On Tuesday, Elon Musk sold ~$1 billion in Tesla stock. On Thursday, they announced recalls for ~500,000 Tesla cars

KILZ FILLZ

From hear say (a customer's neighbor purchased a new bentley).  Of course it's a auto brand out of reach for most.  Anyhow, I was told beltley is using technology incorporated with their version of lane keep assist tech (semi-automonous driving) that the car can read traffic lights as well as road signage.  Idk because I haven't had a chance to talk to someone with a 2020 or newer bentley.  But I got this off of beltley motors website.  

Screenshot_20220107-124325_Brave.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
16 minutes ago, ndv said:

From hear say (a customer's neighbor purchased a new bentley).  Of course it's a auto brand out of reach for most.  Anyhow, I was told beltley is using technology incorporated with their version of lane keep assist tech (semi-automonous driving) that the car can read traffic lights as well as road signage.  Idk because I haven't had a chance to talk to someone with a 2020 or newer bentley.  But I got this off of beltley motors website.  

Screenshot_20220107-124325_Brave.jpg

New Fords do this too. Can get this feature for a lot less than buying a Bentley 

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/ford-technology/driver-assist-features/what-is-speed-sign-recognition/

• Props 1

Yea, my mom's Honda has lane keep assist and displays the speed limit on her screen, but it's not actually stopping the car for a red light, adjusting the vehicles speed for the speed limit, going forward on green ect. The vehicle is at best learning how to read this info, it's not able to do anything useful with this info yet, or drive itself based on it.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

I have lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control.  There's quirky things about you systems.  Main one being road conditions (lane markers), if the lines are in need of new paint, the system doesn't read the road very well.  Vehicle orientation is another factor.  If the sun is shining directly at you in sun rise/sun set positions thr systems is blinded.  As for rain, I do however notice the system reads better for some reason.   

As for the adaptive cruise control, it's very sensitive and quickly adapts to the vehicle ahead of you, so in other words the system will pick up almost in real time when the driver ahead of you doesn't have a steady foot.  If the vehicle ahead of you is merging into a turn lane and braking, the car recognizes this and what's to brake hard.  I hate that.  With acc on if a vehicle gets out of range (at a certain length, and I don't know thr legnth), the system stops reading an object in front, so if this happens and you are approaching a stop light and there's a vehicle you are approaching, the system doesn't pick that object up, and I have to intervene to stop or I'll reared them.  I hate this too.   In my previous post, I think bentley doesn't have this flaw.    

Will sell driving happen soon, yes, will there always be bugs in the software, yes.  Do I trust it, no.  The self driving mode just takes thr freedom out of motoring.  Now going back to the tech.  As I was told, bentley/rolls are thr for front of automotive technology.  These guys are the first to have the latest and greatest.  With that there comes s bunch of bugs and software and hardware upgrades as they go along.  All the other manufactueres benefit from these guys because their clients are pretty much the beta users other than their drivers for race cars.   When most of the bugs are worked out, it's pretty much given to other auto manufacturers to use to help further the tech (data collect)  so the next gen of autos is closer to self driving.   Speaking of data collection, this part I am kinda ok with, because in order for the auto companies to become closer to perfecting self driving (safer), they are gonna need to collect all types of driving characteristics from individuals but also regions, climates, and many other factors involved that makes us unique in our driving characteristics.  We drive like our finger prints, every one is different, from climates, weather, terrain (topographical), etc.  Without all of this info, self driving will not be even close to what most people envision.

With that being said, when the auto industry does have all this tech, I am sure it will be an option for the vehicle to adapt to the road course. Basically,  I imagine there will be programs when you can set a car to optimal driving conditions for a scenic drive on HW 1 in Cali to a HW drive from Anchorage to Seattle. 

But iRobot is probably not gonna happen anytime soon. 

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Yea, my mom's Honda has lane keep assist and displays the speed limit on her screen, but it's not actually stopping the car for a red light, adjusting the vehicles speed for the speed limit, going forward on green ect. The vehicle is at best learning how to read this info, not drive the vehicle based on it.

Yeah your mom's honda is better than my acura imo.  The thing with Honda, they have the capability to rival or surpass bentley, but they choose not to because they want to make sure they perfect the baby steps before they move on to a full stride to get to the next baby step. 

• Like 1

Yea, if I had something as torquey as a Tesla, last thing I'd want to do is miss out on driving it. Probably nice on long road trips, or heavy traffic though.

With that said, kinda like it's popular to make fun of Teslas now, people used to be convinced horses were still better than automobiles back in the day. The only point they really ever made that sticks is that a horse knows the way home from the tavern, and won't kill anyone when you're drunk. Hopefully that's not the case much longer for cars.

• Truth 1

Also think FSD will never be worth shit if you have to keep your hands on the wheel, and pay attention. Even if FSD becomes safer than humans, it's still going to be a long time before it's actually allowed to drive on it's own, just out of liability. You get in an accident, it's on you. Even if your car is statistically 99% less likely to have an accident, it's kinda on the manufacturer by default. Don't see true full autonomy being a thing any time soon. Might be the most valuable car company in the world right now, but the entire government is against Tesla now, and your boy Elongated Muskrat.

• Truth 1

That's a very good point.  

I have a customer that was really looking forward to buy a tesla, the one with the Ludacris package, because he has a vette (60s something, can't remember exactly what year he told me) with 600+hp.  He was telling me what impressed him so much with the tesla was that he couldn't shake off the car from 80 to top out like he could vs other high performance combustion engines.  The reason he didn't pull the trigger on the tesla was no customer support after the 5 year warranty expired, which leaves you with a 30k battery replacement soon to follow.  He said that was the salty part.  Other than that you really can't beat a flick of a switch electricity instantaneous power.  

