READ ME: 12oz Community Project - Trying to rally you guys up to help push the forum forward.

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

One interesting thing I notice about the dankmemes sub is that there is a karma threshold needed to allow posting.

I could see that function being pretty ideal in regards to certain content. Basically until you have spent enough time around here and know the operation you can’t chime in.....yet.

• Like 1

Some rules from a Discord server i participate in from time to time. This Discord is honestly the most civil and informative place on the internet that i’ve ever been, so i figured i would share it’s rules and guidelines as reference. 

I’m breaking Rule 9. (Dont tell.) 

C723BD6F-03A1-40BF-AFE9-E49A27A76120.thumb.jpeg.cd5116eab36ff3ec2da9eb1fcaa9cd88.jpeg

42AFC939-CF8E-488D-9219-B075B37964EF.thumb.jpeg.250b4eeb7ee42f9ef1abebf9d940f99e.jpeg

78E5C8E8-BBAE-448C-B599-21982E835E00.thumb.jpeg.2ea04c78882fc194bd4c1f34a31810e1.jpeg

DFEBF944-91C7-47D4-AAD5-D4FBF2966EDD.thumb.jpeg.d6d631dc30416eff8fa00a0554f79ad1.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 3:31 AM, Deine Mudder said:

Appreciate the thought you're putting into this but I really am not sure if structuring 12oz from above will indeed "improve the experience".

Imagine your local graffiti was being "structured".

I guess most OG members left not because of a lack of structure but because this forum wasn't fucking functioning for years, no offense,

and maybe they just got older, had family, interest changed etc. - and the new kids just lack the attention span required for interacting with other like one does in a forum - it's rather just commenting on IG and TikTok and whatever now.

Sure, there's some people and some ideas communicated on here I am offended by (blunt fascism and misogyny), but as with graffiti on the wall I don't like I just ignore / deal with it.

What you're intending to do is essentially buffing / censoring, right?

On 5/22/2021 at 11:03 AM, LUGR said:

95E2D4FC-258D-4FE8-A957-859FF2AAF7CB.jpeg

Most sense I’ve gotten out of this thread thus far. And since I’m here on the topic. Piggy backing off @Deine Mudderis my move. There is SO MUCH babble on here I just straight up choose to ignore. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, but one of the main source reasons I personally fall out of interest is how fucking annoyingly political and sensitive over feely the vibe has gotten. It’s fuckin outta control. Clearly we all got super wild old and most of y’all smart peoples mindset has either gone in one direction or the other on the politics of life. Cool. Never was here for any of that hype and I’m still not. I originally came around via graffiti which we all did (well MOST of us) and I associate that shit with hip hop, hood culture, underground gutter shit and creativity . Makes no god damned sense the direction the vibes gone on here. And If I’m being totally honest, ever since I started poking around again it feels like everyday I’m waiting for the curtains to slide over and a whole gang of closet kkk members just jump out and start buggin. Sounds extremely ridiculous but it’s the vibe. And I still don’t give af cause I’m cool with all y’all regardless of what side of the fence you hang on. I can post pictures again and that’s what I’ll do but I try not to bother with the rest of the kind of chatter that always seems to become a problem. 

Edited by NightmareOnElmStreet
  • Like 2
  • Truth 4
  • LOL! 1

On 5/22/2021 at 8:50 AM, Joker said:

I'll continue to do my best to keep the Toys Post Here thread alive with good content, and keep the posts civil.

I think this is a very cool thing you're doing in the toys post here thread.

Credit where it's due

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

@abrasivesaint& @NightmareOnElmStreetcoming through with gold. Me personally, I like political debate, but feel it has no place in channel zero at least because unlike me, most people either hate it, or just hate debate in general and come here for good vibes, and lols.

In short, politics is a huge turnoff. Basically the reasons I made a thread for political memery in the news section, which honestly because of it's meme centric nature doesn't really fit there either. I wonder if there's a way we could tag threads, as "political" and allow political discussion in there, and by default just filter them out unless users want to opt in.

I just think as of right now, that's probably the biggest hurdle according to the feedback I've picked up on.

I think the rules @abrasivesaintposted would be a good start to work with. I'll extract the text from those screen shots and copy paste into here so we can work with them. Some of those rules can be combined to reduce redundancy. I'd also like to see rules that apply specifically to formal debate, or political posts.

