one country away - is highly likely. 

Of course you could tap into the old school naming convention of adding a number to your name. GERM23, GRM4, for example. You can use the Graffiti classic - the street number you live on  (if that applies to you), or you can use a favorite number, your age, a number that has relevance to you or a moment in time, etc..

@GrmAll that said - I think what matters most is what you do with the name. 

Hey man thanks for taking the time. I like the sound of dabbling with numbers actually, that’s some solid advice.  I agree with what you said at the end too, and I am having really a lot of fun with the name at the moment, so I can see myself carrying it for a while.