How old is graf

miz303

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest REMY-MARTIN
Originally posted by seeking innocence

anytime somedone mentiones taki, you know they have no real clue what they're talking about...

taki was no where near the first person to write... he just got lucky when a reporter looked out his window, saw his name, and decided to write about graffiti... thats why taki is famous, not for 'starting' anything...

i thought Taki was famous for getting his name up all over the city of new york

Originally posted by Slickminded

GRAF HAS BEEN AROUND LONGER THEN ANY OF US HAVE BEEN ALIVE.GRAF DATES BACK TO B.C.....

i know this is a stupid topic but jesus people, how can graffiti possibly be that old? If cave paintings are graff, then there is no such thing as "art" as we know it and it's all graffiti. THINK.

Originally posted by blahblahblah

"graff has been around since people have"

let me explain why this is bullshit. When "people" were at there humble beginnings, they didn't exactly have the mental capacity to do simple tasks, much less graffiti. I'm defining graffiti here as some writing of a nickname or a phrase, done illegally for the purpose of being seen. Do you honestly believe people who were struggling to survive as a species were worried about being recognized by the few scattered band of humans?

The cave paintings of Lascaux and other places are paintings and nothing more. "fine art", if you could call it that, is in no way graffiti.

Also, there was no such thing as ownership so there is no way graffiti could have existed until there were laws to say "you can not write on this".

yeah, I notice people like you HATE when anyone suggests MAYBE graf had origins other than/in addition to new york. I bet you like the term art fag too.

ahem

graffiti: from Italian *graffito* to scribble, from Greek *graphein* to draw, write

this refers to writing etched into walls in ancient greek sites, with names and occasional messages. theres a famous one that says "we buggered the Persians here". They even etched characters. It was illeagal too. The idea of wildstyle isn't that far away from celtic knotwork in the book of Kells

Now feel free to whine about how graf is more than art etc., but its not exactly a HUGE departure from the above, is it? I think its REALLY arrogant to claim to be an independant subculture after a space of thirty, forty, fifty or even a hundred years. I agree with the topic starter, this is an artform in its infancy.

Originally posted by bodice_ripper

yeah, I notice people like you HATE when anyone suggests MAYBE graf had origins other than/in addition to new york. I bet you like the term art fag too.

ahem

graffiti: from Italian *graffito* to scribble, from Greek *graphein* to draw, write

this refers to writing etched into walls in ancient greek sites, with names and occasional messages. theres a famous one that says "we buggered the Persians here". They even etched characters. It was illeagal too. The idea of wildstyle isn't that far away from celtic knotwork in the book of Kells

Now feel free to whine about how graf is more than art etc., but its not exactly a HUGE departure from the above, is it? I think its REALLY arrogant to claim to be an independant subculture after a space of thirty, forty, fifty or even a hundred years. I agree with the topic starter, this is an artform in its infancy.

i wrote a big reply to this but i deleted it. Obviously you didn't read my post at all or you took it upon yourself and missinterprited what i said really badly.

goodbye bodice ripper, enjoy your icecream!

• 2 weeks later...

Im my opinion real graffity started in the 70's, when people put up their tag in paint or marker or whatever. Graffity in the 30's and the old times isn't the same kind of graffity that we do today, it was political, there weren't crews or spraypaint or peeps with tags. And old cave paintings isn't graffity...come on what the fuck. Anywho thats my opinion.

• 8 months later...

The whole caveman thing is all speculative. That was most likely just art. But people have been CARVING there names into rocks and trees for a long time as a way to get a type of "fame" or just say "I was here". As a little kid I carved my name into a bench and didnt know anything about new york shit. I never though of perfecting it, or making a career out of it.

Originally posted by miz303

If it started around 1970 its about 30 years old so that makes it a baby in art terms right? Its only the beginning! So how could peolpe sit there and say its dead when there is still more things to organize and take over? So this thread is for the people who know graf will be around til we go to another planet then it will be about bombing that moon with a spray truck, what.........nwo bring back goldberg..........peace 303

first off it didnt start in the 70 the true answer to this qustion is the begining of time or since the cave men have been writing on walls. graffiti. just do a little reasearch and you'll see what i mean graff means many things to so you should be more specific in what type of graff you mean.

Archived