• Like 1
  • Snitch 1

1. Absolutely no racism whatsoever in any way, shape, or form. There will be zero tolerance of anything like this.
  2. Don't dox anyone.
  3. Political chat needs to betaken to DMs between users if it turns into an argument. There's enough bullshit political arguing online as it is. We don't want it here. It’s fine to disagree with each other too. There are many different ideologies here, and it not turning into a shitfest or arguing is what makes the chat so interesting.
  4. No bullying
  5. No “snowflake” vibes from any side or ism. Not interested. We have fucked up jokes here (within reason) all the time. If that's not for you then you're in the wrong rat-hole.
  6. No homophobia or sexism or transphobia at all ever. Get to fuck with that. We're not all soft cunts here but this isn't 4chan, at all.
  7. Nazis, misogynists, homophobes, racists, and tankies get the fucking rope (rope being kicked from the server).
  8. If you're easily offended, get to fuck.
  9. Don't post any content from the chat outside of the chat without asking permission.
  10. Kathy Griffin is an idiot
  11. No thirst-posting. That is, no one wants to hear you talk about how much you want to fuck someone or what sex you are into in your private life. It's gross to be talking about that here and often very disrespectful. Not saying be a prude, just don't be a teenager.
  12. Anyone advocating for violence, advising others on violence, living out their stupid revolutionary LARP wet dream, or calling for violence, will be immediately banned without warning. You are essentially jeopardizing the whole PF project when you do dumb shit like that. This Is NOT a place for violent activists to gather and plot. This is a place to learn, have friends, chat etc. There will be no warnings. You will be immediately removed from the server if you advocate for violence.
  13. Do not use this place as a means to recruit people to your political group or movement. If you're an activist and run a group, that's up to you. This is not a place for you to advertise. Popular Front is not tinder for "comrades", it's a grass root war reporting movement of like minded people from many different ideologies. Don't recruit and don't alienate people please.

Had to drop in the last rule I almost missed. Maybe these are a good starting point to start structuring our own guidelines.

Edited by Mercer
  • FuckBoi 1
  • Props 1

41 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I just think as of right now, that's probably the biggest hurdle according to the feedback I've picked up on.

I think the rules @abrasivesaintposted would be a good start to work with. I'll extract the text from those screen shots and copy paste into here so we can work with them. Some of those rules can be combined to reduce redundancy. I'd also like to see rules that apply specifically to formal debate, or political posts.

We can prepend tags. That function exists though it's rarely been used. I think I had it setup like that for the contributors when we attempted to use the forum to coordinate. Anyhow, certainly something we can do.

A few things that come to mind is that the forum itself definitely needs a mission statement / summary. After that, I think each forum section needs its own set of rules. What applies to Brickslayers is much different than what applies to News or Channel Zero for example. Likewise, I'd very much like to encourage the use of groups and will likely weave reminders / suggestions or some other heads up into them to remind people of groups, which I see as the closest thing we have to subreddits, ass the group owner can set their own rules, moderators, direction. I know those have yet to really take off, but I still believe they will. Its just a matter of time before someone manages to anchor one and set it off and then eventually we'll see others start to gain traction as they become "discovered".

In any case, I'm still looking for more context here... I hope that you guys participating in here will drop links to other platforms, forums etc that have rules or guidelines work looking at. Honestly, not that deep to spend an hour googling it and dropping links and then we'll move to the next step of cutting pasting portions that make sense for us.

Make sense?

12 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Yeah fuck this.  This is turning gay af really quick and i'm not going to be a part of it.  Remove me.

Odd that you wouldn’t see how some structure might help keep the forum a little cleaner and conversations on track, especially as it grows. But no worries, there’s nothing for you to do or be removed from. I’d suggested you as a member to help panel this since you’re pretty vocal and representative of one end of the spectrum, but no worries. 

I plan to proceed with this in one form or another. Might require various iterations to dial in or maybe in the future we find a better method to keep discussions from going off the rails. Either way, I’ll keep plugging away in an attempt to realize this vision I have for the forum and 12ozProphet as a whole and hopefully continue to make it a better place to meet people, have some lolz and maybe get turned into something new. 

• Props 2

and the discussions we have aren't bad, i think

i get heated af on here sometimes but its never from anything that really offends me.

i don't get offended that easily.

i mean there is some shit where i get mad, but thats different

i sound sluggish right now cuz this is my first week truly sober LMAOOO

I had one huge discussion about communism and that turned out pretty good.

