Elon Musk attempts hostile takeover of twitter

Mercer

8 hours ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

you're telling me these cars have an MSRP of $50-80,000+ and the manual release door handle is hidden? and the autopilot is okay on the highway but also might drive you into the wall at speed and deactivate seconds before impact so they can blame you? 

humiliating bozo shit. not to mention actively malicious product design. tesla owners are hogs for punishment. they love to overpay for shitty cars that will kill them and elon musk will keep taking their money. 

The reason the button is hidden is because they're so expensive, not because they're trying to dave money. The cars are designed to look as plain as possible from the exterior, the aesthetic that sets these vehicles apart from other vehicles is the interior. Thinking logically here, who wants a large, noticeable emergency door release handle that will most likely never be used, throwing off their interior vibes.

Also, you're doing the same thing here with autopilot, that you did with battery fire. Ignoring how unsafe human operators are is like ignoring gasoline fires. Your criticism is that autopilot isn't 100% perfect, but you don't hold operated cars to that same standard.

At the risk of sounding kinda harsh, it's probably a good thing Darwin is weeding out anyone who uses autopilot, or even just lane keep assist in other vehicles that doesn't pay attention, as long as it's just the vehicle in question that's smashing into walls. I personally don't use the autopilot feature myself, not because of safety concerns, I just really enjoy driving around in a torque monster.

Fact is, Tesla has the most advanced autopilot feature available right now. There isn't another manufacturer that even comes close to it's capabilities, and nobody's system will ever be perfect. The goal isn't a delusional quest for absolute perfection. It's making advancements in safety which they've achieved. Statistically speaking you're much safer with autopilot engaged, and both hands on the wheel paying attention, than human operated only. For every autopilot mistake, there's far more times the advanced features prevent accidents and the statistics show it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
5 hours ago, Mercer said:

The reason the button is hidden is because they're so expensive, not because they're trying to dave money. The cars are designed to look as plain as possible from the exterior, the aesthetic that sets these vehicles apart from other vehicles is the interior. Thinking logically here, who wants a large, noticeable emergency door release handle that will most likely never be used, throwing off their interior vibes.

Also, you're doing the same thing here with autopilot, that you did with battery fire. Ignoring how unsafe human operators are is like ignoring gasoline fires. Your criticism is that autopilot isn't 100% perfect, but you don't hold operated cars to that same standard.

At the risk of sounding kinda harsh, it's probably a good thing Darwin is weeding out anyone who uses autopilot, or even just lane keep assist in other vehicles that doesn't pay attention, as long as it's just the vehicle in question that's smashing into walls. I personally don't use the autopilot feature myself, not because of safety concerns, I just really enjoy driving around in a torque monster.

Fact is, Tesla has the most advanced autopilot feature available right now. There isn't another manufacturer that even comes close to it's capabilities, and nobody's system will ever be perfect. The goal isn't a delusional quest for absolute perfection. It's making advancements in safety which they've achieved. Statistically speaking you're much safer with autopilot engaged, and both hands on the wheel paying attention, than human operated only. For every autopilot mistake, there's far more times the advanced features prevent accidents and the statistics show it.

this is extra embarrassing because you have a design background. if your design hides a core safety feature, it's a bad design. stupid people also buy every other car and no one else has problems getting out of those cars when they catch fire. it's a bad design. it's not "darwinism" or whatever other kooky shit you come up with. it's just unsuccessful and hasn't killed you yet. 

similarly, if your product is unsafe and drives into walls, it shouldn't be released into the wild. it definitely shouldn't make everyone around them unwilling test subjects. it shouldn't be marketed as "full self driving". 

i actually like the argument that fewer people should drive and agree. most people are very stupid. 

Because of my experience in design, I know there are often times when the aesthetic presentation of a functional product aimed at a specific market/customer type, is way more important than the safety concerns of people trying to rationalize an irrational perspective, which by default means they aren't ever going to buy a Tesla anyway, making how they'd like them to look, or function irrelevant.

I mean c'mon, despite the fact Tesla makes the fastest production vehicles on the market, these cars are also safer than most anything on the road statistically. Biased anecdotal "evidence" presented from "TeslaDeaths.com"  doesn't hold up to the rational points I've already presented.

