Mercedes-Benz concept EV completes 1000 km/621mi drive on single charge

KILZ FILLZ

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a39714749/mercedes-benz-eqxx-621-mile-road-trip/

031BD1B1-3699-4044-A531-5F5FCCE9AC92.webp.92b7a3a49a6d11d484a1cdb04254cad5.webp

B2488FC1-868A-4EFD-A882-8F13AAA61E1E.webp.6d13ea56b5108817e5dcd17de3824aa2.webp

AEE6A1DB-FA16-4F3E-B1DA-D860B0A1E668.webp.2238a123254146573ffacd0041b8c048.webp

Mercedes-Benz is rightly glorying in the fact that it drove its Vision EQXX battery-electric concept over 621 miles (1000 kilometers) on a single charge. The feat took place on real roads from Stuttgart, Germany, to Cassis, France, in early spring weather ranging from 37 to 64 degrees Fahrenheit, at an average speed of 53 miles per hour. That middling speed was no hypermiling; the route included autobahn stints with extensive cruising at up to 87 mph, offset by Europe's congested urban traffic.

The automaker believes "efficiency is the new currency" in an EV-focused world, so engineers relentlessly hunted aerodynamic and mechanical savings. The battery, developed in-house, weighs just 1091 pounds—37 percent of the weight of the 212.0-kWh battery in the 2022 GMC Hummer EV. The rear track is two inches narrower than the front track to keep the rear tires out of the airstream, an otherwise ungainly stance that is hidden by clever body design. The roof-mounted solar panel is fashioned from a lightweight composite. 3D-printed structural members improve strength while shedding weight. The active rear diffuser extends 7.8 inches at 37 miles per hour. 

• Like 2
  • Props 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Few people who actually give it some thought would find a luxury car with 600+ miles of range as useful as one with an option to exploit the supercharger network. I mean if you could afford that car, and can afford to drive 600 mile day trips regularly, you need to reprioritize your time.

I'd say with the F150 lightning, 600 miles would be a perfect max just to increase haul/cargo capacity when needed between overnight charges at home. Road trips aren't much of a priority for a work truck. Luxury cars though, there's literally nothing better to road trip in unless it's a camper.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Few people who actually give it some thought would find a luxury car with 600+ miles of range as useful as one with an option to exploit the supercharger network. I mean if you could afford that car, and can afford to drive 600 mile day trips regularly, you need to reprioritize your time.

I'd say with the F150 lightning, 600 miles would be a perfect max just to increase haul/cargo capacity when needed between overnight charges at home. Road trips aren't much of a priority for a work truck. Luxury cars though, there's literally nothing better to road trip in unless it's a camper.  

I think this concept will disappear into nothingness like most other concepts. I think I agree with you, if you can drop $200k car, you’re not very concerned with range or fuel, you’re flexxxxing 💪 

whats exciting about this for me, is they are showing something like this can be done and is possible. Now that other engineers know it’s possible, it’ll be easier for them to push through too. Kinda like how once Tony Hawk did the 900 other skaters started doing it left and right and now it’s not even a huge deal anymore. 

• Truth 3

I see the point Mercer and you, Kilz make.  Amd with that being factored in, I see this more so as a sales point to really get consumers entertaining the thought of EV as range is the one of the biggest factors WHT most people do make the switch from combustion.  With that being said, most people couldn't switch because there was no other option for propulsion.  

What I do see for benz is the underlying business stream in selling their batteries to other auto makers, just as some automakers sell engines to other automakers e.g. Ferrari to Maserati (but that contract ended last year, I think).

As for functionality like hauling most people really do not buy cars for what they need but more so what they want.  Kinda like pickup trucks, most people just want them but really never use them for what there're intended for.  

If that makes any sense.  

But ya, pretty cool nonetheless 

You've kinda nailed it @ndvit's all about the batteries. They're using lithium ION phosphate technology. The phosphate allows for way more charge cycles/battery life, and allows you to store more electricity per pound of battery. Again, it's not a problem at this point to have the technology to make an electric car, or a battery, it's building the supply chain. Tesla's current battery tech is already outdated, the roadster and cybertrucks are getting the lithium ion phosphate, and the delay in the batteries is what's driving the delay on those new models. No idea what Daimler Chrysler's supply chain is looking like, but they haven't been doing very well in other areas the last couple of decades.

The people worth watching in German EV's are Porsche. They got an EV to market that actually beat Tesla's P100D models in performance, and forced Elon to drop the Plaid S's, and X's to regain lead position. If Porsche can advance from lithium ion, to lithium ion phosphate batteries they murder Teslas.  

• Truth 1

Yes, although another solid electrolyte other than phosphate could be used. Basically any "solid" used to chemically regulate IONs for that matter would technically make a wide range of battery tech "solid state", but TBH there's really only one making waves right now and it uses phosphates, so that's the more accepted term. 

Solid state is really only used by journalists, or other hype men because, while it's dumb and confusing,  it sounds much cooler and mystical. "Solid state" is not how people who work with, or sell them usually describe them, as it's kinda useless description. It's like saying a 4 door cars, instead of sating a sedan, hatchback, SUV, Pickup truck etc. which is the normal way people would describe a motor vehicle.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:48 PM, Mercer said:

I want that lightning so bad. 

• Truth 1

On 4/18/2022 at 9:25 PM, Mercer said:

After reading this, I am guessing by the time my battery in my hybrid will be replaced with a solid state.  It only makes sense.  I am just wondering if so how much?  Honda told me it's 6k to get a new battery when time comes. The battery has a 6-10 life span, so we'll see what happens.