BUYING HOUSES

Dark_Knight

Another curveball but possibly more practical and economic is a condo. I found a decent condo for really cheap. Like my monthly would be 580 including HOA. Anyone have any experience with condo living? 

Like I said my ultimate goal is to not pay high rent. Not necessarily find a forever home.

APPRECIATE YALL

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

My parents bought a condo here in 2019. I completely remodeled the thing from head to toe. A few months after we finished it up a waste pipe bit the dust 2 floors above them and rained shit water down through their new remodel. They had to fight with the buildings insurance to get everything covered as far as repairs go. A few months after that the person above them had their dishwasher eat shit and rain water down into their kitchen. I did the repairs for that and they put it on the market. It went under contract a week later. 

FABB9D3B-5C9F-4FAE-B435-24803D3D4DC1.thumb.jpeg.09824c2e38c3c77fa0033be3006aff3c.jpeg

adios mother fucker. I guess one good thing came of all this. Everyone that lives in the. Building has become accustomed to seeing my face and I have since gotten a bathroom remodel and a kitchen remodel out of the deal.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

A condo is a group undertaking, which has pros and cons, the condo association can make a huge difference in how things are managed. If I were looking at a condo I would pay as much attention to the association as anything and I would be looking for an operation that hires professional mangers and does not try to cut corners by having volunteers from the building to much at all.

My mother lived in a condo where someone on the board hired a painting company owned by a couple of rookie lesbians to do some exterior work for $2400 or something similar. It became quickly evident that they did not have the skillset to do the job, getting permits from the city to work near powerlines etc so the painters stopped work and asked for payment for what they had done. A lawsuit followed where the board continually escalated the legal struggle, in the end the judge sided with the painters, awarded legal fees and the condo association was out $74,000 including their own fees. This meant that the monthly dues needed to go up. 

On the other hand, that unit had stable expenses overall, my mom never had to do any work beyond the interior of her unit and while the value did not grow as much as a house it did appreciate nicely over the 20 years that she held it. Pros and Cons in all things as usual.

• Like 2
  • Truth 2

That first one you showed me is the ticket. The price is affordable and it looks like the lions share of the remodel work is done. I would get a professional to walk the property with you and make sure they didn’t just slap a fresh coat of paint on it and call it remodeled. I’ve seen some nightmare shit people have gotten themselves into.

• Like 1

Do you guys have offset loans in america? They are loans that are connected to your bank account and you gte you pay put into them. 

Every dollar you put in above your required repayment comes off your principle so your interest payable drops accordingly which can make a big difference over the loan lifetime

But you can take money from the "offset" part as required just means your interest due would creep up a bit.

Works pretty nicely  if you can put a bit extra in there. 500 invested early will work out to savings of way more than 500 on a 30 year loan.

On 7/23/2021 at 7:05 PM, Dark_Knight said:

St pats on bridge area. In the vicinity. A house on the street just went for 500k

something to consider as well; you should find out the price per sq foot on that 500k house. You can use that price per sq foot to compare your price per sq ft of the house you want to buy to see if you are really getting a good deal.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

3 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

something to consider as well; you should find out the price per sq foot on that 500k house. You can use that price per sq foot to compare your price per sq ft of the house you want to buy to see if you are really getting a good deal.

That's some great advice dude - thanks for that

going to use that when i buy my next place.

• Like 1

@Schnitzelthat sounds like an amazing program. Nothing in America is designed to be beneficial to the consumer. I think if you over pay on your loan, the overage is credited to your next payment. You can pay off early, but I believe it has to be 2 separate payments with one being strictly designated to pay directly to the principal. 

please correct me if I have this wrong.

Maaaaaannn stop listening to all these crazies about staying out of the buyers market right now. Just like crypto or stocks or anything you’re investing money into, it’s best to just GET IN THE FUCKING GAME. That doesn’t mean go all in or go overboard. Find a middle ground and go from there. All this housing bubble theory nonsense is like the covid scare to me. Bunch of people acting scary over some shit that’s just reality. You may or may not get fucked depending on how much you watch your back and keep your hands clean. Essentially do enough common sense research and you should be ahite. The price points on houses depending on where you live are most likely never coming way down. So “waiting” it out is just stupid. Everything has dips but generallly speaking everything goes up every year. Period. 

:::do not listen to me 0ner, I have no idea what I’m actually talking about Lolol:::::

• LOL! 1

18 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

@Schnitzelthat sounds like an amazing program. Nothing in America is designed to be beneficial to the consumer. I think if you over pay on your loan, the overage is credited to your next payment. You can pay off early, but I believe it has to be 2 separate payments with one being strictly designated to pay directly to the principal. 

please correct me if I have this wrong.

Think student loans follow the same type of shit.  Anything over your payment has to be declared as being toward the principal or else it's automatically applied to your next regular payment instead.

• Truth 2

Bruh it takes like 30 days just to close when you buy a house.....it may be different if you are buying outright in full.

Definitely worth the pain in my opinion - your mortgage is basically an investment that you can cash out on in the future and will likely increase in value. 

Bought my pad for over 500k 7 years ago and it has almost doubled - but also Bay Area fuckery included in the growth. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fat ralphy said:

Bruh it takes like 30 days just to close when you buy a house.....it may be different if you are buying outright in full.

Definitely worth the pain in my opinion - your mortgage is basically an investment that you can cash out on in the future and will likely increase in value. 

Bought my pad for over 500k 7 years ago and it has almost doubled - but also Bay Area fuckery included in the growth. 

yeah I’d be crashing with my brother during the closing phase… I just have to figure out if I want to go for broke. It’s a lot to take on.

Edited by Dark_Knight
Weird auto correct
  • Truth 1

@Dark_Knight - I say fucking go all in provided you are happy with the city you are in etc.

Fuck paying someone else's mortgage when you can pay into owning your own shit - I agree with your initial post, I was paying 3500 a month for rent and the shit didn't make sense to me. 

Again, Bay Area but same principle. 

Forgot to add this in but Property Tax is a fucking bitch where I am....I pay like 10K annual and those bitches increase it every opportunity. 

Edited by fat ralphy
  • Like 1
  • Truth 1