I really don't mind more mods or any slight changes.

• Props 1

I'll give my 2 cents- 

I kind of like the idea of structure. As much as it might bother me to some extent and others a little more, I don't want the politics section to exist anymore. Politics ruins everything from relationships to friendships to comedy and so on. 

Don't overdo it with rules, but don't underdo it, either. 

To all of you, excluding Raven; This is Raven's baby. He's watched this shit grow from a damn catalog to a magazine to a forum that we call home. 
You've got projects and things that you love as much as he loves this place. Let's show him some respect and try to make it work. He gave us this place for free. 

• Like 2
  • Truth 2

2 hours ago, glorydays said:

and the discussions we have aren't bad, i think

i get heated af on here sometimes but its never from anything that really offends me.

i don't get offended that easily.

i mean there is some shit where i get mad, but thats different

i sound sluggish right now cuz this is my first week truly sober LMAOOO

I had one huge discussion about communism and that turned out pretty good.

I really don't mind more mods or any slight changes.

Congratulations on getting clean. Stay that way. 

• Truth 2
  • Props 1

Young enough to care but old enough to know better, people are saying what they think the right thing is. I like succinct ideas and if someone has to type a novel they're likely blowing smoke and this aint a beehive. This shit is like trying to make honey with mosquitos. If this site tries to be like social media or reddit its a huge loss, all those guidelines really do is empower people to control the narrative. IMO the people that want to censor political views on here are looking at this as a binary, there has been good momentum to keep channel zero like a dinner table where we dont talk about certain things but at the end of the day everything is political. A few dudes that wish they had clout on reddit or wherever but dont so they are trying to play down here in the minor leagues and others that are so out of touch their opinions on any street shit are irrelevant but would be great to ask for a limoncello recipe. Things can be seen as ternary and even tho I might not like some of yous I still see the value you add to the community. 

• Truth 1

1 hour ago, lord_casek said:

I'll give my 2 cents- 

I kind of like the idea of structure. As much as it might bother me to some extent and others a little more, I don't want the politics section to exist anymore. Politics ruins everything from relationships to friendships to comedy and so on. 

Don't overdo it with rules, but don't underdo it, either. 

To all of you, excluding Raven; This is Raven's baby. He's watched this shit grow from a damn catalog to a magazine to a forum that we call home. 
You've got projects and things that you love as much as he loves this place. Let's show him some respect and try to make it work. He gave us this place for free. 

Appreciate it, but this isnt about me. End of the day, yeah I built the ballpark, but the games are only worth playing because you guys came out. Forum is awesome because you make it that way. The burden of that, as well as the reward, is on all of you guys. I'm just facilitating it by providing a platform.

• Like 1

Just now, misteraven said:

Appreciate it, but this isnt about me. End of the day, yeah I built the ballpark, but the games are only worth playing because you guys came out. Forum is awesome because you make it that way. The burden of that, as well as the reward, is on all of you guys. I'm just facilitating it by providing a platform.

I don't think I'm alone in not wanting to disappoint you. 

• Truth 2

Here's a link to the forum for a podcast I've been listening to for like 15 years. I've dropped links to episodes, as well as kicked off threads inspired by ideas and episodes from this podcast. It is, without question, the most liberty minded thinking and discussion I've ever come across. It had a role in inspiring my move to NW Montana. Literally, walked away from an agency doing work for some of the coolest and most successful brands on the planet to carve out my corner in the mountains and focus on me and mine. 

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/welcome-center/getting-along-in-the-forums

The TOS – The Survival Podcast Forum’s Constitution

Several months into doing the podcast a group of listeners basically demanded a forum.  That core group along with new people who were hand selected over the years evolved into an amazing staff of moderators who run, manage and enforce the forums rules.  The rules on the forum are not my rules, they are not the rules of any individual moderator they are in fact the community’s rules or what we call the Terms of Service or TOS.

The TOS is really more than a list of rules it is in effect our community constitution.  To be a good member of the community it would be a great idea to read our TOS for the forum before making your first post.  They are not long, not written in legalize and anyone posting is expected to have read them before joining in on the community discussions.  Do that and you will have great experiences in the forums.

Getting Along in Forums in General

Our forum is extremely welcoming and made up of a great group of more than 6,000 people.  Many have become great friends and even connected off line and work together on prepping, modern survival or just hang out and drink a beer or grab a bite to eat together on occasion.   Like any community there are existing relationships and existing etiquette that the group has come to expect.  It isn’t a clique and everyone is welcome, there is no “good old boys club” that excludes others but it is a social group, being online doesn’t change that.

