Chip shortage so bad Microsoft is using Xbox dev kits for Halo tourney this weekend because retail versions are unavailable

KILZ FILLZ

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Even-Microsoft-can-t-get-its-hands-on-enough-Xbox-Series-X-consoles-for-its-first-major-Halo-Infinite-tournament.587185.0.html

Despite being on sale for over a year now, it is just as tough as ever to get your hands on an Xbox Series X. The reason as has been the case with components shortages from CPUs through to just about anything else that uses a semiconductor has been the ongoing global chip shortage. The problem is so bad, it seems, that even fully-owned Microsoft subsidiary 343 Industries hasn’t been able to get its hands on enough Xbox Series X consoles for its first major Halo Infinite tournament. 

Instead, 343 Industries has revealed that it has had to resort to using Xbox Series X dev kits to run the Halo Championship Series (HCS) Kickoff Major in Raleigh this weekend. These units will be reserved for the open bracket players and will operate in “Retail” mode, so players shouldn’t notice any differences between the playing on the dev kit and the real thing. On the plus side, it is good to know that Microsoft hasn’t re-prioritized supply of its Series X consoles for its own purposes, but is still doing its best to get them in the hands of gamers.

Intel CEO Pat Gelisinger recently told reporters that he believes the global chip shortage will continue through 2022 and into 2023 before supply starts to level off with demand. Getting a next-gen PS5 console from Sony is just as difficult through normal retail channels. Both next-gen consoles can, however, still be found at significantly higher prices through online marketplaces. So, it’s not a great time to be a gamer, particularly with GPU prices still through the roof and also hard to come by. At least it seems we are all in the same boat on this one, from the average consumer to megacorporations like Microsoft.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

My older Xbox 1 has started to mess up from time to time and I’ve been wanting to snag one of these, but I absolutely refuse to pay the crazy mark ups scalpers are charging. 

what is the deal with the semiconductor/chip shortage? I haven’t really looked into it at all, but am aware it’s allegedly a driver for the crazy markups on new cars and buybacks of pre-owneds. Is it a material used in their manufacture? Why is there a shortage of the material?

• KILZ FILLZ changed the title to Chip shortage so bad Microsoft is using Xbox dev kits for Halo tourney this weekend because retail versions are unavailable
1 hour ago, LUGR said:

When I stopped smoking weed, the switch in my brain to play or care about video games turned off.

I've noticed the same thing man.  It's very weird.  However, I still played, just less..... and i'm back to chiefin again.  Been wilding the fuck out on BF2042.  Don't listen to what those "expert game reviewers" say..... they're basically the "face book fact checkers" of the video game industry.

Faggots.

1 hour ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

what is the deal with the semiconductor/chip shortage? I haven’t really looked into it at all, but am aware it’s allegedly a driver for the crazy markups on new cars and buybacks of pre-owneds. Is it a material used in their manufacture? Why is there a shortage of the material?

In short; pandemic created a huge surge of demand for electronics(people are home and have more free time), the chips use some rare materials that take awhile to source.

Same shit with cars, modern cars need chips as well and pandemic got a whole bunch of people rethinking using public transit or living in the city where they didn’t need a car 

that and supply chain all fucked up 

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I've noticed the same thing man.  It's very weird.  However, I still played, just less..... and i'm back to chiefin again.  Been wilding the fuck out on BF2042.  Don't listen to what those "expert game reviewers" say..... they're basically the "face book fact checkers" of the video game industry.

Faggots.

Did they add a server browser???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Did they add a server browser???

I wasn't able to play the demo, so I assume that is where this "no server browser" thing I keep hearing is coming from.

It definitely has a server browser.

I do have some complaints about the game but they aren't what you'd hear reading game reviews.

13 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I wasn't able to play the demo, so I assume that is where this "no server browser" thing I keep hearing is coming from.

It definitely has a server browser.

I do have some complaints about the game but they aren't what you'd hear reading game reviews.

Dope that’s my favorite part of the BF series, picking the custom lobbies! I’ll have to keep an eye out for a used disc after Xmas. 

im still chipping away at cyberpunk when I can.. maybe get to play a couple times a month these days. Absolutely loving the game though. It Was also panned by reviewers after release

the new BF 2042 has a lot of custom game types that they "advertise" right in the opening menu.... and they've been changing them every week.  Another totally fucking rad awesome bonus is that they've basically skinned all the old BF's onto the new game engine..... so my brothers and I have been playing BF1942 maps with all the original soldier classes and guns.

I'm already level 77 or something and have unlocked all the guns in the game.  The real meat is using the vehicles and weapons enough to upgrade them with better parts.  Fully upgraded vehicles on the game with a competent squad inside is just balls out fun.  We've been using the SOFLAM and then two people have M5 Recoilless rockets.  The M5 normally is a point and shoot rocket launcher that you have to lead vehicles with to hit...... it's kinda hard to do.  But if someone on the team is marking vehicles using the SOFLAM then everyone on the team can lock onto the vehicles with the M5 rockets and the become guided.

We basically set up on a hill outside of the action and obliterate every single enemy vehicle that tries to come in.... ground vehicles and air vehicles just get shat upon.  If you kill a transport sometimes you'll get 6 kills out of it if it's full of bronies.

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I'm guessing the bugs were resolved?  I have a copy but started playing it and was like W T F.... because the bugs i ran into were like immediate and bad.  I'll give it another shot, i'm sure they patched it.

there was a very large update a while back that I think fixed most of the bugs. I was having major internet issues at my place towards the start of the year so I didn’t install the game until some what recently and didn’t get a taste of the major issues. But there are still some minor bugs I’ve come across but so far they have been acceptable to me and haven’t ruined the game. 

smallest bugs- character unable to pick up some items when looting. Even though they are on screen and highlighted no prompt to pick them up. Always a low level junk item I would sell for a couple bucks in a shop. Never a gun or anything interesting where I feel like I’m missing out. 

largest bug- was in the middle of a mission where I needed to get on a elevator and a cutscene would trigger… but the damn cutscene wasn’t starting! Reloaded my save a couple times with no luck. Rebooted by Xbox and loaded back in, cut scene loaded up just fine and I went along my way. Has only happened this one time so far. But I’m still early in the game and it may happened again, but now I know the work around. 

this fucking game is dense. There is so much to do and see and I feel like I’m *barely* scratching the surface.