2:02 AM 2/02/02

Cracked Ass

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I hung out with this girl for the second time, like a date/hang out type thing. She turned out to be alot more then what i expected of her. She's.........................................yeah. Fucking awesome person.

The president is in deep admiration oh this woman.

And i also bought the simpsons trivia game.........fucking rock. The only thing better would be , eh, what the fuck ..........i had more then my fair share right about now.

Cracked is obsessed with numbers... have I ever mentioned how the time 3:33 seems to plauge me?

Actually... Cracked, what do you know about music theory? Have you ever heard of a system called 'set theory'? It's like the geometric set notation or something, mainly it's too mathmatical for me, and I understand classical theory, but, I've found quite a few sites about this set theory.

Guest MR BOJANGLES

i always look at the clock when its at 3:04 (like "hoe" upside down on a pager/digital number anything) or at 11:34 also (hell)

I'm foggy on set theory, but I have music theory down - mixolydian and harmonic minor scales and chord construction and all that. (I don't have it translated fluently to the guitar - I can play any chord you name, but I'll have to write shit out on paper and then find a voicing on the guitar, which could take as long as 15 minutes - not exactly jam session speed.)

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with numbers, but on a digital clock 12:34 looks like HEZI upside down.

Guest MR BOJANGLES

but heres one for numbers also,

i was born on december 13th, the time was 2:13p.m., in room 313...ooooh scarrrryyyyyy!!! and my first graff crew that ever linked me up was 113!

ok, you continue to be 'not obsessed with numbers' and continue to memorize the HazMat calsses, whatever... 15 minutes is a long time to go from paper to fretboard, and voicing is a tricky thing... still... I'll email a couple links in the next day or so, seriously, it's too involved for me, if you can use it, more power to ya, but if not, I won't think any less...

so you know some scales, perhaps modes, but can you use a 'triadic approach'? Have you tackled arpeggios? Do you have a handle on chord substitution? From your self characterizations, I thought you were more of a 'banger'. The kind who can read tablature and hear rhythms. I mean, don't think I've missed your Holdsworth references and such, I'm just sayin, I quit while I was momentarilly ahead in Scrabble and I won't even try you on Chess, but, we gotta hook up on a theory con-fab...

Guest MR BOJANGLES
Originally posted by Smart

when you have your own house, and you're going to bed early and sober, so you can keep said house, I want you to remember that you said that...

amen!...well, maybe not the sober part.

I can do arpeggios. I'm familiar with triads. I read Ted Greene's book "Chord Chemistry" and I understand the basics of chord substitution. ALL ON PAPER. I cannot rock that shit on the guitar in any kind of improvisational way. I know the theory, but practice is another matter entirely. That's what I'm trying to communicate. It would take me a lot of scribbling and diagrams to work out chord substitutions, and hours of trying them out till it sounded right (for one song). In fact, I could probably do it faster by trial and error by ear, but still nowhere fast enough to be a versatile jam partner.

I'd rather rock out with some drop-D power chords and heavily distorted soloing in minor or Phrygian, and inject variety in the form of time changes and interludes rather than intricate chording or voice leading. (See "Helmet" for how this is done to my satisfaction.)

yeah, I know what you'd 'rather' do but can you count 7/4? I think that as much as you want to say that you would take hours to 'add it up' I bet you'd walk away with more understanding of music as a whole than home study on erratic time signatures... the beauty of music is the opportunity to be an idiot savant, you may inderstand what you're doing musically but also be totally lost ryhthmically, not that I'm not in this boat but... time signatures can be easily fucked with on the 'feel' level but I think eventually, when you want to 'create' feel it may leave you wanting... kind of like skipping simples. The other thing is, for rhythmic study, a drummer is nearly essential...

on the flip side, knowing scales,arps and such, can you effectively analyze a piece? Are you able to call keys from ear? Can you breakdown a solo? It's tough, and only half the deal. I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be, mainly because of my sloppiness in my ear training but... I'm mainly trying to offer you avenues, while simeltaneously pushing my continuous realization of your abilities and knowledge...

basically, one day, we gotta jam...

You fools missed it!!

Oh well I get sole credit for being on point.

Smart, your endless barrage of questions is wearing on me...I confess...I haven't been playing much at all in the last year, and I'm rusty even on the easy stuff. The reason is, I played by myself for ten years, only got to jam a couple times with others, and basically gave up because I've done as much as I'm inspired to do by myself, and won't progress if I can't play with a drummer and a bassist. I put up flyers, talked to people at shows, all for nothing. Nobody ever wanted to play with poor Mr. Cracked. Until they do, or until I'm suddenly wealthy enough to learn all the other instruments and do everything by myself on a 4-track, music is on the back burner. And it bothers me. So knock it off with the 3rd degree about my crumbling skills.

Where the hell are you anyway, and what's the cost of rent in that area? Hit me on email or something. (My old email starting with g is no longer valid, lemme know if you need the newer one.)

And no, I can't call shit by ear, and I can't handle 5/4, never mind 7/4.

Archived