Often in internet forums a new person comes in with a thought or idea or something to share and just tries to ram rod it into an unrelated discussion or makes the same post in 5 different sub boards and gets upset if not quickly responded to.  Sometimes they come off rude, even if they do not intend to.  Many times they post a link to their personal website as a first post which is generally seen as spam.

Think about it this way, if you walked into a bar, a business mixer or a PTA meeting for the first time, would you start off by shoving business cards in people’s faces or telling everyone the way you think everything should be run at the event?  Of course not, if you did you would probably be unwelcome and sent packing, trust me it works exactly the same way on any well run forum.

What people tend to do in social meetings offline like a business mixer or a PTA meeting is listen more than talk at least a bit at first.  Then, they introduce themselves, they add to existing conversations, they ask questions, etc.  This can be a very short process as the point is simply to learn the feel of the group, what they are all about and where you have common ground.  Along with that you also get a feel for basic etiquette and that allows you to fit into the group as you contribute to it.

Most people would never show up at a business mixer and say to everyone they see, “hey go to my website and buy my stuff” or show up and pick a fight about religion or politics with folks they just met.  Those same people though sometimes do exactly those types of things online in a forum as if basic courtesy don’t apply simply because the group is “virtual”.  Please remember our virtual group is made of of real people.  I promise you that if you approach our forum with the same attitude you would go to a first meeting of a church group, business mixer or social club with, you will have a wonderful experience with our forum.

Rules are Rules – Free Speech Does Not Apply

We believe in freedom of speech, we just don’t believe you have a right to your free speech via the private property of another person.  The forums are not a public resource, I pay for them and their upkeep, your free speech doesn’t give you the right to break the community’s rules.  No you can’t just say anything you want, if you are in doubt of the rules, again just read the TOS.   Let me explain this in an easy to understand analogy if you find this an oppressive attitude.

I believe in your free speech and if you wanted to spray paint something in big red letters (even something that highly offends me) on the side of your house I would defend your right to do so.  Why?  It is your house, it is your property, you can use it as you see fit.  But, should I be required to allow you to spay that message on my house as part of supporting your free speech?  Very few people with an IQ higher then 14 would ever expect that.  So why should you expect the right to use my site or my community’s forum free of our rules under the auspices of “free speech”?

Your free speech applies with your right to speak and be heard via public resources and your private property.  You can say anything you want on your website or your blog.  You can say anything you want that complies with our TOS on ours, we hope that makes sense.

Fighting the Moderators and the Rules a Bad Idea

On occasion we get a person joining the forum with their own ideas of how our community should be run and what the rules should be.   Most of the time these folks are swiftly warned by a moderator that they are in violation of the TOS and asked to refrain from such behavior in the future.    Many understand that rules are rules and either comply or find a community more in tune with their particular agenda.

Then we have the occasional assclown that insists on trying to tell the moderator staff the way things should be.  They generally tell the moderators no less then screw off and state some version of  “I will damn well do as I please”, such users get banned permanently and swiftly.

Humorously such people often appeal directly to me via email and plead either ignorance of the rules or more likely that they were falsely accused.  I do not run the forum the moderators do, if you violate the TOS and get banned emailing me is a complete waste of your energy.

Lastly on this, snipers have a old saying, “if you run you will only die tired” on the forum we say, “argue with our moderators about rules and you will only be banned and frustrated”.    Simply put if you are advised that a post of yours is a TOS violation, it is a TOS violation.  Arguing the point is not advised.  If you state that you will continue to post similar posts, we will believe you at your word and ban you.

We Really are Friendly People

The above sounds strict but only for the benefit of the community.  The forum and our moderators are very friendly and open people.  There are boards on many subjects and odds are no matter what part of prepping you are most engauged in is discussed in the forums in one of the boards.

Don’t let the tone of the above put you off, 99% of the people who join the forum probably don’t even need to read this page.  I put it up for the 1%.  This 1% is the group that takes up 90% of the moderator staffs time, energy and resources.  To provide the best forum we can for the 99% that understand basic courtesy and rules we have decided that the 1% need a cut and dry explanation and therefore get a very short rope as it pertains to the community’s rules.