With that said, I kind of agree that this design does not favor the mechanically slower, non manual reading customers that are generally more vulnerable to the laws of Darwin. With that said if given a choice, I'd 100% want this aesthetically pleasing hidden emergency push button option, over the same door systems used by non-luxury legacy vehicles, or some bright orange handle that say's "emergency release" on it.

To your point, I'd also agree manual roll up/down windows in regular vehicles are probably safer in the rare chance you need to escape underwater, over power windows, but the slim chances of them saving your life are outweighed by the convenience of power windows according to the vast majority of customer preference. Taking your point to the extreme, people could also wear high vis vests when they walk/bike, and wear helmets full time "if it can save one life", but there comes a point where realistically the return on that investment makes this solution unappealing. 

Here are some real facts according to the NHTSA

The average number of vehicle fires is 210 per billion miles traveled for conventional vehicles, while for Tesla vehicles it is significantly lower at 11 per billion miles traveled.

That makes a Tesla 19x less likely to catch fire.

For every 120 million miles driven, one Tesla vehicle is likely to experience a fire incident, while this statistic is one for every 19 million miles for gasoline cars.

120 million miles per vehicle fire are odds I'm willing to gamble on.

From a rational perspective here, it appears it's the other companies that are exponentially more likely to be "cranking out defective vehicles that kill their drivers" when given a factual, unbiased comparison to Tesla.

32 minutes ago, Mercer said:

With that said if given a choice, I'd 100% want this aesthetically pleasing hidden emergency push button option, over the same door systems used by non-luxury legacy vehicles, or some bright orange handle that say's "emergency release" on it.

no no you're right. the genius is designing a door that requires two handles, one of which requires electric power and one of which is hidden. this is an improvement and is very smart.  

you should read tesladeaths before calling it biased, i think. no editorializing. it's:

- incident

- victims (deaths and injuries)

- link to news coverage

we're not arguing over whether EVs have fewer fires (they do). it's that tesla owners are uniquely situated to be barbecued alive in their cool tech car because they're basically designed this way because they're bad products. 

autopilot is also a uniquely bad product that was released before it was remotely viable because teslas are bad products. it, too, has killed people and will kill again. no other carmaker has released a product like this, and overpromised this much. 

you can keep pointing out all cars are bad. teslas are worse in these specific ways. 

43 minutes ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

you should read tesladeaths before calling it biased, i think. no editorializing. it's:

- incident

- victims (deaths and injuries)

- link to news coverage

we're not arguing over whether EVs have fewer fires (they do). it's that tesla owners are uniquely situated to be barbecued alive in their cool tech car because they're basically designed this way because they're bad products. 

autopilot is also a uniquely bad product that was released before it was remotely viable because teslas are bad products. it, too, has killed people and will kill again. no other carmaker has released a product like this, and overpromised this much. 

you can keep pointing out all cars are bad. teslas are worse in these specific ways. 

Suspect tesladeaths.com presents data in a manner that people like you enjoy consuming, as opposed to comparing how safe Teslas are when compared to the average, or other specific vehicles. Can't imagine trying to call it unbiased when it's literally in the name, but you do you I guess.

Also, calling the world's most advanced autonomous driving feature a "uniquely bad product" is like saying Micheal Jordan was a shitty basketball player then rolling a clip of every (very rare) missed layup. You can tell yourself it's bad all you want, you might even believe it, but the reality is there's no comparison, and you can't show an example of anything else that's even half as good, let alone better.

dawg tesladeaths is a spreadsheet. you're too mad at a URL to even open it, so i get that you don't know what's there. but i think you'd find some worrying stuff that you should know about because you like them so much.  

it can be the "most advanced" autonomous driving software out there. i work in marketing, i lie about things like this for a living and know how it goes. at best their autopilot is level 2! it isn't good, or ready for public use, and has been rushed to production to get another headline, sustain the stock price, and juice elon's personal wealth.

you're having a very hard time with the concept that a tesla product can be bad. sad! 

58 minutes ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

dawg tesladeaths is a spreadsheet. you're too mad at a URL to even open it, so i get that you don't know what's there. but i think you'd find some worrying stuff that you should know about because you like them so much.  

it can be the "most advanced" autonomous driving software out there. i work in marketing, i lie about things like this for a living and know how it goes. at best their autopilot is level 2! it isn't good, or ready for public use, and has been rushed to production to get another headline, sustain the stock price, and juice elon's personal wealth.

you're having a very hard time with the concept that a tesla product can be bad. sad! 

