The Brand is Dead

the.crooked

Surprised none of the old heads had started a thread about this yet.

Sad to see one of our old own lose their show (although it seems to be a specific choice).

From 12oz to victorylight.blogspot to podcasts to Viceland to Showtime.

Still big ups to MERO for making me laugh for fucking years.

• Like 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i'm really optimistic for him and desus. their show was produced and written but rarely came off like a lot of talk shows in that vein — especially other " "urban" " demographic talk shows. lot of those are overproduced and hard to watch. these two had real chemistry. i feel like they were inspirational to a generation of would-be entertainers, their trajectory was incredible. 

i can't imagine what it's like to have a friendship scripted and produced every week. it's a tough choice, are you gonna walk away from a big check with your friend? even knowing what you're risking? i think every show/podcast goes through a version of this. the joe budden podcast just did this. mixing business and friendship always gets messy. 

best of luck to both of them, truly 

Edited by Elena Delle Donne
  • Like 1

I enjoyed Mero on the forum and Victorylight was fucking great. 

I never really watched his shit once he was prime time. I would see the ocassional clip somewhere and lolz because “its a dude that used to chop it on oontz”.

Dude is funny and obviously charismatic so I am sure he will show up somewhere soon enough. 

Too bad he didnt rock a 12oz Tee or have a sticker on the set - would have been hella traffic but dude is smart that shit would have also fed into cancel culture.

He will probably end up getting paid for making people laugh somehow. Dude should try stand up….

Edited by fat ralphy

It makes sense cause the ghetto.

Not someone = I saw or heard someone/somebody/persons/people say with added hyperbole.

I only really know the valley California version pre internet so it probably means something else and got popular from a different place.

I just found out WTF boolin is today from my neckbeard coworker who grew up on a farm..

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

On 7/20/2022 at 12:14 AM, the.crooked said:

From what I understand he's been gettin blazed and playin video games with his kids on twitch, which... honestly seems like the most wholesome outcome for ol boy.

Desus is doing a trial run on Kimmel during his sabbatical, he's gonna do just fine too.

Whaaat?! I heard about the demise but not about this part. Was kinda wondering what dude was gonna do since it looks like mero had the better setup up after doing some acting. Either way what a fucking bummer man. Idfk why mf’s always gotta kill a good thing. I never listened to the podcast outside of a couple of times but I wonder if anything was addressed there. 

Still hella pissed that mf didn’t have a single 12oz sticker on deck. Nothin. But whatever. 

• Truth 1

On 7/25/2022 at 12:28 PM, metronome said:

What was wild to me was seeing ppl I know IRL who are way far from graffiti being into D&M podcast and showtime.  So weird for the paths to cross. 

Graffiti and civilian paths are like one giant bike lane now. It’s fuckin lame. Not sure what’s wrong with me rn I’m not big on hating on folks lolol. 

sucks about their fall out but they'll both be just fine.. "allegedly" alot if not most of it stems from some shit with their manager/friend.. i guess showtime asked him to stop coming to tapings and reads or whatever cause they got mad complaints from employees of him being a dick and yelling at people and just being an asshole overall.. mero was sticking with their homie, desus understood where showtime was coming from and was ok with it.. i guess the real question is, given the situation if this is indeed what happened with their fallout, how would you play it out? give up a brand you built for a homie who could potentially ruin it and other upcoming endeavors and stick by his side cause he was there since day one..? or have him step down a peg or two, re-evaluate some things and keep it moving forward? tough call honestly.. sometimes staying loyal to certain people will close certain doors and opportunities for you because of the company you keep..

idk.. either way I hope the best for them both..

• Truth 1

3 hours ago, Tails0nE said:

sometimes staying loyal to certain people will close certain doors and opportunities for you because of the company you keep..

This is for certain... a bad example of this is an old employer of mine; The CCO's buddy was given a job with a company as CEO, brought along all his employees that were hard core loyal to him (like 3-5 guys).  Long story short they guy was not CEO material and the company wasn't doing so good, investors were getting upset.  Fired the guy and all of his loyal fans. 

None of the above surprises me, met the guy, wasn't the most intelligent for one, two, he ripped off all kinds of products (reverse engineered) and made cheaper versions with inexperienced people at the trade.  I guess he took that crap with him, thinking the "Fake it 'til You make it" thing was gonna work...

But this Mero/Duses thing can be repairable.  Probably not getting back to another show on another network, just wouldn't be the same, kinda like bands and stuff, * lead singer dyes, some new guy/gal/goat/tranny (the auto kind) that sounds like him replaces him/her/they/them...  Sounds kinds Alice N Chains familiar ? 

Anyhow,  I am sure they will go on their separate ways, develop their own brands, may be successful or not, or just one a second success and the other not...  ??

• Truth 1

20 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

@Tails0nEfirst and foremost, welcome back man. That's all true though. It's a hard lesson to learn about the company you keep. I was in my early 30s before I realized that there's just some places I can't bring people that don't have table manners.

glad to be back.. lifes been wiggity-wiggity wack lately but im still kickin..

also its funny you say that cause i just had that epiphany recently on my bday out of all days.. very close friend i consider a "brother" came by on my bday weekend to go out and about.. havent really hung out with him in years like that so thought itd be fun.. showed up already a pint of vodka and redbull in a gatorade bottle almost empty, went out to eat and get a couple drinks, didnt eat, drank 4 long islands.. went to a bar down the street to play pool, 3 more vodka redbulls and clearly drunk as hell.. went to the dispensary next door while he had another redbull vodka and had to deal with him being pissed he lossed his sunglasses.. go home to see my girl and smoke, went back out to meet up coworkers at a bar and he couldnt hang.. he was also super obnoxious and arrogant the whole night even to my other peoples saying, "im above this, im above all yall.. yall dont get it im above this shit" and other things like "man you cant make it without me you need me bro.. without me you aint gonna make it" which was super off putting in general.. oh also... didnt have money... so i had to pay for everything and it took him almost a month to pay me back cause he doesnt have a bank account just cash and excuse after excuse.. he paid me back eventually but it definitely made me realize that this person could potentially hold me back if i bring him around my inner circle of things im trying to accomplish since he seems to still be perpetually living the glory days back in 2008 or so.. still love him to death but after that i might need to keep some distance for a bit..

• Like 2
  • Truth 3

• 4 weeks later...