Honestly, I really like my hybrid, but when I'm tolling on battery, the acceleration for the few seconds I get is a great feeling.   I just do not like the fact honda did give us the option of choosing electric, hybrid, or combustion by flick of a switch or something.  Maybe in the near future tho. 

34 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Yea, my mom's Honda has lane keep assist and displays the speed limit on her screen, but it's not actually stopping the car for a red light, adjusting the vehicles speed for the speed limit, going forward on green ect. The vehicle is at best learning how to read this info, it's not able to do anything useful with this info yet, or drive itself based on it.

Not sure if you’re referring to the hondas tech here, check the link i posted cause fords absolutely can adjust the vehicle speed 

22 minutes ago, Mercer said:

With that said, kinda like it's popular to make fun of Teslas now, people used to be convinced horses were still better than automobiles back in the day.

Only as a response to how insufferable Teslas bros can be. A little humility goes a long way. You can’t get on stage talking about how your car is the future and everything else is shit and then have your ‘bulletproof’ glass shattered by a thrown bowling ball.

Personally don’t think an engine swap is on the same paradigm shifting level as the swap from horses to cars 

27 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I still want to see the difference in total power consumed to put 1kw of power through the rear wheels of a Tesla vs doing it with a gas or diesel motor. 

Plenty of economists have weighed in on this, taking into account all of the upstream emissions to get to the drive train.

5 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I said that when the idea was first proposed.  Not everything can be automated.  Driving is one of those things.

You wouldn't put your dick in an automatic circumcision machine that was designed and programmed by dude's w/ tiny dicks would you?  It'd chop your shit off and they'd be like "whoooooppppsssss we have a little bug that we're going to fix."

People that think self driving is a good thing are idiots.  They should start out on self driving razor scooters and see how that pans out first.

i'm not ready to dismiss it yet, conceptually.  the nicest interpretation of tesla's autopilot is that it's primitive and too far ahead of it's time. and you can't make up for that by just throwing it into the real world to learn. they need to maintain momentum (for shareholders) so they're not gonna throw in the towel on it but there is a reason that everyone else who was interested has given up on self-driving for now. 

Edited by Elena Delle Donne

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

There's no way full self driving will ever be perfect, but I think it will eventually become safer than the average retarded human drivers.

this is a really important part! ai doesn't have to be that good to be better than us, on average. it's fine to have have high expectations, and i do, but people are awful drivers. 

2 hours ago, Kults said:

Only as a response to how insufferable Teslas bros can be. A little humility goes a long way. You can’t get on stage talking about how your car is the future and everything else is shit and then have your ‘bulletproof’ glass shattered by a thrown bowling ball.

Personally don’t think an engine swap is on the same paradigm shifting level as the swap from horses to cars 

The tech jump isn't as significant, it's the naysayer sentiment that is exactly the same though. I mean I'll be that Tesla bro, but isn't it more cringe to see hardcore Tesla naysayers get so worked up over Teslas like some people.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

this is a really important part! ai doesn't have to be that good to be better than us, on average. it's fine to have have high expectations, and i do, but people are awful drivers. 

Yea, this is what people overlook. You can see a video of a Tesla on FSD fucking up and say ha, but humans literally do worse mistakes every single day.  Again, even if it's shit, it's exponentially better than any other company's system.

Also, advancements in software aside, it's the legal/liability aspect that creates the true inflection point for FSD adoption. I personally don't think it's worth the $200 a month subscription price if you can't read a book while using it. There's no way Elon is getting congress behind legislating FSD manufacturer liability to even allow real FSD, even with proof FSD is safer than humans which isn't even close yet IMO.

16 minutes ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

agree with this and @Mercer

I think the biggest hurdle that cars originally didn’t have to overcome is immediate and constant criticism. I don’t have any statistic point to base off of, but I’m sure the amount of vehicle related deaths in its conception were probably shocking on paper. But they had the benefit of starting before this modern world where anything can be shut down by fear and numbers. You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette 

I think the best AV right now is the Waymo truck.  It's sensor package smokes what Tesla is doing.  Tesla is heavily reliant on ML and data.  The guy behind Waymo (Boris Sofman) did Lex Fridman's podcast and talked pretty long and deep on this subject.  Paraphrasing him, machine learning is really good at sorting out averages and predicting along those lines ... which is why it struggles so hard with city traffic/pedestrians/cyclists/etc and the nuance/congestion of city living.  

Edited by metronome

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

The tech jump isn't as significant, it's the naysayer sentiment that is exactly the same though. I mean I'll be that Tesla bro, but isn't it more cringe to see hardcore Tesla naysayers get so worked up over Teslas like some people.

For sure. Like it or not EVs are here to stay 

don't particularly like tesla guys and i have real issues with the end product. they made lots of little annoying decisions i don't like; i don't want one. when it comes time to buy an ev i want to electrify an ICE car.

but there's no question that in the minds of american consumers, when it comes to EVs, they have been damn near revolutionary. they upended the category marketing of EVs and made them a desirable product. they made an EV that was fun to drive, not just an appliance like previous EVs and hybrids. they accelerated adoption of EVs. credit where it is due. 

they've benefited from government loans and federal and state subsidies on end purchases. but that doesn't change that they made a product that, at the end of the day, people wanted. a $10,000 subsidy certainly helps. but people want these cars. 

4 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

We just accept vehicle related deaths as a part of life now. There will be faults and probably always will be. It’s just getting public acceptance of the fact I think that will be the biggest hurdle 

40,000+ people die on the roads every year! millions more are injured. car culture is a death cult

• Like 1
  • Truth 1