In other words the rules don’t exist to oppress the majority, they exist to prevent the minority from ruining the community for everyone.  In essence, we are a constitutional republic where the rights of all are protected.  We are all bound by the rules even me.  That is true equality in a community.

https://forums.thesurvivalpodcast.com//index.php?topic=625.0

THE TERMS OF USE AND POLICIES OF THE SURVIVAL PODCAST FORUM

THE SURVIVAL PODCAST FORUM is dedicated to free exchange of information among like-minded individuals who wish to learn and share with others about self-sufficiency, survival living, preparedness, self defense, liberty and freedom, and how to live life when times get tough or even if they don't.
Members here are free to discuss various topics, but there are certain rules that must be followed.
The Management doesn't ask for much, simply that all members be respectful and abide by the Terms of Use and Policies of the SURVIVAL PODCAST FORUM.

THE INTENT OF THIS FORUM:
The intent of The Survival Podcast Forum is for the sharing of knowledge and information as it relates to Modern Survival.  This Forum is a private forum that cherishes the ability for citizens of all nations, shapes and sizes to express themselves freely.  However, those members that are disruptive to or dismissive of the intent of the forums may be excused from the forum by Site Staff with prejudice.  Ignoring a request by site staff may result in punitive action, up to & including being banned from the site.

TERMS OF USE AND POLICIES:

1) Any and all illegal acts will not be allowed on this forum. Any advocation or talk of illegal activity will result in immediate termination of membership.

2)Sexual harassment will not be tolerated. Respect will be shown to all members, be they male or female.

3) Management will not be held responsible for any acts or communication pertaining to anything on this forum.

4) Certain topics will not be allowed such as explosives, drug use by members, or any topic which is Racist/Hateful/Derogatory/Slanderous. This means no hate speech or personal attacks. Some topics may be offensive to some people and if a topic offends you we ask that you not post on that particular topic.  Debate in our Political section can and does get heated at times and members should expect this but please keep it professional and do not single out individual members.

5) You must be at least 18 to use this forum.

6) Management has a right to change any and all Terms or add to this Terms of use policy.

7) The SURVIVAL PODCAST FORUM does not provide financial advice. The discussions that take place of this forum as well as on the SURVIVAL PODCAST show are opinion only. What is provided is suggestions for guidance, not specific advice and should not be construed any differently.  Seek the help of a professional for "proper" advice.
The Ownership nor the Management will not be held accountable for any action you might take after visiting this website.

8 ) If buying, selling, trading, bartering of items and gear among members takes place, the Ownership and Management of this forum is not responsible for any result of your transactions.  All transactions must take place in the Swap Meet board.

9) Articles and News Items may be posted for FAIR USE, but we ask that if at all possible that members get permission before posting copyrighted material.

10) You may not post or link to pornographic or obscene material.  Additionally, you may not post nude images or "adult-oriented" material, but you may link to such material only if it is necessary for the purposes of discussion and you include a warning about the content.  We ask that you use common sense, respect the sensibilities of your fellow forum members, and remember that some people may be viewing TSP Forum from work or with children present.  We also remind you that this forum is intended solely for an adult audience -- we will frequently allow posts that some will consider offensive or in poor taste.  The board Admins and Mods will have the final say if there is a question about the appropriateness of anything posted.

11) Please note that that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to 100% confirm the validity of posts.
The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

12) You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The Ownership and Management of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

IDK, just kicking thoughts around in my head for now, but what use would it be if I do not share because who knows what bad ideas or great ideas may snow ball into something.  

Right now I am trying to think of what all the social media outlets do not have (collectively), what's something fresh, something new to the scene that may push 12oz forward?  

At the moment, I am thinking of an actual Chanel, animation, sitcom, a short or something based on graffiti or anyone of these title threads.   

I may sound kinda lame or something, and not sure how much it may cost to start something like this but it's just a can to kick for starters. 

🤷‍♂️ IDK, just trying to see who kicks the can next. 

6 hours ago, lord_casek said:

You're over the toughest part. Have you tried Kratom to ease the withdrawal or are you just going straight without any help? 

i was prescribed suboxolone or whatever its called

but i only take if it becomes super fucking unbearable

• Like 1

8 hours ago, glorydays said:

i was prescribed suboxolone or whatever its called

but i only take if it becomes super fucking unbearable

Go get yourself some Kratom and try to stay away from suboxone. Plenty of people who get addicted to that shit, too. 
You should be able to find it at a local head shop. 

You've got this. Just don't go back to that poison. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1