New Sri Lankan PM reveals country is $50b in debt and out of fuel, turmoil ensues

KILZ FILLZ

https://www.ft.com/content/89dea1c0-0b01-42c5-82ce-e27ac3eb410d

Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, an unpopular veteran leader who was appointed last week by his longtime rival Rajapaksa, said on Monday that the island was struggling to find dollars to replenish its dwindling fuel supplies. “It is a challenge for the Treasury to find $1mn,” he said in a televised address. “The next couple of months will be the most difficult of our lives. We must prepare ourselves to make sacrifices.”

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This thread headline reminds me of Brunei and if or when they will suffer the same fate.  The reality of countries in turmoil for whatever reason, it's those who are in high places basically jump ship and let the city burn as they play the fiddle elsewhere.  

I suppose when these countries need bailouts, I wouldn't be so niev to not think CCP would try to capitalize on the situation in efforts to extend their reach at becoming the new super power to feed to their global domination.  However, but if a land mass (country) does have any useful resources then what's the point in pursuing or bailing out something that doesn't have a long term payout.  

Curious to see what's going to happen with Sri Lanka as in We the People Sri Lanka.

• 1 month later...

still poppin off

https://apnews.com/article/sri-lanka-colombo-ranil-wickremesinghe-government-and-politics-fdd518c76dbaf0e4a5b0af0028b10820

Protesters remained in President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s residence, his seaside office and the prime minister’s official home, which they stormed on Saturday demanding the two leaders step down. It marked the most dramatic day of protests during three months of a relentless crisis that has pushed many to the brink to despair amid acute shortages of fuel, food, medicine and other necessities. 

Looks like the PM is resigning Wednesday.  Doesn't look like he's gonna eat his own words and 'make sacrifices'.  Probably gonna meet up with his family at one of their global residences and live happily affluent forever.   

• Truth 1

30 minutes ago, ndv said:

LOL...  Not enough resources for ROI.

He should buy it and get rid of that God awful colonizer national anthem of theirs. Replace it with a bunch of laser sounds. Put his face on all their money and pull his evil richboi shenanigans from a secret island like a true villain.

• Truth 1

24 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

He should buy it and get rid of that God awful colonizer national anthem of theirs. Replace it with a bunch of laser sounds. Put his face on all their money and pull his evil richboi shenanigans from a secret island like a true villain.

I didn't think of it that way,  then I guess at what point would a ROI be in this case.  Somethings money just can't buy.  And a piece of mind knowing your a villain on an island that is useless is priceless.   There's gotta be NFT opportunity there too.  Maybe a digital Sri Lanka key chain like the ones in gift shops.  

Sri Lanka, the first country to convert over to the metaverse. 

Just thought of something.  From now on when countries go bankrupt they shouldn't be bailed out anymore and placed in the metaverse.  All physical contact should be banned and the people of the the country under the meta-law will have to go through the metaverse for all contact of any form.  They will get their own crypto but it's gonna be backed by its NFT key chain Bonds. 

The future is here!  

Edited by ndv
  • LOL! 1

I love this bold new vision for Sri Lanka. Musk could literally start a fire at one end of the island, hook up a series of treadmills that are wired to large pumps that would shoot streams of water at the massive blaze, holding it at bay. He could siphon off all of the excess electricity and use it to mine Bitcoin. 

• Truth 1