READ ME: 12oz Community Project - Trying to rally you guys up to help push the forum forward.

misteraven

@Hua Guofang Can you explain a little more? I've never considered it before, but makes sense that there should be a user option top at least collapse it. One mobile it isn't present and with out layout, images stretch to virtually the full width of the device. As for desktop, yeah should be a n option to collapse it or toggle off, but what size display are you on that it squeezes the image to be so small that instagram would actually make more sense?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Also, as a follow up to this entire Rules thing... Obviously no rules were created and a lot has changed since this whole conversation began. There has, however, been some really great progress as to a technical solution that at least helps things out.

I do plan to still loop back to rules, but with the forum upgrade I did yesterday, there's some pretty robust features for automatic moderation, as well as a new "gamification" feature you might have noticed with the little badge graphic next to everyone's avatar and additional stats on user profiles. This feature will no doubt evolve to be pretty powerful, but as is, we can create rule sets on the backend so that if a user is spamming or trolling, they can have their posts auto hidden according to a threshold we configure.

Example, right now there is a rule that if a Member has less than 100 reputation points and has a post that gets reported by 3 individual members, all their content become hidden and they are placed into a moderation queue.

No doubt a feature like this can be abused, but likewise, thats self correcting in itself since I can see who did the reporting and can adjust the threshold on the rule set to make it a little less likely to be abused. Anyone that abuses it, opens themselves up to a straight ban.

Anyhow, my thought is that if we have some simple, straight forward rules intended to keep user and conversations from degrading to trolling and arguing, the conversations stay cleaner and are likely to be better for the majority of members and community as a whole. I understand that there's been callouts about censorship, but fact is that 12ozProphet is a private domain that is entirely funded out of my pocket. Its your choice to participate and its my choice to let people participate. I tend to allow for a certain level of democracy on here, but at the end of the day, I see this as more of a constitutional republic in that there will be some basic rules inspired by principles of non-aggression and beyond that, we can discuss, consider and potentially involve the community as a whole into most aspects beyond these principles. No at always perfect (as if anything in life is), but I believe its a step in the right direction and ultimately all my choices are motivated by what I feel will be best for this platform long term. There's a reason that 12ozProphet's tagline is "Not For Everybody".

Anyhow, I'll loop back and explain some of these new features in more detail once the dust settles. For now, the new merit system is using stock images and the default rule set. Took me a while to work through updating the custom theme we have to be compatible with the big upgrade I just did so I still need to go through these new features and dial them in.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

9 hours ago, misteraven said:

Can you explain a little more? I've never considered it before, but makes sense that there should be a user option top at least collapse it.

I think an option to collapse that stuff on the top right would be great, in fact I think it should be hidden by default - I mean it's just stats, basically, does anyone look at those? These things create quite a chunk of empty space further down the page.

It'd be nice to have the images bigger in my opinuon, but actually my main gripe is the way they are rendered to make them "fit" is the biggest issue for me, i other words photos usually just look soft and a bit shit, no matter the quality and size you upload, which is a real shame.

Screen Shot 2.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deine Mudder said:

I think an option to collapse that stuff on the top right would be great, in fact I think it should be hidden by default - I mean it's just stats, basically, does anyone look at those? These things create quite a chunk of empty space further down the page.

It'd be nice to have the images bigger in my opinuon, but actually my main gripe is the way they are rendered to make them "fit" is the biggest issue for me, i other words photos usually just look soft and a bit shit, no matter the quality and size you upload, which is a real shame.

Screen Shot 2.png

I’ll look into the image quality situation. Thanks for the heads up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 7:36 AM, misteraven said:

@Hua Guofang Can you explain a little more? I've never considered it before, but makes sense that there should be a user option top at least collapse it. One mobile it isn't present and with out layout, images stretch to virtually the full width of the device. As for desktop, yeah should be a n option to collapse it or toggle off, but what size display are you on that it squeezes the image to be so small that instagram would actually make more sense?

Sorry it took me so long to respond, busy days.

I do almost all of my browsing on laptops and desktops. So the below comments should be read in that context.

You can see in the attached image, having the stats section on the right compresses the middle section, where we post pics and responses to discussions. Previously, that middle field took up two thirds of the page. When browsing pics of graf, all you had to do was scroll, because the images took up two thirds of your screen. You could see all the detail and 'full glory' of the pics without having to open each one individually.

Now, the pics are compressed and small. To properly appreciate them you must open each one individually - the website seems to be configured for phones, much the way instagram is. Coming here to get an eyeful of cool pics has become more complicated for no actual gain. I would argue that the stats section on the right hand side is of little value to anyone and really only detracts from one of the core elements of this website; sharing pics of graf.

Cheers!

image.thumb.png.cca20d27e3ea94d2a4768629ace5503e.png

• Truth 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

@misteraven  ^^^^

Keen to keep on posting graf pics in brickslayers, but not if it's going to be a waste of time.

sorry man, been traveling for a couple weeks with only short stints at home. 

The feature you’re calling out is baked in. I can’t remove it. You can definitely get more real estate collapsing the navigation on the left. Likewise, those on larger desktop monitors will naturally see a larger image as well. I’ve reached out to the developers to see if they can implement a button to collapse but support has been shitty with them always and worse since Covid. Not sure I have a solution for you. I’d send you $500 for a new monitor if I could, but not sure when a technical fix will happen since it’s not at all in my control. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 11:32 PM, misteraven said:

sorry man, been traveling for a couple weeks with only short stints at home. 

The feature you’re calling out is baked in. I can’t remove it. You can definitely get more real estate collapsing the navigation on the left. Likewise, those on larger desktop monitors will naturally see a larger image as well. I’ve reached out to the developers to see if they can implement a button to collapse but support has been shitty with them always and worse since Covid. Not sure I have a solution for you. I’d send you $500 for a new monitor if I could, but not sure when a technical fix will happen since it’s not at all in my control. 

Thanks for getting back to me, and yeah, not surprised. It's been a trend for years that platform creators fill the screen full of panels, widgets and switches, inevitably crowding the actual content out.

Sorry to be a noob, but how do you collapse the stuff on the left? I can't seem to find the button that does that.