If I'm lying, who's autonomous driving system is more advanced?

I originally had something way different types up. This is a weird as fuck argument. I think Teslas are good cars. I think autodrive is a bad feature. I think Elon is a bad person for pushing a bad feature that's killing people. Mercer it feels like you are having a problem separating the product you enjoy from the person that owns the company that brings you the thing you enjoy.

• Truth 2

A preview of what's coming from my favorite economic "reporter" for lack of a better term: Peter St Onge, who comes from the same school of Economic thought as I do (Austrian School, Mises to be exact).

Government interference in the automobile manufacturing market used to be about preserving the cartel of the big 3. The previous approach drove prices up, while insuring others would find difficulty entering the U.S. market. Tesla was able to penetrate these defenses by exploiting government interference around climate change.

With climate change hysteria, it's the government's approach has now shifted away from making sure the big 3 don't have to do a better job at offering higher quality (What Tesla did IMO), or offering lower prices to consumers, the government has gone into a "full retard" mode. I've already explained why EV's aren't the answer to climate.

Lower prices are on their way now for EV's, and here's how that's going to work out, and decimate our ability to manufacture them here.

I haven't personally driven or ridden in a Tesla, so I do not understand their self driving functionality.  But what I can comment on the subject vie Honda Lasne Keep Assist is I do like it that I can take my hands off the wheel for some curves and straights on the road but there are still some quirks about the technology that needs a lot of improvement before the car truly becomes 100% self reliable.  Most of which these improvements need to not the tech but the road ways e.g. lines, stripes, and signage.  Then of course the sensors and tech, sung glare, poor readability e.g. bad roads but overall for the tech to work flawlessly to a certain extent these companies need to data collect as much as possible so their ai can get better and better over night. 

3 hours ago, ndv said:

I haven't personally driven or ridden in a Tesla, so I do not understand their self driving functionality.  But what I can comment on the subject vie Honda Lasne Keep Assist is I do like it that I can take my hands off the wheel for some curves and straights on the road but there are still some quirks about the technology that needs a lot of improvement before the car truly becomes 100% self reliable.  Most of which these improvements need to not the tech but the road ways e.g. lines, stripes, and signage.  Then of course the sensors and tech, sung glare, poor readability e.g. bad roads but overall for the tech to work flawlessly to a certain extent these companies need to data collect as much as possible so their ai can get better and better over night. 

But right now, the tech is still in the building stages so yes, the automobiles including tesla still need human control from time to time depending on the traffic or road conditions.  Knowing this, it's tough for me to say tesla is at fault for these deaths when common sense still needs to be applied.   But then again I guess common sense is not so common in these cases is a bit stupid to say considering a doctor and his buddy died in a crash where supposedly the auto pilot was engaged at the time.  So I cannot agree that the tesla is at fault,  and perhaps most of the people who died in these autopilot tragedies are all just idiots that shouldn't had been in a tesla to begin with due to the lack of discipline it takes to operate such tech.  Smh.

The first police car in the world was an electrically-powered wagon, operated by the Akron Police Department in 1899. The $2,400 vehicle was equipped with electric lights, gongs, and a stretcher, and could reach 16 mph (26 km/h) and travel 30 mi (48 km) before its battery needed to be recharged. 

stumbled upon the above while reading some history about Mid Night Club

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LUGR said:

I caught a glimpse of the Starlink satellite train recently. That was pretty neat.

Like in the sky?  

A couple years ago I didn't realize I was looking at the ISS while driving to work.  It is brighter than I would have imagined when sun was hitting it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ndv said:

Like in the sky?  

A couple years ago I didn't realize I was looking at the ISS while driving to work.  It is brighter than I would have imagined when sun was hitting it. 

Up in the sky.

Then shortly after, saw a single satellite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ndv said:

I keep hearing that we can see the satellites but I have never seen anything, yet. 

I have seen single satellites quite a few times. Never a trail of them. It was out of sight very quickly, happened to look up at the right time.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Agreed, taking away blocking is fucking retarded. He's butthurt people are blocking the scamvertizements, and the platform has reverted back to the Dorsey days of pushing the government agenda. That said, lord have mercy on my state's politicians if they can't block the mile high squad anymore.

tenor-1994324553.gif.ee56d33f006bb25dbf50f1745553fba7.gif